More Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 16, 2020.

1. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yup, many new business models are predicted on taking a losses. Amazon's business plan from the outset was to turn a profit within five years because their profit model was based on volume and it took then five years to get the volume of customers to achieve that profit. It's not always possible;e to turn customers into profit if having a lot fo customers also comes with a lot of costs. Some costs scale proportionately and some scale disproportionately.

And there's nothing wrong with this, but just waving massive revenue figures around without such context is neither helpful or transparent. I'm always dubious about seeng revenue numbers without any other context.

2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Typically this is the way things are in the stock market world however. Investors are willing to invest as long as revenue is super high, showcasing potential for large long term profits later on.
    Profitability = sustainability/surviving. Something we know MS can bankroll.
    Revenue = Growth

In investors eyes, any new business expansion (like Game Pass) they want MS looking to claim as much of the market as possible. More market capture will equate to more profitability in the long run. So right now they should be focusing on growth

#702 iroboto, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  3. DSoup

DSoup X

Uhh.. which market allows trade in public stocks that doesn't also require the traded companies to publish detailed financial data that implicitly includes proftis/losses? I've never heard of one. You literally have to publish this information to be trades in almost all countries.

You won't get many investors if your finances are opaque but venture capitalists often gamble with other people's money.

4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

P&L is calculated all the time. Not all detailed P&L statements will make it all the way to the public. Most of these documents are confidential to shield them from competitors.
    P&L is still present, it's only rolled up with several services to ensure that competitors may not be able to isolate the amount of growth/expenditure they are investing towards a certain area.

I'm fairly positive this is normal business practice.

IIRC, this may fall under Roll Up accounting practices. But I'm not an accountant, so. I dunno. Our company owns several separate industries and we run them as separate companies, but we have 1 stock that represents the group. So I'm sure we are rolling up some things here to account for shortfalls in the weaker areas and so forth. I don't believe our competitors know our P&L of the individual areas. We've lost large business in the past when the companies we want to sell our product to, actually figured out they could do it themselves for instance after we pitched them. They are now our competitors in this space.

#704 iroboto, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  5. manux

Veteran Regular

Companies can lump things together in such a way that the information is not possible to find while fulfilling regulatory requirements. Try to for example figure out how many consoles MS has sold or what amount of revenue and profit sony got from 3rdparty sales versus 1stparty sales. Even things like is gamepass profitable is impossible to know for sure.

6. DSoup

DSoup X

Absolutely, Apple rarely break down sales to particular models of Mac, iPhone or iPad. but fundamentally you can read their report and know which products are selling and profitable.

All I'm saying is that revenue numbers on their own are pretty meaningless. Lots of companies have gone out of business with massive revenue numbers and lots of companies have made massive profits. There isn't any real correlation. You may as well report what colour the bathrooms are!

PSman1700, manux, chris1515 and 2 others like this.
  7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Pretty sure there is a strong correlation between profits, revenue, margin, units, debts than there are color bathrooms =P

Obviously this is more scrutiny for a smaller company to be able to take on so much debt risk in favor of growth. But a company like MS, Amazon, Google, these risks are relatively small in comparison to their profits. Smaller companies approaching this style of strategy are often expected to be purchased by larger companies.

Though, discord seemed to refuse that.

With respect to your statement however, I believe only the tech industry has gotten away with this type of thing. I don't know other industries that behave like this, or are treated this way by investors. Typically they shouldn't, and if they are treated like that, I've noticed analysts calling it out if that's correct. Beyond Foods comes to mind.

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

The floors and walls are brown; sometimes the ceilings too...

London Geezer, manux and PSman1700 like this.
  9. DSoup

DSoup X

Not much. A small company with $10,000,000 revenue and a 30% profit margin may be a better investment than a medium-sized company with $40,000,000 revenue and a 5% profit margin. There's really no correlation at all. Apple isn't the company with the most money because it sells the most products. PCs vastly outsell Macs and Android phones vastly outsell the iPhone. Yet Apple extracts far more profit from it's revenue in these businesses than the vastly greater combined revenue of their competitors in the computer and phone business. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Yeah i absolutely understand, the average joe perhaps doesnt even care about higher settings, ray tracing and all that. A PS5 is just a 400 or 500 dollar buy and your done, games arent going to look massively worse (for many DF even has to point out the differences). my sister asked what she should buy a new gaming pc or PS5, where i said get a PS5 since its primary used for gaming and she doesnt see the difference anyway between a game running a 2080ti or a ps5.

True didnt thinkoff that, that 17% is quite impressive then yes.

Karamazov likes this.
  11. chris1515

Legend Regular

[​IMG]

The next game to release is Uncharted 4. Horizon Zero Dawn profit on PC is very good and they gain new players in country where PC is bigger than console.

#711 chris1515, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  12. manux

Veteran Regular

I would be tempted to buy uncharted 4 for pc. One of my all time favorite ps4 games. If they do justice to it with the port then I think I'm in.

PSman1700 likes this.
  13. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Not so much into uncharted but guess its a nice experience for many. If done well could play/run quite nice i think this series would fit with 60fps.

Also gonna double dip forbidden west (ps5+pc down the line)

14. Inuhanyou

Veteran Regular

Cant squeeze more blood from a stone. Once they started putting games on pc its clear their strategy must be to gain a new audience on pc when playstation players have stopped buying in bulk.

Which to me questions why they would attempt days gone rather than uncharted or something that is already been out sales wise for many years. Days gone wouldent give sony many sales. Its the epitome of mediocre software, only its production values as a first party title standing out

15. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Because they have nothing to lose with Days Gone. It's a new franchise that doesn't have deep roots with the Playstation fanbase because there is just one game in the franchise. The same is true with Horizon. Look at how some Playstation fans reacted to even these new franchises coming to PC, acting as if they are being somehow slighted by the game appearing on other platforms. Now imagine how upset they would be if they started with Uncharted, a series with 4 core titles, a remastered collection, and a standalone DLC that got a physical retail release.

I also thing that in the case of Days Gone, they have faith in it finding an audience. And I mean that both in sales and finding a fanbase. Horizon I think had proven itself to be successful, but all reports indicate that Sony wasn't really happy with Days Gone's sales, so getting some extra sales from a game that runs on easily portable middleware can only be seen as a positive.

16. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

17. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Definitely the biggest IP to come over so far. Bodes well for the future I think.

PSman1700 likes this.
  18. manux

Veteran Regular

Did we miss this nugget of playstation IP's coming to mobile platforms. By the sounds of it pc releases have been worth it. And it looks like sony expects that market grow from it's small initial state.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...playstation-ip-to-mobile-this-financial-year/

19. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Wow really good news, go Sony!

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That really does sound like they plan to port as much of their PS IP as possible to mobile and PC. I would love a remake of ICO on PC. :)

Regards,
    SB

pjbliverpool, PSman1700 and manux like this.