Movie Reviews 2.0

Yeah I am mother is fantastic in various aspects.

Guns akimbo is really fun with the brain turned off, and the movie from start already didn't take itself overly seriously.

Btw kyoani have tons of scenes with crazy amounts of animated frames. But they mix those with the usual anime cheapness of still frames etc.

I wonder if they got proper big budget, how wonderful the animation will be

You guys have got to check out Underwater, fans of Alien, lovercraftian horror and survival movies like The Grey would love it. The last third act of the movie especially really took me by surprise with
that giant Cthulhu esque monster
and you really feel for the main character personal struggle. Only downside is how murky the movie looked the whole time and it's hard to tell what happens in certain scenes.
Went into it expecting nonsense trash, finished up pretty impressed.
A lot of Cloverfield mixed with Alien but with tense underwater stuff.
I was sure they were going to go for the psychotic break twist & it turned out she'd just murdered everyone.
Kind of a shame they didn't put in a little confirmation of that in the end credits or something. (or they did & I missed it?)

I managed to enjoy Underwater despite Kristen Stewart.

Anybody see Extraction? I watched it a couple of weeks ago and was very surprised on how good it was. The plot was very formulaic but it's there to set the scene for the action sequences, and boy I haven't seen sequences like that in quite awhile. Incredible action setups, especially a particularly long "single-shot" sequence that astounded me how smooth the transitions were. The actors put in a believable performance, Hemsworth quite decent in it.

Highly recommended.

Agreed, Underwater was really well executed and probably wins the award for not fucking around at the start of the movie lol

Hmm, there was supposed to be some kind of reference to The Abyss tied in to the underwater bit there.

The must see movie of 2020 is Assassin 33 A.D
Imagine a bunch of christians watched the terminator and thought "We can do that"

Extremists use a time machine to go back and commit the ultimate jihad of killing Jesus and the Disciples before the resurrection. The young geniuses that created time travel must go back in time, dodge the assassins, interact with Biblical characters and make the corrections before the time line overrides itself and starts the apocalypse.

The other night I watched a Netflix movie called In the Shadow of the Moon (2019). I quite enjoyed it. It was better than I had anticipated. It's not a major blockbuster but if you enjoy a bit of sci-fi, give this a go. Official Plot summary:

In 1988, Philadelphia police officer Thomas Lockhart (Boyd Holbrook), hungry to become a detective, begins tracking a serial killer who mysteriously resurfaces every nine years. But when the killer's crimes begin to defy all scientific explanation, Locke's obsession with finding the truth threatens to destroy his career, his family, and possibly his sanity.​

The must see movie of 2020 is Assassin 33 A.D
Imagine a bunch of christians watched the terminator and thought "We can do that"

Extremists use a time machine to go back and commit the ultimate jihad of killing Jesus and the Disciples before the resurrection. The young geniuses that created time travel must go back in time, dodge the assassins, interact with Biblical characters and make the corrections before the time line overrides itself and starts the apocalypse.
Lol, ew, that's sooo wrong... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

i watched color out of space, based on the hp lovecraft short story
highly recommended

I thought it was a horrible Nicolas Cage movie, and that says a lot. It just didn't seem entertaining. But I can see how some might enjoy it.

I thought it was a horrible Nicolas Cage movie, and that says a lot. It just didn't seem entertaining. But I can see how some might enjoy it.
well i have roleplayed call of cthulhu pen&paper and it just gave me the vibes

Just watched "Blood Machines" and was very impressed. IMO, visuals, music and story was spot on!
Well that was an interesting trailer, not really sure what I just watched but looks like something that will end up a cult classic. Had some interesting Terry Gilliam and Lynch vibes and some freaky CGI design and effects that I liked. Must check it out.

Well that was an interesting trailer, not really sure what I just watched but looks like something that will end up a cult classic. Had some interesting Terry Gilliam and Lynch vibes and some freaky CGI design and effects that I liked. Must check it out.
TBH I never heard about it until the other day and seriously did not expect much. It has a Blade Runner/Cyberpunk theme with an interesting approach to AI augmented machines. Maybe I should have put the post in the TV series thread since it is basically a bunch of mini-chapters combined into one movie, but maybe that's the "secret sauce" that draws you in.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Back