More DRM Discussions *spinoff*

I know there is an alternatives fact joke in here somewhere.. I just can't seem to find it

Alternative facts are what Nintendo executives use to make all of their decisions. MS and Sony have tried it a couple of times, too, but it hasn't worked out so well for them.

Sony updates the PS4 firmware to check with the backup service if there is no connectivity to the PSN servers. If this is just a temporary loss of connectivity, the backup service doesn't respond. If PSN is offline permanently, the backup service responds and uploads a new firmware to the PS4 enabling the local content backup and updated authentication process.

Presumably new firmware is something that Sony (and every other device manufacturer) will need to develop in parallel with the regular firmware and keep updated on the repository? That sounds like it could be quite a bit of work. It would also need Sony (and every other ecosystem operator) to share your account and login details with the repository for authentication purpose. Every publisher of digital content now has an additional repository to update and maintain, because updates and patches also need to be made available. And the repository presumably also needs to provide a seamless replacement in terms of operation, to potentially hundreds of different ecosystems.

Hmmm.

Btw currently on PS4, updates / downloads and license and psn are in separate "links" You can download even when psn is down as long as you already started it beforehand.

That's probably the CDN, which will stop hosting once their client stops paying for their service.

sony could just release patches to stop server checks.

They probably can't just do this, they will have obligations to the publishers to provide a system with safeguards. And even if they did, if your HDD dies, even without a server check how do you download your game again?

They probably can't just do this, they will have obligations to the publishers to provide a system with safeguards. And even if they did, if your HDD dies, even without a server check how do you download your game again?

what do you do if your copy of the legend of Zelda dies ? What happens when all the carts no longer work ? More and more are going to fail with time. Nothing lasts forever

what do you do if your copy of the legend of Zelda dies ? What happens when all the carts no longer work ? More and more are going to fail with time. Nothing lasts forever
Nobody is claiming physical media lasts forever. But physical media won't just vanish.

Seriously ? You just seriously typed that first sentence and then claimed the opposite in your second and final sentence ?

Yes. :???: Something breaking isn't the same as something just vanishing. A physical object being damaged and ceasing to work is quite different from something you have today just vanishing tomorrow.

Yes. :???: Something breaking isn't the same as something just vanishing. A physical object being damaged and ceasing to work is quite different from something you have today just vanishing tomorrow.

I'm sorry in which way does a cart or disc rotting and no longer working differ from a hardrive that stops working ? The data on both just vanish.

if your talking about roms well backups to the discs and donwloads already exist on torrent sites. If you lament the fact that modern consoles are not yet emulated on pc . Well you have to give that time , it took along time for nes and super nes and n64 to get emulated too

I'm sorry in which way does a cart or disc rotting and no longer working differ from a hardrive that stops working ? The data on both just vanish.

Because for hundreds of years people are accustomed to physical things breaking. It a an imminently understandable concept.

if your talking about roms well backups to the discs and donwloads already exist on torrent sites. If you lament the fact that modern consoles are not yet emulated on pc . Well you have to give that time , it took along time for nes and super nes and n64 to get emulated too
If your HDD fails you can buy a new HDD and re-install from disc. If the service is gone you've lost all your games. If the HDD doesn't die and your service dies, you game licences will expire then won't run at all. Your disc games will continue to run - at least on a PlayStation.

Because for hundreds of years people are accustomed to physical things breaking. It a an imminently understandable concept.
well yes I understand the concept which is why I understand that a hardrive is a physical thing and is just the medium in which the game data is store like an optical disc or rom cart. All will fail at some point

If your HDD fails you can buy a new HDD and re-install from disc. If the service is gone you've lost all your games. If the HDD doesn't die and your service dies, you game licences will expire then won't run at all. Your disc games will continue to run - at least on a PlayStation.

And if the discs are gone from disc rot ? Scratches ?

well yes I understand the concept which is why I understand that a hardrive is a physical thing and is just the medium in which the game data is store like an optical disc or rom cart. All will fail at some point

I am glad you understand.

And if the discs are gone from disc rot ? Scratches ?

But this sentence does seem to suggest that you don't understand.

I'm trying to figure out why the content tied to one physical item is better than another physical item and you haven't explained it .
Who said one is better? Read the last page again. The pros and cons are pretty clear, both approaches to buying content have advantages and both have disadvantages.

Presumably new firmware is something that Sony (and every other device manufacturer) will need to develop in parallel with the regular firmware and keep updated on the repository? That sounds like it could be quite a bit of work. It would also need Sony (and every other ecosystem operator) to share your account and login details with the repository for authentication purpose. Every publisher of digital content now has an additional repository to update and maintain, because updates and patches also need to be made available. And the repository presumably also needs to provide a seamless replacement in terms of operation, to potentially hundreds of different ecosystems.

Hmmm.

Nothing you said here contradicts my assertion that a minimal amount of development and some non-prohibitive amount of money invested gets them there. None of these are unsolvable problems in general and especially not so for people of the caliber of those who work on these systems at this level. I also disagree that this would be "quite a bit of work" after the initial implementation to maintain because I don't expect that the parts of the code that deal with content access and rights management see frequent changes across different firmwares.

And as for the content itself, it would be a mirror of their content archive. It really doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Nothing is an unsolvable problem but I take issue with "minimal amount of effort" reconciling with every part of the digital distribution chain having to change, along with every product!

That is so monumentally detached from reality I don't know where to begin but lack of time saves me from responding further to this. I wish you well with your venture/delusion.

