Movie Reviews 2.0

Regarding Sean Young's roles in Dune, and Blade Runner 2049 (major spoilers)

In the movie Dune, Sean Young plays a character who, in the sequel to the book the movie is based on, dies giving birth to some very unique offspring (who can save us). Her "husband" is later offered, from a highly unscrupulous master of genetic engineering, the opportunity to get a sort of clone of her, in exchange for sacrificing his principles. In the movie Blade Runner 2049 Sean Young plays a character who dies giving birth to a very unique offspring (who can save us). Her "husband" is later offered, from a highly unscrupulous master of genetic engineering, the opportunity to get a sort of clone of her, in exchange for sacrificing his principles. I've yet to see anyone else note this. P.S. In both stories, powerful forces want control of the genetic marvels she gave birth to.

Digital Sean Young had better chemistry with Harrison Ford than the real one.
lol, she comes across as pretty intense, so I guess big name actors are reluctant to fully engage with her, and really share the screen. Though I think the scene where Ford and Young do get together was a fine example of steamy noir.

seanyoungwink.gif~original

Jusr returned from the Infinity War showing and was very pleased with it. Only a few minor nitpicks, but way smaller than what I usually find in movies. I think they pretty much got this right!
4.75/5

Might have to see it again in Bangkok in some fancy theater. There is aa Samsung Led Cinema screen in one of the movie theaters over there, with 4k HDR picture. Not sure if this movie is supported, but I might go see it anyway.

Jusr returned from the Infinity War showing and was very pleased with it. Only a few minor nitpicks, but way smaller than what I usually find in movies. I think they pretty much got this right!
4.75/5

Might have to see it again in Bangkok in some fancy theater. There is aa Samsung Led Cinema screen in one of the movie theaters over there, with 4k HDR picture. Not sure if this movie is supported, but I might go see it anyway.

Yes same review very good movie...

Well well well... Avengers Infinity War! How can we talk about it without a lot of huge spoilers. The whole movie is a huge spoiler so I guess we’ll have to wait a bit.

Needless to say, it was epic and dramatic beyond repair.

Some things left me a bit puzzled, but all in all it’s pretty much unmissable for anyone remotely interested in any of these characters.

I don't care about superheroes so I watched The Post instead which I really liked. The political drama, the similarities between Nixon and Trump, it's all so in the zeitgeist. I had to immediately re-watch All the President's Men after because of the way The Post ended.

"History never repeats itself, but it rhymes."

"All the President's Men" is just such a damn good movie. It could easily have been an hour longer, there's more twists and turns in the watergate affair that they didn't include, the saturday massacre thing where Nixon fired the special counsel investigator for example.

There's a free documentary by Robert Redford with Dustin Hoffman, that guy Bernstein and that other Post guy whatsiscalled (all that would come up in my head was Stock Aitken Waterman lol) on youtube about AtPM/Watergate from 2016; it's about 50 mins to an hour long IIRC and well worth the time! Super interesting stuff, both regarding the movie itself and also the actual time era/watergate debacle.

Unusually, I've just seen the Avengers movie very early in the release and enjoyed it. Very well done which was a slight surprise after Ultron which I didn't think a great deal about. At least they got the pointless Stan Lee cameo out of the way early on. ;)

Well well well... Avengers Infinity War! How can we talk about it without a lot of huge spoilers. The whole movie is a huge spoiler so I guess we’ll have to wait a bit.

Needless to say, it was epic and dramatic beyond repair.

Some things left me a bit puzzled, but all in all it’s pretty much unmissable for anyone remotely interested in any of these characters.

Well I went to see it again in that Samsung Led Cinema theater. The picture was nice for sure, but perhaps not mindblowingly better. Curious little thing is that I first tried to pick a seat that was already taken as I was buying my ticket, then the ticket lady picked the best available seat for me. Row H seat number 10. The same row and number I had in Samui, also my last name starts with an H and has 10 letters. There are bigger things at play here. Maybe I go see it in Imax tomorrow haha, never been to those before.

edit: and Yes I walk around with a Samui disc golf jersey with Thanos printed on it :mrgreen: I've had it for a while, another one has Dr Evil printed on it. o_O

Attachments

• paragon.jpg
    paragon.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 16
  • thanos.jpg
    thanos.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Saw Infinity War today on an early screening so that I could get good seats without having to pre-order in advance, because I hate that.

Shiet, that's a well and truly packed movie. Hardly a single dead moment. Even the relaxed talky scenes, like with Vision and Scarlet Witch early on are very short and condensed. Jump cuts instead of showing characters travelling from A to B, and so on.

I'd say this is one overstuffed movie, honestly. It's long, and it FEELS long; not because it's slow, but rather because there's so many scenes and characters squeezed into a limited timespan and rapid cuts and stuff happening all over. (Btw, my rear also thought it felt long, especially waiting through ALL those million-and-one names in the credits for that final scene... Hmm! :p)

Then again, you can't half-ass a concept like this one either; if you're gonna do it then you gotta do it, all the way. Throw everything + kitchen sink at that fan; there's no other choice. This is what Marvel has been building towards for 10 friggin years now. This is it! Anyone who enjoys superheroes have to see this.

