Microsoft Flight Simulator (MS FS 2020) [XBSX|S, PC]

Have to admit I'm surprised this isn't xcloud day one with consoles.
As they've talked about it being accessible via it.

From OscarK Dev@Xbox
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fl...pre-load-live-now.458199/page-4#post-69914493
Flight Simulator supports the optional chunks feature which allows you to install/uninstall parts of the game. The metadata describing these chunks didn't propagate simultaneously with the pre-load, so the initial displayed chunk was "everything" at ~97GB; this has now been fixed and the optional chunk is showing correctly. You can manage the installation in the Manage section of the UX accessible either by selecting "Manage" instead of "Install" or through the context menu once installed.

In Flight Simulator's case, the optional chunk is a ~59GB offline world chunk that is only required for offline play. Whilst online, this data is not used and the game instead streams in additional data that is cached locally (also visible and manageable in the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
A lot of people put in a lot of work to get all these features working and it's nice to see them being utilized by a showcase experience.

Perhaps we can have the thread title fixed to reflect the base game size more accurately?
20210721_181324.jpg

@Albuquerque Supposedly the PC updates will enjoy the reduced size & performance improvements that was necessary for bringing the game to the console.
Right, that's what I was alluding to. I suppose I phrased my question poorly: has anyone confirmed all those nifty new performance enhancements have made it to the release this month?

The obvious answer is: STFU AND GOOGLE, N00B :D

The Googles suggest it is coming, but no specific date for the PC just yet apparently.

Been playing this on XsS for a few days now.
at first i found the graphics to be more cartoonish than what i saw on videos, then i found out that "bing maps" data was not activated in the menus, and that there are textures/models packs of various parts of the world in the store to increase detail further.

Gorgeous! I'm gonna buy myself FS and all the yoke / pedal / throttle gear for Christmas this year :)

Every time I see footage of this game, I'm always amazed at how good it looks and I can't help but wonder how this is even possible.

More than that, however, I keep wishing they'd use this tech to make a WW I dogfighting simulator. WW I specifically because it'd allow you to really appreciate the landscape while dogfighting. My best memories from when I used to be heavily into flight simulators was the WW I era flight sims followed by the WW II era flight sims. I could never get into the jet propelled flight sims because flying sort of lost its wonder when you are either so far above the landscape that it ceases to give you that sense of flight or you're flying so fast over the ground that you don't have time to anything before your ground target is there and gone again.

So yeah, I'd absolutely kill for something like the Red Baron or Aces of the Pacific (or even Aces over Europe) being remade. Yes, for those of you astute enough to pick up the common theme among those games, I absolutely LOVED the flight sims that were made by Dynamix. It was a sad day for me when they ceased operations.

Regards,
SB

Every time I see footage of this game, I'm always amazed at how good it looks and I can't help but wonder how this is even possible.

In many games, your game is splitting it's graphical effort on your characters/vehicles, environmental characters/vehicles, enemy characters/vehicles. By it's nature, Flight Sim does this less so they can really go to town on the environment, environment and weather effects. If FS was trying to simulate a world with ped/vehcile density and complexity of GTA V, they'd have to make some compromises.

In many games, your game is splitting it's graphical effort on your characters/vehicles, environmental characters/vehicles, enemy characters/vehicles. By it's nature, Flight Sim does this less so they can really go to town on the environment, environment and weather effects. If FS was trying to simulate a world with ped/vehcile density and complexity of GTA V, they'd have to make some compromises.
Yes theres that but also framerate aint so important, if it was an actual game you couldnt release something where the framerate drops so much (well you could and games have but they will be cruicified, eg cyberpunk 2077 on ps4/xb1)
Here because everything happens so slow, you can get away with having a low framerate.
To me what this program does best is amazing, is it streams from anywhere in the world and is able to create a reasonable approximation of how it looks, sure it falls apart if you look closely by flying low, but just attempting this is and succeeding so well is worthy of applause

I'm gonna buy myself FS and all the yoke / pedal / throttle gear for Christmas this year
What platform ?
If it's xbox i would recommend this :
Turtle Beach VelocityOne Flight $350
CBw4VGw.jpg

Last edited:
Davros!

Do not blaspheme in this thread! There is only ONE MASTER GAMING RACE! :D (yes, it's a joke, everyone relax!)

It's all PC for me, the new rig is a 5950x with 64GB of CL14 B-die DDR4 at 3600MHz, an EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, and a pair of Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drives (1TB for OS, 2TB for Steam library.) Finally replaced my nearly 10-year old 4.5GHz 3930k with 32GB of DDR3 1600MHz and an Aorus 1080Ti.with a pair of Sammy 850 Evo SATA drives. Quite the difference!

I remember another thread where someone told me gamers don't buy $2000 video cards. Yeah, so tha was a lie ;)

Back