More info about RSX from NVIDIA

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran
First G70 review is out, I found this nice recap:

http://www.hardspell.com/hard/showcont.asp?news_id=14372&pageid=3105

I speculated pixel shader floating ops per clock cycle on RSX would be the same number of floating point ops Xenos ALUs can do, it seems this is true.
(I'm speaking about programmable flops)

Google translation from chinese to english:
Sony's PS3 main engine used based on G70 the overhead construction design RSX graph core, ncVidia official first time produces G70 and the RSX detail requirements contrast, simultaneously also provided the R500 graph core reference data which Xbox used.

2005-6-21-16-10-14-654986702.gif

~400Gflops/s :oops: :? , is this real :?:

How many of them programable :?:

pc999 said:
2005-6-21-16-10-14-654986702.gif

~400Gflops/s :oops: :? , is this real :?:

How many of them programable :?:

I guess those are the programmable ones, since the total for RSX is allegedly 1.8Tflop and the total for Xenos is almost 1Tflop.

The 400Gflops/240Gflops might be the programmable part.

I still smell fish though.

The funny part is, according to the site, that diagram *including* R500 details is provided by Nvidia.

Lots of Chinese terms I don't know how to translate to the English equivalent, so I guess we'll just wait for the english sites' coverage.

I was wrong..RSX pixel shading flops per clock is even more than what I was expecting.
They're quoting 27 flops per pixel pipelines, I would like to know how they're counting nrm flops.

400Gflops/s , is this real

I not the most technical person in the world so I'm asking, shouldn't it have a higher programmable flops per second due to the higher MHz? %550 compared to 500? :?

mckmas8808 said:
400Gflops/s , is this real

I not the most technical person in the world so I'm asking, shouldn't it have a higher programmable flops per second due to the higher MHz? %550 compared to 500? :?

Yeah but a 100% increase in Flops with a 10% increase in clockspeed???

:?: To understand performance then, do you sum all pixel and shader performance? For example can the RSX do 5 vertex and 10 Pixel operations per ALU simultaneously giving it 15 ops/ALU whereas the xenos only does five?

Please help me understand the graphics pipeline process.

How many of them programable
All of them.

Anyway, I am starting to get worried that we'll really get a bunch of useless video crap transistors still in RSX(given the similarities in transistor counts for G70)...
replace it with sound or something if you can't think of a way to use it dammit. :?

This is nVidia info, right? So these RSX specs are direct from nVidia? So we can probably discount their R500 (XB360) numbers, not least becuase there is no R500 in XB360!

Certainly here RSX is little more than G70, but what's the tranny count for G70? How much more silicon if any is going into RSX that we have to account for extra functionality (if any)?

Something new -
TSAA Transparent S(?) Anti Aliasing
TMAA Transparent Multi(?) Anti Aliasing.

I believe the r500 is capable of this too , I don't know if the r520 is .

Well, if they really want to do 1080p, with the same qualitity per pixer (instructions per shader), they would need almost 2X more power right :?:

Back