All Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

I don't really understand the details of it myself but as far as I gather, Epic are planning to implement a new feature in the next iteration of Unreal Engine 5 which makes the process of creating a PSO cache during development much easier for developers (automatic possibly?). This in turn makes it much simpler to pre-compile shaders in the game which will reduce or eliminate shader compilation stuttering (scs).

This is a change they've implemented seemingly in response to the recent media attention scs has been getting which as far as I can tell was started by our friend @Dictator on Digital Foundry (perhaps with some influence from particularly vocal forum members....) and picked up from there by other outlets like Linus Tech Tips.

I have no doubt that at least making the PSO gathering stage and shader compilation improvements in general part of their public announcement regarding future improvements in UE5 was spurred by the negative public pressure on the issue. Linus doing a collaborative video with DF on this no doubt got even more attention at Epic. There might have been these improvements coming all along, we can't say with 100% certainty - but I think specifically mentioning this in an update was in response to the growing feedback.

I'd really like to see something announced with respect to UE4 myself and how they are working with devs to make adding in a pre-compiling stage much easier as well, but that ship may have sailed.

Speaking of UE4 btw:

Halo’s developer is reportedly switching to Unreal Engine

I mean, after Infinite their engine's can't get worse on the PC...can they? 😨

(Speaking of which btw there is some atrocious stuttering that occurs in Halo2's Anniversary campaign on my PC that was completely fixed...by using DXVK. Fixing a Microsoft game by using a Vulkan shim, amazing)

Last edited:
I have no doubt that at least making the PSO gathering stage and shader compilation improvements in general part of their public announcement regarding future improvements in UE5 was spurred by the negative public pressure on the issue. Linus doing a collaborative video with DF on this no doubt got even more attention at Epic. There might have been these improvements coming all along, we can't say with 100% certainty - but I think specifically mentioning this in an update was in response to the growing feedback.

I'd really like to see something announced with respect to UE4 myself and how they are working with devs to make adding in a pre-compiling stage much easier as well, but that ship may have sailed.

Speaking of UE4 btw:

Halo’s developer is reportedly switching to Unreal Engine

I mean, after Infinite their engine's can't get worse on the PC...can they? 😨

(Speaking of which btw there is some atrocious stuttering that occurs in Halo2's Anniversary campaign on my PC that was completely fixed...by using DXVK. Fixing a Microsoft game by using a Vulkan shim, amazing)
I think what happened with regards to Unreal Engine is that gamers started speaking up and making noise about it, and developers probably started getting on Epic's case about fixing it and automating it.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this was always on Epic's internal roadmap... but there has to be a correlation to the increased negative sentiment regarding Unreal Engine, and this issue being focused on now.

This is interesting. The drawback to splitting releases across platforms is that you need to market and launch a game twice. I suspect those 'infamous' demographics come into play. I.e. where/when Sony traditionally market new PlayStation games isn't reaching PC gamers anyway so it's not wasted marketing. This probably says more about modern ad-marketing than anything else. But I see a lot of games advertised on London buses and tubes, as well as elsewhere in Europe. Do PC gamers not use public transport? :unsure:

edit: typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is he? That's doesn't seem to apply for remakes like UC4 and LouR.

Still a year for new titles seems pretty reasonable IMO.
don't know ;d showed on my twitter and he is falowed by dark1x, nibel and psvr2without parole so should be legit (also info available on many sites), yeah I think is that what many people predict, 1 year is when game selling is reaching it limit usualy, wont be surprised if few months after pc premiere games will land on ps extra

Sony basically stated that all future PS5 Single Player games will be coming to PC, with a delay time of at least a year, which is a far cry from the previosuly predicted 3 to 4 years. Online games will have a simultaneous release.

This is a massive massive news, Sony is following the footsteps of Microsoft, they will soon have simultaneous release for all games soon enough, just like Microsoft.

Just one year? Wow, thanks Sony :p

Sony basically stated that all future PS5 Single Player games will be coming to PC, with a delay time of at least a year, which is a far cry from the previosuly predicted 3 to 4 years. Online games will have a simultaneous release.

This is a massive massive news, Sony is following the footsteps of Microsoft, they will soon have simultaneous release for all games soon enough, just like Microsoft.

Yeah basically everything will be on PC, with a shorter time span between. Finally it happened.

don't know ;d showed on my twitter and he is falowed by dark1x, nibel and psvr2without parole so should be legit (also info available on many sites), yeah I think is that what many people predict, 1 year is when game selling is reaching it limit usualy, wont be surprised if few months after pc premiere games will land on ps extra
Who is he? That's doesn't seem to apply for remakes like UC4 and LouR.

Still a year for new titles seems pretty reasonable IMO.
Hermen Hulst is the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios. He was formerly managing director of Guerrilla Games, which he co-founded.

I like the year wait for PC ports. I never buy games when they are first released.

Plus it gives them more time to focus on just the PC and advanced graphics.

Indeed, its all for the better plus the argument that the ps5 will be fully utilized while the pc versions will see continued solid ports with enhanced/improved gfx.

Yeah, I think it's a decent compromise for now. I guess sales of recent releases show Sony there's a good market even years after the initial console release.

Of course, next step will be for MS to release the same games day-and-date on GP! 🤣

Oh, so I won't ever buy a console again. Nice.

This is the death of consoles, I guess. It will take some time, sure, but people will stop buying them...

I am not even sure if there will ever be a PS6 now. Maybe a Sony branded Steam-box at most.

Oh, so I won't ever buy a console again. Nice.

This is the death of consoles, I guess. It will take some time, sure, but people will stop buying them...

I am not even sure if there will ever be a PS6 now. Maybe a Sony branded Steam-box at most.

Nintendo has consoles too, they will stretch out a little bit longer i think.

Oh, so I won't ever buy a console again. Nice. This is the death of consoles, I guess. It will take some time, sure, but people will stop buying them... I am not even sure if there will ever be a PS6 now. Maybe a Sony branded Steam-box at most.
A lot of people will not want a PC hooked up to their television. They will not want to deal a keyboard and mouse, nor with all the Windows/Steam/game update crap that is the norm on a PC. If you do not game a lot, you'll be gaming even less with a PC unless you keep that energy-sucking monster on 24/7 and remember to check it periodically for updates and reboots so that future updates keep happening. There is the convenience of consoles, then there is a the cost aspect as well.

Reactions: JPT
A lot of people will not want a PC hooked up to their television. They will not want to deal a keyboard and mouse, nor with all the Windows/Steam/game update crap that is the norm on a PC. If you do not game a lot, you'll be gaming even less with a PC unless you keep that energy-sucking monster on 24/7 and remember to check it periodically for updates and reboots so that future updates keep happening. There is the convenience of consoles, then there is a the cost aspect as well.

Thats not at all true for every gamer though. Having the pc teamed to a TV has gotten more popular then ever before, and the notion that Windows and steam are crap is a false statement too. Its never been easier and plug & play to use a Windows (gaming) pc.
I have never had problems with updates whatsoever with Steam, Origin or Windows itself (the main ones i use). With a fast connection you dont even notice it.... Steam can also update in the background while gaming (like the xbox does/can do?) which isnt a problem really in most cases.

Gaming laptops are also on the rise, they are capable and much more energy efficient.

Back