All Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

Thats not at all true for every gamer though. Having the pc teamed to a TV has gotten more popular then ever before, and the notion that Windows and steam are crap is a false statement too. Its never been easier and plug & play to use a Windows (gaming) pc.
I have never had problems with updates whatsoever with Steam, Origin or Windows itself (the main ones i use). With a fast connection you dont even notice it.... Steam can also update in the background while gaming (like the xbox does/can do?) which isnt a problem really in most cases.

Gaming laptops are also on the rise, they are capable and much more energy efficient.
With Steam Big picture you don't really need a mouse and keyboard.

I am wondering if Sony is preparing to leave hardware behind them. It's got to cost a lot of money to develop new playstations each generation and a huge out lay of capital to produce them all. if they are able to make their own successful windows / linux launcher they could continue to sell large numbers of software units without all those costs

You can't beat the plug and play of a console. I prefer pc gaming but its practically daily crashes and glitches.

Your really doing something wrong or your configuration is. Daily crashes and glitches, you playing CP2077 release version on W98? :p
Seriously i have been pc/console gaming since the mid 90's, and seeing how things were on the PC back then.... It was a mess with drivers, windows as it was etc. Nowadays the gap has closed alot, with windows nowadays everything seamingly updates in the background at automatic times, same for games, its just click and play with Steam/origin/egs etc. Back in the day you had to install everything manually and hoping it worked. You couldnt even just connect the PC to the TV/home cinema system like today you can just connect the hdmi cable and it works.
Controller support was very iffy then too, now your dual sense/xbox controllers will just work as on the console.

The consoles have grown abit towards the PC side imo, they went to firmware upgrades, online patches etc. Its nowhere near the difference in plug & play things once have been.

With Steam Big picture you don't really need a mouse and keyboard.

I am wondering if Sony is preparing to leave hardware behind them. It's got to cost a lot of money to develop new playstations each generation and a huge out lay of capital to produce them all. if they are able to make their own successful windows / linux launcher they could continue to sell large numbers of software units without all those costs
or go sega route, they also left hw to sell games on mobiles, pc etc, we know how it ended ;d nah dont belive sony will go this route, is rather obvious they want to maximze sell possibilites thats why will offer pc port after sells peak on ps5 and probably also put games on ps extra after that to improve value for this service

A lot of people will not want a PC hooked up to their television. They will not want to deal a keyboard and mouse, nor with all the Windows/Steam/game update crap that is the norm on a PC. If you do not game a lot, you'll be gaming even less with a PC unless you keep that energy-sucking monster on 24/7 and remember to check it periodically for updates and reboots so that future updates keep happening. There is the convenience of consoles, then there is a the cost aspect as well.

I agree. That is the problem Steam tried to solve with their first Steam-box initiative and failed. The Steamdeck did continue on the same ideas though, in portable format of course (for this interation so far...) and found more success. With further refinements, a these TV/gaming centric PC devices will develop the same User Experience as consoles.

Hardware innovation might suffer.

A lot of people will not want a PC hooked up to their television. They will not want to deal a keyboard and mouse, nor with all the Windows/Steam/game update crap that is the norm on a PC. If you do not game a lot, you'll be gaming even less with a PC unless you keep that energy-sucking monster on 24/7 and remember to check it periodically for updates and reboots so that future updates keep happening. There is the convenience of consoles, then there is a the cost aspect as well.

I don't disagree with the core sentiment that this is far from the death knell of consoles and that consoles do have several specific characteristics which generally appeal more to the more casual gaming market. Namely price, form factor and convenience.

I really don't see the need to blow things so out of proportion on the "difficulties of PC gaming though". Gaming on Steam is very nearly as seamless as the current console experience. It's probably more seamless than the console experience a generation or two ago. You buy games in a store, they download and they install automatically, they update automatically, steam updates itself automatically, but holy sh*t Steam just asked me to click okay to restart it after an update and I'll have to waste 5 seconds of my life waiting for it to do that, and then repeat the process in a fortnight!! Time to throw the PC away because it's way too difficult to manage.

And Windows restarts are even less frequent. Maybe once a month?

I prefer pc gaming but its practically daily crashes and glitches.

You desperately need a rebuild dude. That is absolutely not a normal PC experience. Obviously if you're heavily modding games then that opens the door to instability but that's not an Apples to Apples comparison with consoles.

You desperately need a rebuild dude. That is absolutely not a normal PC experience. Obviously if you're heavily modding games then that opens the door to instability but that's not an Apples to Apples comparison with consoles.

Or if overclocking, then dial back on the overclock or disable it. I used to OC a lot over a decade ago, but since my gaming rig is also my work rig, I can afford any instability no matter how small.

