Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

That's not the point I'm making. Microsoft are aggressively pursuing other platforms for GamePass. Sony have had the technology to do so for ~7 years, and yet we've seen its platform availability shrink rather than grow.

If they rest on their laurels, they'll be left behind, clutching an empty bag.

In terms of content, they're doing just fine. I've subscribed to PSNow here and there, and I've always found it to be worthwhile. But it should be available on my phone. At the very least, it should still be available on my PSVita.

And while Microsoft are making strides with a service that you can play anywhere you have an adequate data connection, Sony are blithely wandering around and whistling with their finger up their arse.

They've had Remote Play technology since the PS3. It's been solidly functional since the PS4. PSNow has had 7 years to get where GamePass is right now. Microsoft has had just over 1. It's inexcusable.

Just to reiterate, I'm not talking about the content on either service. I'm talking about functionality and availability.

You're welcome.

I think you're right. But the GameCube underperformed. The Wii did brilliantly, but was sorely lacking in online and OS functionality compared to the PS3/X360, as well as generally failing to capture the core gamer audience. The WiiU was a disaster and still failed to match the online and OS functionality of the PS3/X360. None of them have been hailed as great devices on which to develop.

It took them buying old, underpowered SoC's from Nvidia - along with Nvidia's development tools - in order to be a viable platform for developers. They're doing fine, but that's a precarious position. It would be like Sony being entirely reliant on AMD to provide them not only with whatever hardware they have laying around, but also with the tools to utilise it.

PSNow needs to evolve, and massively so along with many aspects of PlayStation if Sony want an increased presence on PC. But given the way that they've trotted out the ports of Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone - leaving PlayStation gamers with inferior versions - and given the recent anemic effort to trial something unusual with PS+ I'm not convinced the people in charge of strategy at PlayStation have any sort of vision.

Maybe it's time to bring back Ken Kuturagi.
I appreciate that you want to see Sony improve on PSNow, but you're totally missing what I'm asking..."why?" - from a business perspective.

GP is better, but it's losing money.

Is GP the future of gaming? That's open to debate.

Do Sony have something in the works? Maybe, pretty sure I read something fairly recently.

Don't also forget that PSNow is half the cost of GP...so not sure if Sony can match or better GP (which already loses money) for half the cost, so no doubt if they offer a PSNow+ it will be more money and then everyone will complain about the costs!

Yup. Even a 2060 is still above £500 - that’s British Pounds so that’s something like $700. For a 2060!?
I know, I can't believe I managed to snag a 2060s for my son just before Christmas @ £230! Madness...I should have bought 10 from eBay as they were around £300 at the time! lol

Last edited:
I don't see anything but positives in sony releasing games for pc. If I could I would be only a pc gamer. As it stands now I have to get playstation to get all the content I like to play.

Maybe I'm a bit too much of an idealist, but I see no issues with both Sony and Microsoft performing some game sharing between the machines.

I think it'd be cool and make some financial sense if say Sony released The Last of Us 1 on Xbox around the time The Last of Us 2 came out. Providing Microsoft offered a similar solution (Maybe Halo 5 When Halo Infinite is released).

If drives more people to be interested in those franchises and to the platforms.

Don't know where you live but here in France just for you gpu+cpu it'll cost double the price of the ps5, then add the motherboard, and ssd...ps5/xsx are very competitive price wise this time.

Im in EU aswell (sweden) and yes thats absolutely true, PC gaming is more expensive like it always has been. You'd pay more then twice the money for the same performance as PS5 most likely.
I wasnt ever debating the price/performance ratio as thats usually much better for the consoles around launch time.

I have to add though, it all depends on what kind of preferences one has. My ps5 is only being used for gaming, nothing more, whilest my 2080ti pc is being used for basically everything else aside of gaming aswell. The pc usually is getting the best versions of multiplat games aswell (graphically), in special considering ray tracing and higher settings, resolutions and framerates.
Might totally not be worth it for someone else but, for me it is.

I still 'need' the PS5 though, otherwise i'd miss out on demon souls, forbidden west (dont want to wait years to play it), the new GoW, rift apart, GT and many other titles that might come late or never to the PC. Dual sense might also be a factor if well implemented. Portability has taken a hit with the PS5's size, but it still smaller and lighter then my main gaming pc.
I probably wouldnt see a need for a PS anymore if all the exclusives made it to pc.

Also, its (almost) impossible to get a PS5 right now for the ones that never got one before, same for the GPUs. Both PS5 and GPUs are way overpriced if you are able to get one from either scalpers or second hand etc. Another thing, i can upgrade parts (like the GPU or ssd) down the line if needed, instead of getting a new system in case of a mid gen refresh.

Anyway, price to performance ratio wasnt something ive been claiming to be an advantage to the pc or anything close to that. That will happen in some years whenever say a RTX4050 is going to offer better performance at low(er) prices (same for other components).

yes it's all a question of priorities / budget
i'm 41 and only game maybe 5 hours a week now, back in time when i was 15-20 i would play maybe 4 hours a day, PC might have been a better choice then :LOL:, though in that period i was litterally buying every console ! Even had a PC with a Geforce ! (5200 IIRC) I only stopped at the 360 release.
Now my PC is only used for internet, mails etc... a netbook is more than enough.
Consoles are still easier to use even today.

other spendings now too, other priorities ! (next month 4 new tires --> 600+€ !)

But for best versions of games, if budget is not a problem, PC have always been the best place since the coming of 3d cards.

