Movie Reviews 2.0

My only real issue is that the fundamental premise of the plot is a little weak, considering the levels of technology the 'Capital' has available - force fields, matter generation etc. The fact that they need to wickedly dominate the other districts for their resources or as 'punishment' for an attempted uprising 75 years earlier is a little weak. Any civilisation with technology like that isn't going to be reliant on coal miners for their power, for example!

From what I remember from the books, and it's pretty much part of the 3rd book, is that the Capitol (that's how they call it) is reliant on the districts' resources. And once they are inevitably out of the Capitol's control and independent, the Capitol starts getting weaker. All the way up to the predictable finale. Surely I don't need spoiler tags? Happy ending and all that?

How does Kurz know Willard's name? He never introduces himself.

What a strange, strange movie. At least the Redux version is very, very surreal in long stretches. Is it a (drug) psychosis we're witnessing, or actual reality?

Not sure I really liked it, but it sure is a movie...a motion picture...prime, fundamental experience. Soldiers acting on their own, without guidance by superior commanders, insanity... Lots and lots of insanity. In fact, most of the characters we meet are more or less deranged, or become so during the course of the movie, including almost all of the characters on the boat except the skipper, whatsisname.

If I'd known the movie had so much crazy in it I probably wouldn't have bought it. Really could have done without that.

Score: ?/10.

How does Kurz know Willard's name? He never introduces himself.

What a strange, strange movie. At least the Redux version is very, very surreal in long stretches. Is it a (drug) psychosis we're witnessing, or actual reality?

Not sure I really liked it, but it sure is a movie...a motion picture...prime, fundamental experience. Soldiers acting on their own, without guidance by superior commanders, insanity... Lots and lots of insanity. In fact, most of the characters we meet are more or less deranged, or become so during the course of the movie, including almost all of the characters on the boat except the skipper, whatsisname.

If I'd known the movie had so much crazy in it I probably wouldn't have bought it. Really could have done without that.

Score: ?/10.

You seem to be referring to Apocalypse Now, yes? It's Kurtz and the movie is a modern retelling of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Some of the dialog borders on word for word. It's not a war movie but a witness to mankind's inner evil and the battle to resist it.

It is one of the most powerful films ever made, IMHO, which isn't surprising as the book is one of the most important ever written. The book isn't set to a background of war, but rather, cast within the context of colonialism and exploitation in the Congo. Nonetheless the reader still gets to witness "the horror, the horror."

You seem to be referring to Apocalypse Now, yes?
Yes, that is correct, Sir. :)

It's Kurtz and the movie is a modern retelling of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
I was a bit unsure if it was Kurz or Kurtz; guess I got confused by the quest NPC Kurzen in World of Warcraft, whom was inspired by the character from the movie (and whom isn't actually even in the game anymore now... :)), and I've heard about the movie's connection to Heart of Darkness somewhere before, maybe in some work of literature or something, I dunno. I've never read the book though, but I did listen to the movie commentary track earlier today and it was very very interesting. Coppola had a lot of informative things to say about the production of the movie and the reasoning behind it, the script and so on, I really liked it. Never really seen any Coppola movies before - I got the Godfathers standing in their BR 40th Anniversary box complete with a reproduction of the shooting script (an entire soft-cover book), but haven't gotten around to seeing them yet. Coppola was actually one of the best commentators I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, he spoke broadly about many aspects of the making of the movie, its cast and even related personal matters.

It was certainly a very well-made movie, but jesus... The crazyness in it. That they didn't all go buggo making it astounds me. ...Especially Coppola himself, considering all the risks and difficulties he talks about in the comments.

It's not a war movie but a witness to mankind's inner evil and the battle to resist it.
Yes, I noticed. I initially confused Apocalypse Now with Full Metal Jacket, and expected to see Gunnery Sergeant Heartman roaring at a bunch of wet-eared fresh recruits upon starting the disc, heh. Guess I know which one to buy next now! :) What other important 'Nam movies are there, I've hardly seen any of them actually. I'd happily accept some recommendations.

It is one of the most powerful films ever made, IMHO
Yeah, I can certainly agree to that.

Platoon is pretty enjoyable. I found it difficult to like The Deer Hunter but that was very highly regarded by many and features some excellent actors.

