Motorstorm, F1, GTHD - AA and HDR

deepbrown

Veteran
I know the topic of whether AA and HDR is possible on the ps3 is tackled in another thread. We all know Ninja Theory have made leaps and bounds in this area...but questions arise about other First Party/Second Party games.

Motorstorm clearly has HDR...from your opinions...does the game employ MSAA? This question also applies to F1 and GTHD.

I hope we can clear this up for good here and now.

is this in the right section? It's about the games themselves, rather than whether it was possible, so I felt the games section was the right one.

i know that Heavenly Sword can do AA + HDR at same time but some people i know told me that its not FP something HDR. what's that all about???

i know that Heavenly Sword can do AA + HDR at same time but some people i know told me that its not FP something HDR. what's that all about???
It's about them not knowing what HDR is ;). The HS HDR doesn't use the common floating point RGB channels per pixel. It uses a different colour space that's mapped onto hue and intensity, with the range provided by the intensity value, which is FP (dunno what precision but I think 16bit). So brightness, the bit that matters in HDR which is all about extremes of light intensity, is FP. And at less bandwidth and memory consumption, and with no oversaturation (in theory!) of colours in over-exposed areas, but with a pixel shader cost and an inability to easily do transparency blending.

It's certainly isn't bloom, check out Monaco footage if you can still find it on GameTrailers, that just can't be bloom

Indeed I've seen it...and I myself thought it was HDR as well. Yet, after hearing certain opinions and since F1 is 4xAA...doubts entered my mind. Cambridge SCE are very close to Ninja Theory also...perhaps the technology and coding by developers for the PS3 is further along than at first thought...

But still...the more developers can bring to the table on these games, would be much appreciated.

It's present.

Just to let you know...I'm not a troll (heaven forbid!) This news pleases me more than you know...is this kind of thing under NDA's...so Microsoft doesn't get their ears pricked up on this information? (so far more PS3 games have employed 4xAA than 360 games...?)

(so far more PS3 games have employed 4xAA than 360 games...?)

I really can’t say…who has the most across the board. Judging solely off my personal collection of PS3 and Xbox 360 games; my Xbox 360 enjoys the jaggie-fest crown at the moment.

IMO, the hardware (PS3 & Xbox 360) are more limited by the developer’s talents and resources. Yes, the hardware(s) have their strengths and weaknesses …but more solely towards the developer’s strengths and weaknesses.

I know the topic of whether AA and HDR is possible on the ps3 is tackled in another thread. We all know Ninja Theory have made leaps and bounds in this area...but questions arise about other First Party/Second Party games.

Motorstorm clearly has HDR...from your opinions...does the game employ MSAA? This question also applies to F1 and GTHD.

I hope we can clear this up for good here and now.

Motorstorm has no AA (first hand experience) but low precision HDr (check sky banding).

GTHD should use 2xAA at 720p and no AA at 1080p.

F1 has what seems to be 4xAA and the lightning seems to be non HDr.

Motorstorm has no AA (first hand experience) but low precision HDr (check sky banding).

GTHD should use 2xAA at 720p and no AA at 1080p.

F1 has what seems to be 4xAA and the lightning seems to be non HDr.

Well that's what I thought. Some say Motorstorm has 2xMSAA...and provided me with images to look at and said...it's definately there... like this one

MotorStorm_20070122_009-grpA.jpg

So why do people think otherwise?

Well that's what I thought. Some say Motorstorm has 2xMSAA...and provided me with images to look at and said...it's definately there

So why do people think otherwise?

Becouse the heavy use of motion-blur makes them think 2xAA is used becouse the blur makes it harder to spot the jaggies when driving. Still it's easy to see and if the car is parked then it's impossible to miss the lack of AA. :smile:

Edit: By the way that screenshots seems to be touched up (photoshoped) becouse a blur filter seems to have been applied (shadows edges are to smooth).

Last edited by a moderator:
Becouse the heavy use of motion-blur makes them think 2xAA is used becouse the blur makes it harder to spot the jaggies when driving. Still it's easy to see and if the car is parked then it's impossible to miss the lack of AA. :smile:

Edit: By the way that screenshots seems to be touched up (photoshoped) becouse a blur filter seems to have been applied (shadows edges are to smooth).

The screenshots are not touched up, and shadow aliasing is only really bad at certain angles and most noticable in motion. The game has the same 2xMSAA both in the car selection screen and in-game.
Vehicle selection:

In-Game:

As usual sorry for the poor capture method, you'd think by now I would have bought a better camera... But it gets the job done.

Back