Monkey Island 5

slunked2zero said:
Anybody know any info about the next installment of the legendary monkey island series?
I just wish LEC would give the series back to its rightful owner, Ron Gilbert.
For me, anything after MI2 isn’t Monkey Island.

yes, that is true, a lot of people do feel like that but to be hoenst i love anything monkey island. There was some rumors going on over at scummbar.com with PCGAMER apparently reporting they had heard it was in development. I was just wondering if any of you guys and gals had heard anything.

I've only heard that it exists. And apparently has the potential to be very good. Don't ask me where i read this cause i can't remember.

How come nobody talked about this game already? I've waited for 9 long years for a sequel, and I'm too big of a Monkey fan to pass this up (for all I care, the pundits can give this game 30 out of 100, and I would still get it). I just hope that Teltale would do a good job in creating the sequel. It's just too bad that Gilbert won't be involved in the making of the game's story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Monkey_Island

I think you are confusing two things there, the remake of Monkey Island 1 is coming to xbox and PC, it's being done by Lucasarts themselves and has nothing to do with Monkey Island 5.

Well, Grossman of Telltale Games stated that Tales of Monkey Island will NOT be considered Monkey Island 5. But yeah, another Monkey Island game is coming up this summer, and that will be the remake of the original game, and will be out for PC and Xbox 360. To be honest though, I'm more excited about the remake than the sequel itself, but I'll get both all the same...

Tales of Monkey Island is announced for Wii, so that makes it console relevant I guess. Telltale also has their Wallace and Gromit series on Live Arcade, so I wouldn't rule out Tales coming there pending agreement with MS. [strike]This thread should definitely be in 'games' rather than 'tech', though.[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sort of wondering if Telltale can deliver the proper amount of funny. Sam and Max sorta teetered on the edge of funny and cute.

How come nobody talked about this game already? I've waited for 9 long years for a sequel, and I'm too big of a Monkey fan to pass this up (for all I care, the pundits can give this game 30 out of 100, and I would still get it). I just hope that Teltale would do a good job in creating the sequel. It's just too bad that Gilbert won't be involved in the making of the game's story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Monkey_Island

Same here. I don't care what the reviews say, I'm buying it. This is probably my favorite point/click adventure series of all time, with Space Quest a very close second. It is a bit sad that Gilbert isn't involved, so the feeling/vibe of the game will probably be changed, but I think the series is in good hands with TellTale.

Nice to see MI making a resurgence. It improved every game up to 3. MI3 was superb, like playing a cartoon. It's one of those few media experiences I wish i could forget completely to enjoy again. However, MI4 was pretty rubbish by comparison. 3D for 3D's sake, and lacking the cutting humour. It felt like someone writing to try and reproduce someone else's success.

I have reservations about a 5th. If they find the old glory, it'll be worth it. If it's a weak cash-in, it'll be a tragedy. And sadly most IPs reanimated this long after their last appearance end up as something of undead zombies of their former selves.

Yeah, the fourth really was a step back. The 3D graphics were definitely a downgrade versus the beautifully crafted (hand painted?) 2D graphics. Perhaps a cell-shaded approach could do the 3rd more justice now. I never managed to finish any of these games though.

MI2 and 3 were hand painted and scanned in. Interestingly the same 32 colour backdrops were used in the 32 colour Amiga and 256 colour PC versions of MI2, with the added PC colour palette range used only for darkening Guybrush in and out in shadows.

Edit : Coming from the motion controler talk, these games could actually be a great fit! The player could say the insults, wield a sword, feed the monkey a banana and use it as a wrench. Would create a fabulous intreactive story, as fun to watch and to play.

Back