More info about RSX from NVIDIA

kinda off topic, but how do you guys think the ps3 (and rsx) will handle anti-aliasing. Will it take big performance hits when enabeling AA like current nvidia GPU's? And i know that at 1080p there is no need for AA, but not everyone will have 1080p tv's. i know i won't. So does sony have a solution in mind for AA on ps3?

markvaid said:
kinda off topic, but how do you guys think the ps3 (and rsx) will handle anti-aliasing. Will it take big performance hits when enabeling AA like current nvidia GPU's? And i know that at 1080p there is no need for AA, but not everyone will have 1080p tv's. i know i won't. So does sony have a solution in mind for AA on ps3?

At 720p I imagine it shouldn't be difficult for it to have 2-4x AA.

If it renders internally at 1080p then it could just shrink it to 720p and be just as well off. Either way it doesn't seem like a huge issue -- at 720p it should be able to pull it off with little penalty (hell, current generation video cards can do 1024x768/720p at 4x AA without any visible penalty) and at 1080p it arguably doesn't really need AA.

Maybe I'm mistaken though.

yes it's true that current generation GPUs can do 1024x768 with 2-4 AA. My current comp is a amd 64 3500 winchester,1 gig of 400ddr, and bfg 6600 GT and i can run doom 3 at 1024x768 with 4xAA, on ultra quality without any performance loss at all. But i think that next gen games will be even more performance demanding and i'm just curious on how the ps3 will do AA next gen. For X360 the 10mb EDram is a great solution. Wonder about ps3...

Oh Jeezus, here we go again! :rolleyes: When your hdtv downscales 1080 from your PS3 to show 720 on your screen, BAM, there's your AA. It'll be a moot point whether the GPU supports AA or not.

randycat99 said:
Oh Jeezus, here we go again! :rolleyes: When your hdtv downscales 1080 from your PS3 to show 720 on your screen, BAM, there's your AA. It'll be a moot point whether the GPU supports AA or not.

yes but how many games can/will actually be designed as 1080p natively?

that's my :?:

Tap In said:
I hope none for my own selfish reasons. 8) Only big displays get 1080p and they are expensive. And I hope development won't move to 1080p even when PS4 comes around. A HD display is an expensive piece of item to upgrade.

randycat99 said:

uh, even if all games were output at 1080p, most HDTVs won't accept it. Even if you meant 1080i, most HDTVs can't even natively display 720p, they scale it to 1080i so I'm not sure why you suggest they'd scale everything down to 720p.

passby said:
Tap In said:
I hope none for my own selfish reasons. 8) Only big displays get 1080p and they are expensive. And I hope development won't move to 1080p even when PS4 comes around. A HD display is an expensive piece of item to upgrade.

Actually, even for your own selfish reasons, it would be better if they rendered everything at 1080p as that would give you free AA when scaling down to 720p.
I'm not sure if there's a performance difference between rendering at 1080p and 720p+AA. If there isn't, then you might aws well keep everything at 1080p so you're compatible with the newest displays AND get AA on 720p displays.

Actually, even for your own selfish reasons, it would be better if they rendered everything at 1080p as that would give you free AA when scaling down to 720p.
I'm not sure if there's a performance difference between rendering at 1080p and 720p+AA. If there isn't, then you might aws well keep everything at 1080p so you're compatible with the newest displays AND get AA on 720p displays.

The question then is simple . Is the ps3 powerfull enough to out put at 1080p with hdr and produce the same lvl of graphics that the xbox can put out at 720 p ?

Yes, downsampling = supersampling. This gives AA of textures as well as edges - total image AA. It's just a very costly process and generally too much for normal use, so multisampling is used instead.

Ideally everything would be rendered at at least 4x the resolution (16x the area) and downsampled :D

No, not really....ordered grid supersampling (which is what downsampling gives you) is far from the highest-quality AA you can have.

Well as i understood it supersampling renders at twice the res and then down samples it so

640x480 2x ssa would be 1280x960 ? 800x600 would be 1600x1200 .

so 720p would be 1280x720 with 2x supersampling it would have to render at 2560x1440 vs 1920 x 1080 . Which is greater than 1080p. So it wouldn't exactly be 2x supersampling . It be less . Would that create a better image than 720p 4x alpha to mask rgms gamma corrected fsaa ?

Unless i'm wrong with how supersampling works. Its been awhile .

Might create a comparable quality depending on downscale algorithm. 4x 720p is 4 samples per pixel. 2x SS is also 4 samples per pixel, though as you say 1080p downscaled isn't 2x. 1.5x SS. I'd think 720 4x MSAA would look better, as the image will be cripser/better definition than a non-integer downscaling.

jvd said:
Well as i understood it supersampling renders at twice the res and then down samples it so
That's the essence of ordered grid supersampling. There are other possibilities, such as what 3dfx did with the Voodoo5.

Chalnoth said:
jvd said:
That's the essence of ordered grid supersampling. There are other possibilities, such as what 3dfx did with the Voodoo5.
can u explain briefly please ?

jvd said:
Chalnoth said:
jvd said:

They rendered a frame for each sample. So for 4xAA they rendered 4 frames to get four different samples. Think of it as a kind of "accumulation" buffer.

_xxx_ said:
jvd said:
Chalnoth said:
jvd said:

They rendered a frame for each sample. So for 4xAA they rendered 4 frames to get four different samples. Think of it as a kind of "accumulation" buffer.
cool thanks . Sounds a little ati's temporal fsaa

Back