Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

Well, at least in Magic Leaps case there, they've managed to shrink it from taking up half a room (words from someone who worked there 2 years ago) to being transported around on a cart. :D

Regards,
SB
lol.

Good article. Quite interesting. I'm wondering if the requirement to have it completely surround your vision is necessary or not. I can't decide, I suppose it would make sense to.

Eurogamer has shared this video of someone playing a FPS using AR technology.

It's pretty nice, it also shows shadowing, which I didn't expect, and the lighting is correct. One thing I didn't like much is how the HUD gets out of your FOV from time to time.

If this is real and not fake...I'll buy it day 1.

It's about two years that I see some unrealizable ar concept trying to steal money with a kickstarter campaign, and I'm talking about something impossible even with hololens running on some year old smarthphone

Don't you think that when Occulus Rift, Morpheus and Hololens come out, videogames from previous eras would feel like returning to the Stone Age?

Don't you think that when Occulus Rift, Morpheus and Hololens come out, videogames from previous eras would feel like returning to the Stone Age?
Yea , I played Star citizen with the dk1 and now playing it on my eyefinity rig is just depressing . Aliens on my dk2 is also amazing.

However there will always be amazing experiances you can't have with a vr rig on your head

Yea , I played Star citizen with the dk1 and now playing it on my eyefinity rig is just depressing . Aliens on my dk2 is also amazing.

However there will always be amazing experiances you can't have with a vr rig on your head
I still don't buy VR much because of bulky stuff on my head impending people from knowing what's going around them in real life, but I gotta admit that the future is now.

On a different note, John Carmack gave a conference at GDC 15 about mobile VR. He aged a little, didn't he?

I know of VR mobile devices that let you see movies in 3D and stuff like that, but I just don't see its usefulness for games, nothing beats a nice console or PC in that sense.

At this rate though we are going to have a TV in our heads, all day long.

I don't see vr as the way forward for mobile. I think ar like the hololens is the way forward for that . I could be on the train or a bus with my halolens on watching a movie or viewing a website and still be aware of whats happening around me.

They brought hundreds of them to build2015 so people can try it out. Gonna be interesting.

Also, it looked like the finished unit had a number of different comfort adjustments, which is cool. You seemed to be able to adjust the circumference

Last edited:
Reactions: Jwm
I'm impressed with how far Microsoft got here. Perhaps this is little more than DK1 in terms of how far along the hardware is, but it's pretty impressive nevertheless, and since they brought a hundred or so to build for people to mess with them, it seems to progress faster than I expected.

I like the cut-away view at the bottom of that page. Too bad we can't see more of the light engine.

LOL. Hololens remind of those wrap around sun glasses you see senior citizens wear all the time. Remember V the TV show from the 80s?
images

Oh Diana.. you were so alluring but so mean to mice.

One thing I'll say is that the word "cheap" does not come to mind when I see that tearaway view of the internals. I still think it's going to be in the $600+ range. Maybe I'm wrong.

Back