Which leads me to another thing, drivers. I rarely update drivers anymore since some GPU driver sets for the 1070 would cause system instability that would usually only show up after the system had been up for a lengthy period of time. So, if I'm on a stable driver set, I need a VERY good reason to update to a new driver set.

Regards,
SB

Consoles update the system and the games frequently too, let's not pretend it's a hassle free experience there.
They do, but consoles can be left in an über low power mode and you can set them to update the firmware and games automatically, with the reboot happening with no user intervention. It still baffles me that Steam will spot a client update, know it's there but have way to auto-install it, yet from the point of spotting the update still stop all game updates. This was definitely a bane of frustration for me when I had a PC hooked up to my TV. If you use your PC a lot, you don't notice this because it's part of your daily routine.

You cannot just neglect a PC and have it updated automatically. there are too many user-required prompts and interventions required.

I agree. That is the problem Steam tried to solve with their first Steam-box initiative and failed. The Steamdeck did continue on the same ideas though, in portable format of course (for this interation so far...) and found more success. With further refinements, a these TV/gaming centric PC devices will develop the same User Experience as consoles.

Hardware innovation might suffer.

Ryzen 9 7950X 128GB ddr 5 and a rx 6900xt running steam os 3 aka steam deck.

It's extremely close to a console like OS. I am sure with some modifications valve could release a home version. Right now valve has almost weekly updates for steam os for the index constantly adding features.

I also wonder if we will see an evolution of windows gaming mode on windows. A mode that you can just boot into that is stream lined for just gaming would be great

If I were AMD I'd be heavelly marketting APU's with their latest consumer CPU and GPU arch at co sumers wanting to build these console-like PC Steam-machines, targetting PS5/Series performance. They can easily claim console parity when they did make them both. In fact, I expected them to do precisely that last gen...

I wonder if there's contractual limitations over AMD doing any such shenanigans...

Ryzen 9 7950X 128GB ddr 5 and a rx 6900xt running steam os 3 aka steam deck.

It's extremely close to a console like OS. I am sure with some modifications valve could release a home version. Right now valve has almost weekly updates for steam os for the index constantly adding features.

I also wonder if we will see an evolution of windows gaming mode on windows. A mode that you can just boot into that is stream lined for just gaming would be great
Is there a reason they put 128GB in there?

They do, but consoles can be left in an über low power mode and you can set them to update the firmware and games automatically, with the reboot happening with no user intervention. It still baffles me that Steam will spot a client update, know it's there but have way to auto-install it, yet from the point of spotting the update still stop all game updates. This was definitely a bane of frustration for me when I had a PC hooked up to my TV. If you use your PC a lot, you don't notice this because it's part of your daily routine.

You cannot just neglect a PC and have it updated automatically. there are too many user-required prompts and interventions required.
Those low power mode are quite power hungry. Like more than 20 watts.

PC can have things automatically updated, but you do need to manually enable the options on windows update settings.

Those low power mode are quite power hungry. Like more than 20 watts.
PS5 is rated (and been tested) at consuming 1.5w in sleep mode. I don't know what 20w is but that is still going to be way lower than your average PC being on 24/7, let alone a gaming PC. And again, your PC is just going to sit there ignoring Steam updates. Why, Valve, why!?!? :runaway:

PS5 is rated (and been tested) at consuming 1.5w in sleep mode. I don't know what 20w is but that is still going to be way lower than your average PC being on 24/7, let alone a gaming PC. And again, your PC is just going to sit there ignoring Steam updates. Why, Valve, why!?!? :runaway:
my bad, turns out its xbox series thats devouring power in active standby mode.
btw since covid, steam updates has been worse and worse.

even Destiny 2, a game that basically im addicted to, need to be manually updated.

I am not sure its the death of consoles, more and more people are even more clueless about computers.
Everybody just expects plug n play deluxe, I work with some phd students and some of them are like øhh hd is that the box?

Computers, seems to me, to be very niche field of interest. Maybe a gaming habit might boost your tolerance for googling (youtube*) to do stuff, but in general it does not look like it to me.
What is it with kids and 10-15 min youtube videos which shows you which button to click vs reading a tip/walkthrough written in 15 lines..... Gahh it really really annoys me :D

I am not sure its the death of consoles, more and more people are even more clueless about computers.
Everybody just expects plug n play deluxe, I work with some phd students and some of them are like øhh hd is that the box?

Computers, seems to me, to be very niche field of interest. Maybe a gaming habit might boost your tolerance for googling (youtube*) to do stuff, but in general it does not look like it to me.
What is it with kids and 10-15 min youtube videos which shows you which button to click vs reading a tip/walkthrough written in 15 lines..... Gahh it really really annoys me :D

These people will buy pre-assembled and pre intalled steam-boxes.

Back