Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be more to it. New rumors say Microsoft is buying Avalanche Studios Group. They have 3 internal studios: Avalanche Studio, Expansive Worlds & Systemic Reaction. Basically, they get Just Cause, theHunter, Contraband & Second Extinction. Not as exciting at Bethesda, but a decent buy. Second Extinction is pretty decent for Game Pass, But I definitely want to see more of Contraband.

Tommy McClain
Generation Zero also. That game is a game that would work perfectly for gamepass. It's had a life sort of like Dying Light. The updates aren't patches just to squash bugs, but there are huge content updates. It's a completely different game now than when it launched. Second Extinction is walking down the same road.

And since I brought it up, I'm going to gush about something Generation Zero has done that I love. They basically ran an ARG using their discord and social media accounts where they have these messages left by in universe characters. So you read some notes, or listen to some audio logs or look at pictures or whatever, and they sort of lead you to explore an area of the map. And then you fins some weird stuff on the map, like a hut with a bunch of radio and satellite antennas and strange messages. And then the next update comes, and there's a big update to that area of the map and a new chain of missions that involve the stuff you found during the ARG. If you are going to have a game be a live service type game, this is it.

Might be more to it. New rumors say Microsoft is buying Avalanche Studios Group. They have 3 internal studios: Avalanche Studio, Expansive Worlds & Systemic Reaction. Basically, they get Just Cause, theHunter, Contraband & Second Extinction. Not as exciting at Bethesda, but a decent buy. Second Extinction is pretty decent for Game Pass, But I definitely want to see more of Contraband.

Tommy McClain
Do they get Just Cause though? Or does Square Enix own that?

Do they get Just Cause though? Or does Square Enix own that?

Yeah, it looks like Square Enix owns that series after they bought Eidos, the original publisher of the first Just Cause. So MS won't get that series. Maybe they could do Rage 3 now that MS owns Bethesda?

Tommy McClain

Yeah, it looks like Square Enix owns that series after they bought Eidos, the original publisher of the first Just Cause. So MS won't get that series. Maybe they could do Rage 3 now that MS owns Bethesda?

Tommy McClain
Most likely Rage 3 and another series that they either get to choose or an IP MS has that no one is working on.

Well something big might be happening. ETA on that is the first half of their fiscal year and it could be upwards of 20.

There are 2-3 others in the works but they are all sub 10 with one being around 1
I do wonder where Bethesda is between 1 and 20 though.

Personally I think they should purchase Asobo. Those guys are too good. And incredibly versatile.

Last edited:
The problem is that if Asobo leaves I wonder who could replace them. Would be a huge loss. Even bigger than Double Helix (arguably).

I see, then I have no idea.

Considering that MS has entrusted Asobo with their longest running (one of the longest if not the longest running gaming IP) and most famous gaming IP, I'm betting that MS are compensating them quite well. If they also get a share of the addon revenues (which is huge) then I don't see Asobo dropping their MS partnership unless someone other than Phil Spencer takes over and they are incompetent.

Also, if Asobo doesn't want to be sold, they won't be sold, end of story. I don't believe they are a publicly traded company, so it's not like there can be a hostile takeover (which you wouldn't want to do if you wanted to keep their dev teams anyway). Sure they might sell private shares of the company, but they'll always keep the majority of shares in house since they desire to remain an independent developer.

So, sure, in the hypothetical situation that Asobo decides to walk away from lucrative contracts with MS, that would potentially be a problem for MS, but there's nothing MS can do about that other than what they are likely already doing (offering a lot of money to develop titles for them). It's not like MS can buy them if Asobo does not want to be bought.

I'd argue that it's potentially more of a problem for Asobo if MS were to hypothetically hand over development of Flight Simulator to an internal MS Studios team. But again, I see no reason for MS to do that if Asobo continues to do such good work.

Regards,
SB

Well something big might be happening. ETA on that is the first half of their fiscal year and it could be upwards of 20.

There are 2-3 others in the works but they are all sub 10 with one being around 1
20? Is Activision selling off Blizzard or something? None of the big Japanese studios seem to be for sale, especially to a western company. That leaves companies like Ubisoft or Take Two in that price range.

The problem is that if Asobo leaves I wonder who could replace them. Would be a huge loss. Even bigger than Double Helix (arguably).
I think it's very unlikely that anyone buys Asobo out from under MS. So I don't think there'll be an issue. If they decide to sell MS will probably get first go at it, and also bid very high.

20? Is Activision selling off Blizzard or something? None of the big Japanese studios seem to be for sale, especially to a western company. That leaves companies like Ubisoft or Take Two in that price range.
Intellivsion Amico

There are a few things out there that would set them back upwards of 20

1ish , 7ish , 8ish and 20ish.

obviously prices can be different if the sales come to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back