Kinda unexpected (from me) how little Sony makes on their first party exclusives. But then, thats we on hype forums only see the big hitters like HZD, GoW etc.
If you think about it, it's pretty impressive. 17% of all software sales are first party, but that's actually a lot. Think about the release schedules of most high sales games on Playstation. COD, Madden, Fifa, stuff like that is usually in the top of the lists every year. Those are yearly releases. Skim though a list of 1st party published games and check the recent PS4 years and you will see that there are like 6-10 first party releases (excluding digital only and VR games that would be represented in those categories in the charts we are discussing), and plenty of them are smaller releases like Dreams or the Wipeout collection. Great games, just not titles that are ever going to set the world on fire, sales wise. 2019 was a pretty lackluster year I would say as well. Only 6 releases with the big hits being Death Stranding and Days Gone.

The point is, if you are only releasing 2-3 big games a year, and you are competing every year with Madden, COD, and Fifa, that also come out every year, and non-stop sales juggernauts like GTAV (has it ever been out of the top 10?), I think anything in the 20% range is very respectable.

Not every sale is equal. Sony gets a lot more money from their 1st party games. Another thing is majority of money is made from initial expensive sales. The total sales number can be inflated as it could contain all the cheap discount sales as well. Looking at money made from 1st party games versus other games would be good metric to use.

Not every sale is equal. Sony gets a lot more money from their 1st party games. Another thing is majority of money is made from initial expensive sales. The total sales number can be inflated as it could contain all the cheap discount sales as well. Looking at money made from 1st party games versus other games would be good metric to use.

Yes, they get more revenue from first party games but less profit when you factor in costs up until a certain point. Obviously taking the 30% of others' work is more profitable. So shouldn't this be looking at profit instead of revenue?

Yes, they get more revenue from first party games but less profit when you factor in costs up until a certain point. Obviously taking the 30% of others' work is more profitable. So shouldn't this be looking at profit instead of revenue?

Profit would definitely be best.

I think miles morales sold something like 4.1million copies in first month or so. These are full price sales. One would have to sell awfully many 10$ discount games with 30% cut to reach similar profit. If only we knew revenue and profit instead of only how many sales transactions were done.

Profit would definitely be best.

Though since this is the games industry, we will be hard pressed to find actual accounting statements from any company breaking out what we'd need for a meaningful discussion. Everything has to be so secretive and protected so as to not tip their hat or let their industrial secrets out.

Always. Revenue is very little use without knowing the margins. If I setup a business selling Ferraris for £30k per car I'll have massive revenues but I'll be losing £50k for each car sold. Whenever you see revenue without profit/loss, be suspicious. It is a financial slight-of-hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think miles morales sold something like 4.1million copies in first month or so. These are full price sales. One would have to sell awfully many 10$ discount games with 30% cut to reach similar profit. If only we new revenue and profit instead of only how many sales transactions were done.

Or just have Fortnite's microtransactions. Apple made MORE THAN $100 million off Fortnite in 2 years and I don't believe they're the top platform. That's more than $4.16 Million a month with no effort required by them [Apple]. They listed Epic earned $700 Million, where if that's after the cut done by Apple then if it's a straight 30% then that's $300 Million to Apple. First Google Source: https://news.yahoo.com/apple-made-more-100-million-185252231.html

Or just have Fortnite's microtransactions. Apple made MORE THAN $100 million off Fortnite in 2 years and I don't believe they're the top platform. That's more than $4.16 Million a month with no effort required by them [Apple]. They listed Epic earned $700 Million, where if that's after the cut done by Apple then if it's a straight 30% then that's $300 Million to Apple. First Google Source: https://news.yahoo.com/apple-made-more-100-million-185252231.html

Makes a lot of sense to try to do micro transactions or "free to play". Though best market for these types of games is cross platform to gain as big audience as possible. Preferably also mobile in the mix.

One additional pattern I see is a lot of pay to play dlc. One can buy the base game cheaply from sale. Add dlc's and the price is near new game price and playing without dlc isn't compelling. Developers are good at trying to find ways to upsell instead of discount sell. Though I keep hearing most money is made from initial expensive sales and plain discount sales don't help developers that much. Some series playing the dlc upsell pattern are civ vi, crusader kings series etc. I think this is more prevalent in pc-world where gamers have learnt to wait for sale to minimize expense.

Always. Revenue is very little use without knowing the margins. If I setup a business selling Ferraris for £30k per car I'll have massive revenues but I'll be losing $50 for each car sold. Whenever you see revenue without profit/loss, be suspicious. It is a financial slight-of-hand.

I've worked for a few companies where they took a couple of years to realize revenues / incoming customers isn't a gauge of how well the company is doing. Fortunately the last one realized this and turned things around, no longer engaging in nonprofitable business. The first year the revenue dipped but the profits climbed. Now many years later it's substantially better off and profitable for all the business brought in.

The worst and easiest way to unknowingly perpetrate this is when a company has sales teams that are driven by bonuses for revenue brought in. Naturally they'd promise the world to get customers in and have contracts signed that were pure money sinks. So much custom work had to be done. It always is depressing to see this happen.

To tie back a bit more to the topic... In the games industry I wonder how games are evaluated when you're releasing on next-gen only and your consumer base is a mere fraction of what the base is on last-gen market. It's part of the have to spend money to make money, but how is it valued by the financial folks inside the company? Is 1 next-gen game sale valued at 3 last-gen game sales? What is that trade off valued at?

To tie back a bit more to the topic... In the games industry I wonder how games are evaluated when you're releasing on next-gen only and your consumer base is a mere fraction of what the base is on last-gen market. It's part of the have to spend money to make money, but how is it valued by the financial folks inside the company? Is 1 next-gen game sale valued at 3 last-gen game sales? What is that trade off valued at?

Very good question. I hope someone has insight to share about this.

oS85HnQ.png

DLC and MTX are bigger than digital software sales + Physical software sales at least in revenue.

Back