End result: very epic, very watchable. 8.5/10

Btw, three curses and a pox on parents who bring a six-year-old with them to a movie like this one! GNNNH. Fucking kid couldn't understand a single thing that was happening and seemed bored to death, especially whenever anyone was talking, because you know, they don't teach english in pre-school over here. :p

Oh, and Random Lady, you brought an aluminium foil-wrapped chocolate bar with you? SERIOUSLY?! GGNNNNNHHHHH!!!! I could strangle you with my non-infinity-gauntleted hands. Just FYI!

"All the President's Men" is just such a damn good movie. It could easily have been an hour longer, there's more twists and turns in the watergate affair that they didn't include, the saturday massacre thing where Nixon fired the special counsel investigator for example.

I agree, it is excellent. I watched it a few days ago for the first time in years. I guess my only bug-bear with it is that if you don't already know the full story then the full impacy of what Woodward & Bernstein achieved is difficult to fathom.

Currently watching Good Night and Good Luck, which is about Ed Murrow and his campaign against McCarthy. Worth a watch if you like the old-fashioned concept of the media standing up to abuses of power.

Worth a watch if you like the old-fashioned concept of the media standing up to abuses of power.
Yes, I saw it back in 2006, on a tiny LCD screen embedded in the backrest of the seat in front of me on a transatlantic flight back from Merica to good ol' boring euro disneyland. It was a fecking great movie. Of course, later Ed Murrow proved that nobody's a saint when he became the director of the USIA, so there's that as well. :p

On a sidenote, the entertainment system in the Boeing 777 surprised me back then, with the unexpectedly (to me anyway) wide selection of movies to choose from. I literally could not decide, which is why it became this one. :D Naturally, being a more sedatedly paced movie it works better on those tiny screens as well. In comparison, the movie screening on all monitors on the outbound trip - on a much noisier 747 - was one of Robin Williams' worst movies ever, "RV". May he rest in peace, poor man!

Beyond the Black Rainbow. I liked some things in this movie, but my final opinion is...
this movie should be titled "Beyond the Black Turd".

The red turtle. A very lovely film. Visually enticing and the story is interesting.
However, I found it a bit poor in comparison to other Studio Ghibli movies regarding the storytelling. Oh, and the first time I saw that computer animated red turtle I was "yuck". After a while you get used to it, but at first it struck me as an out-of-place element.

Her. After watching this movie, I concluded that there are two valid interpretations about it: on the one hand, we can conclude that relationships with such advanced OS are not true relationships, just a mockery (OS are programmed to behave that way) that sometimes can fake very convincingly, almost perfectly, real-life relationships. On the other hand, those relationships are valid but most fail because we humans are not up to this purest, superior form of love.

The Shape of Water. I liked it, even though some parts of it were a bit disgusting. :D

Went to see Infinity War last night. Was a lot more impressive than anticipated. Very well put together, far less cringe moments than a lot of the recent Marvel movies. Actually really liked how they portrayed Thanos.

8/10

Btw, three curses and a pox on parents who bring a six-year-old with them to a movie like this one! GNNNH. Fucking kid couldn't understand a single thing that was happening and seemed bored to death, especially whenever anyone was talking, because you know, they don't teach english in pre-school over here. :p

Dude, stop copying my life! :O
It's not enough that you had parents behaving somewhat similar to mine, but even now you also had someone bringing their small child to the cinema for Infinity War! On my case it was a baby of 1 year old tops, with the pram and all!

Infinity War was impressive if only for the fact that it somehow was not a giant clusterfuck. On its own it probably wouldn't be much of a film, though. It's a bunch of really cool set pieces strung together. My biggest criticism is how it pretty much ignores what happened in Civil War. That was supposedly a big deal in the MCU. However in actuality it might as well not have happened at all. Kinda feels like there should have been a movie in between the two. It's also becoming harder and harder for me to divorce the MCU on the silver screen from the MCU that's as cold and calculated a business venture as they come. At least for me, this has definitely had a big impact on whatever emotional impact they were going for in the moment. Mild spoilers:
We might not have a precise idea of how they're gonna write themselves out of IW's ending (although I'd imagine it's gonna involve a certain mcguffin and its conveniently built-in get-out-of-jail-free card), but we know there'll be another Spider-man in 2019 and we also know they're not gonna let something inconvenient like the death of a character get in the way of milking their most lucrative cash cows like Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wondering whether Antman is gonna take place in an inbetween Infinity Wars universe now.

Last edited:
Well we all kinda know that 'somehow' the thing that happens at the end
(and perhaps a couple of 'things' that happened before the end, like Gamora's death) will be changed, or the next few Marvel films that are slated for release in the next couple of years would need to be prequels, and ain't nobody got time for that.
We all know what will happen, more or less. The reward will be how they actually do it, if they find a way to make it interesting. Then again you could say that of pretty much every movie.

I assume we're referring to
the time infinity stone and its use already in IW to reverse the destruction of the mind stone... which was one part I didn't like.

As you said, it's the rewrite mechanism that allows them to do anything and I don't really like plots written around those mechanisms. It's akin to "it was just a dream".

Back