More NVIDIA/Sony dirt

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/05/30&pages=PR&seq=205

As Nvidia sees more opportunities in the multimedia sector, its key foundry partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) may benefit from more outsourced orders, according to a report by Alex Gauna, US semiconductor analyst at UBS Warburg.

The introduction of Sony’s PSX, a follow-up to the hugely popular PlayStation 2 (PS2), will likely lead to increased orders for graphics chips from Nvidia, the report said.
IBM, which is scheduled to deliver within the next two months its first tranche of Nvidia orders, estimated at about 3,000 wafers, is unlikely to steal much business away from TSMC, he predicts.

“While Nvidia has engaged IBM for foundry outsourcing, we think IBM still needs to prove itself in commercial volume production at the advanced technology node,â€￾ Gauna wrote. “Under our worst-case scenario, we estimate the order to be split between IBM and TSMC to be 20/80 on a longer-term basis.â€￾

Meanwhile, Nvidia, which derives approximately 15-20% of its revenues from Xbox generated solutions, is well positioned to capitalize on the emerging multimedia opportunities, thanks to its heavy investment in next-generation foundry device production, the report said.

Nonetheless, Nvidia will leverage IBM to negotiate price with TSMC, given the chip designer’s cost-cutting focus, the report said. In technology, Nvidia currently has no plans to design in 90nm as it remains far from volume ramp and it still remains focused on 130nm, it said.

Eh?

There's a chance this analyst is just frickin' retarded, but there's also a chance that he knows something we don't. Moreover, 'PSX' could have been a typo for 'PS3'.

More as it comes..

If I read it right it is suggesting TSMC will be getting increased orders from Nvidia because IBM will be tied up producing more PSX chips?

Seems to just be speculation by an analyst about the possibility of competing products to the upcoming Sony products:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={F93BD6E2-B20C-49DF-8F8E-5B65BB29A63B}

Frankly it doesn't sound like he knows any more than everybody else...

"Although in the short-term PlayStation Portable and PSX sales could adversely impact Nvidia Xbox exposure, we believe this risk is exceeded by the longer-term upside potential in these new product categories," Gauna wrote in a research note.

He acknowledged there's no direct evidence that Microsoft or other vendors will launch competitive products to the two Sony items, but Gauna believes the technology dynamics in the market "will make it increasingly appealing to systems providers to do so."

Yes, the analyst is guessing that with the new PSX coming around it may mean that Microsoft will put out a competing product which would mean more sales for Nvidia.

In the first original quote, it didn't seem clear unless you thoroughly read the whole thing.

Nvidia's stock has jumped close to $4 in the last 3 days, and USB puts it at $40.

Folks who got in when it was at $10 or so are gonna get some nice returns.

Speng.

well I'm guessing one of the video card companies could be involved in the PSP which I think the could be a big win.

Considering how sony is saying it will be more powerful than PS2 in some cases. Make me wonder what companies out there are capable of making something like that in a portable chip.

I doubt it'll be nvidia. Low power usage isn't something we have seen in nvidias lineup so far. The GeForce Go-chips consume more power than ATi's Mobility Radeons and they never did a handheld chip before. Things might(!) change though if they decide to dig out that Gigapixel tech...

nVIDIA would have the know-how on features and design for a good GPU, SCE has the 90 nm SOI process to manufacture it well ( and the 65 nm shrink would not be too far ahead )...

When 3dfx got Giga Pixel I remember them talking about putting Giga Pixel technology into portable devices. If Nvidia is helping with a chip in the PSP it will probably be Giga Pixel stuff.

Brimstone said:
When 3dfx got Giga Pixel I remember them talking about putting Giga Pixel technology into portable devices. If Nvidia is helping with a chip in the PSP it will probably be Giga Pixel stuff.

No, It would most definatly not be.

I doubt that the Gigapixel tech would still be competitive today. It's been 3 years since 3dfx bought Gigapixel and as far as we know nvidia didn't develop the technology further when they bought up 3dfx.

Back