I just watched Frozen in 3D and it was ok - very Disney, with some minor innovations (
very nice take on the 'evil' queen mixed with the classical cause by trying to prevent
). The Mickey Mouse short that preceeded it though, was very awesome. Very, very awesome.

I 100% loved Despicable Me 2 though, which I rented on DVD (BluRay was taken) and then bought on BluRay and in 3D afterwards. Looks great both in 2D and 3D. It's one of my new highlights in visual quality.

Saw The Croods yesterday with the family. The looks of the main character were somehow familiar but I didn't quite figure out why - then the end credits told she was originally voiced by Emma Stone and I was like 'Ahha!'. We were watching the dubbed version so I couldn't identify her voice, but it's funny how they'd managed that (accidentally or not).

The higher profile animation films are pretty safe bets nowadays for entertaining both the kids and the parents. This one was good fun, too.

Saw the HFR 3D version.

Mind blown.

I'm not sure. There are some definite benefits to the HFR version but in many places it looked pretty rubbish to me, i.e. too real, i.e. clearly a movie set and a bunch of actors. I still think its the future but there were definitely parts of the film where my suspension of belief was destroyed by the high framerate purely because everything looked too real. Effects were awesome though.

Still on my old pictures roll, just finished The Shining.

Well Executed, Still Pretty Crap Movie.

Definitely overrated (as hell): it was not fun, and Not Scary. At All.

Awesome sets, but Nicholson overacted throughout most of the movie, and Duvall's mother was a completely one-dimensional character. All she did was scream and gape inanely through all the horror bits. Kinda speaks how the makers of this movie look upon women, not that I really expected her to go like, "get away from him you BITCH!", holding a pulse rifle and a flamethrower in each arm (power loaders obviously hadn't been invented in the '70s yet when this film was made) as she stands over Danny, but shee-it, couldn't the mother have been a LITTLE more interesting than what we got?

The story just didn't make any sense. Why did Torrence go mad? We don't know! Except, the story demands it, so he does. Wut! Yeah, yeah. Indian burial ground, alla that crap. Which explains why the hotel is full of ghosts that are all white people? This book was obviously written while King was still an addict, that's the only way to explain it... Also, was the bartender the devil, since Torrence says he'd give his soul for a drink just the moment before he appears? *shrug* Who gives a shit, really? This was a bad movie.

3/10

Unfortunately I think we don't have the HFR version in my country. Basically imo HFR is arriving at least 10yrs too late. I want to immerse my self in a movie by covering my fov with the screen, but doing that right now is just asking for a headache. Right now I try to sit in the mid to back row because of it. Movies need to be shot in at least 8k with HFR. That would be glorious (the more the better).

Saw The Desolation of Smaug on Sunday in all its HFR 3d glory, and I thought it looked utterly awful and damn near ruined the experience for me. Everything looked fake. Styrofoam trees looked like styrofoam trees, fake beards looked like fake beards, sets looked like sets. It was a 3 hour behind-the-scenes visit basically. Otherwise I thought it was quite enjoyable. Still a far cry from the TLotR which the hobbit movies are so desperately trying to top (marginalizing the role of the titular character in the process for the sake of implementing a pointless ninja-elf-on-dwarf romance and an overlong barrel riding mini-game - extended fiction my ass), but at least it wasn't as leaden as the first movie. I really liked Smaug too.

I saw the new Paranormal Activity last week.

That's it, nothing to report really. Already gone from my brain. That's how good it was.

But I'm off to see American Hustle tonight, which is meant to be pretty good so here's hoping for a more memorable night.

Saw Robocop yesterday. Surprisingly not terrible movie, even if the message was sort of all over the place. Big props for being about something, though. It certainly wasn't the dim-witted, modernized CG fest I expected it to be. As for the CG itself: it was absolutely spectacular. The initial reveal of Murphy's leftovers resting inside the machine was incredibly effective and damn unsettling in its cruelty. Didn't like the
love-conquers-all
ending very much though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of assumed the story of of a 30 year old movie would be fair game by now. Besides, I paraphrased it to the point where you couldn't possibly know what I was talking about unless you've seen the movie yourself.

There's no
love
involved in the ending of the original robocop, so spoiler tags would have been appreciated.

*Edit: /facepalm

Back