Nothing is an unsolvable problem but I take issue with "minimal amount of effort" reconciling with every part of the digital distribution chain having to change, along with every product!

That is so monumentally detached from reality I don't know where to begin but lack of time saves me from responding further to this. I wish you well with your venture/delusion.

Minimal effort for each party, not minimal effort collectively. But given the closed-mindedness you've demonstrated during this whole discussion I see that this was indeed an appalling waste of time. Not once did you approach this from the standpoint of, "If this were to happen, what are the problems that would have to be solved and how could they be solved." You stuck on "This can't happen." and then proceeded to bring up a series of "problems" without even trying to consider if those problems had potential solutions. And then when this wasn't effective in confirming your preconception you didn't even have the grace to end the discussion with an agree to disagree. You instead chose to end it with an insult. So, yeah, we're done here.

The difference is that a hard copy that works will still exist somewhere, and the fact that if one copy dies it doesn't affect your whole collection, whereas having the whole collection under a single service that may fail permanently, risks losing all and along with it any future access.

No matter how many policies are forced etc to protect the product for the consumer thats an additional uncertainty.

This is one of the things that game collectors value a lot. For example I have a friend of mine who has an expensive selection of rare Saturn games worth thousands and he declined an offer to sell his games for a large amount. These (and any old game) will exist forever in someone's library somewhere and collectors or retro gamers can still revisit either their own old collection or purchase these old games from someone else and play them for the first time. I doubt such a valuable collection (which also has historical, sentimental and even cultural value) of games would have existed in my friend's library if an absolute digital age existed during the Saturn era.

For me the best solution and the best guarantee will always be a co-existence of physical and digital.

edit: Other examples where we lost future access to certain games include Konami's XMEN and I think also Simpsons which used to be in digital stores, but due to some IP ownership by companies like Disney they were retracted. So when I wanted to buy XMEN for my PS3 it was no longer available. Its like it never existed. It exists only in accounts that bought it before it was removed, and there is no way to buy it from them.
Also games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a collector's item for the Wii for a similar reason. The product was removed from shelves but the product still exists, can be purchased from other owners and is gaining value (not just monetary).

Last edited:
Minimal effort for each party, not minimal effort collectively. But given the closed-mindedness you've demonstrated during this whole discussion I see that this was indeed an appalling waste of time. Not once did you approach this from the standpoint of, "If this were to happen, what are the problems that would have to be solved and how could they be solved."

Maintaining perpetutal support and dual firmware builds is not anything like a 'minimal effort' when every device manufacturer and ecosystem manufacturer has to do it. Perpetually. Because collapse could strike any time. I've done a lot, and I many years and years, on client/server (device/server) work and it's never minimal effort when you have to support just one secure, robust implementation let alone a readily available shadow option for something else. It is literally two different builds both of which need to be tested every time a change is made on ether side. This is time consuming and expensive. Even huge companies like Nintendo can barely cope with one decent online system, now they need a second?

You stuck on "This can't happen." and then proceeded to bring up a series of "problems" without even trying to consider if those problems had potential solutions.

Literally my last post started with the words "Nothing is an unsolvable problem". Technically. I don't know who you are quoting with 'This can't happen' because I've never used those words. But your minimal effort is anything but minimal effort, its metric fuck ton of running costs and client/server code testing forever. Technical and massive cost hurdle aside, where I started out is that this simply won't appeal to digital content providers from a commercial standpoint because fundamentally it requires competitors to set aside their competitive nature while continuing to operate in what is a very competitive market. This is a high effort, high cost solution to something that does not benefit the people paying the bill.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to figure out why the content tied to one physical item is better than another physical item and you haven't explained it . Most likely because its just a bias you have and don't have a real reason
If you want, you can seal a disk/cartridge in an inert atmosphere in a lead lined box in a temperature controlled vault and have it work perfectly every time you take it out once every twenty years. Wear and tear is controllable and your responsibility. If you use something until it's worn out, you just accept that as a fact of life. If someone were to come along and take it from you even when it still worked, the response would be very different. Although what we're talking about here is more like a product line discontinuation.

Maintaining perpetutal support and dual firmware builds is not anything like a 'minimal effort' when every device manufacturer and ecosystem manufacturer has to do it. Perpetually. Because collapse could strike any time. I've done a lot, and I many years and years, on client/server (device/server) work and it's never minimal effort when you have to support just one secure, robust implementation let alone a readily available shadow option for something else. It is literally two different builds both of which need to be tested every time a change is made on ether side. This is time consuming and expensive. Even huge companies like Nintendo can barely cope with one decent online system, now they need a second?

Literally my last post started with the words "Nothing is an unsolvable problem". Technically. I don't know who you are quoting with 'This can't happen' because I've never used those words. But your minimal effort is anything but minimal effort, its metric fuck ton of running costs and client/server code testing forever. Technical and massive cost hurdle aside, where I started out is that this simply won't appeal to digital content providers from a commercial standpoint because fundamentally it requires competitors to set aside their competitive nature while continuing to operate in what is a very competitive market. This is a high effort, high cost solution to something that does not benefit the people paying the bill.

I don't want to engage with you anymore and since no one else seems interested in discussing the subject I don't see any value in responding.

It's worth saying that physical media is not immune to licence revocation, I can think of at least 1 Xbox 360 disk ID which is revoked now unusable assuming you updated your dashboard , if you did not then it's playable but many newer titles are not. It's a special case but proves the ability exists and was planned from the outset.

I cannot follow the discussion above but physical may not mean indefinite unless you isolate both the system and media.

Back