Microsoft exploring a new GamePass tier?

This cheaper tier will reportedly cost just $3 a month but will come with some major limitations, including first-party titles no longer dropping day-one on Game Pass – instead being available to play 6 months later.
Additionally, this tier will supposedly include ads, appearing prior to the launch of a game – though it is currently unclear exactly how this would work. Finally, it seems this tier would also prevent you from using the service’s online and mobile Cloud streaming – being a download-only affair.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed that is good if it is how I interpret it. They only mention 1st party games not dropping day and date for ad supported subscribers rather than any game dropping day and date.

That's an important distinction as presumably 1st party games won't ever leave the service short of stopping support for GAAS games. 3rd party games could, OTOH drop out at any time due to various factors (contractual agreements, too low player engagement to justify the cost of any contracted developer reimbursement terms, etc.) So there'd be a possibility of a 3rd party title dropping day and date and then getting removed with that first 6 months resulting in an ad supported subscription tier player never getting a chance to even try it.

So, if my interpretation is correct that only 1st party games won't be available day and date for ad supported games that means that MS thought ahead about the potential impact on 3rd party games and adjusted the policy accordingly.

Also, I view this as a partial response to PS+ matching GP's lowest subscription tier pricing. With this new tier, MS can advertise a lower subscription plan available for a gaming subscription service while still matching Sony's offering (not putting 1st party games day and date on the service). Of course, the caveat being that there will be ads on the lowest subscription tier.

In other words, having competition is good.

As well, this will position themselves better for entry into lower income countries.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Possibly launching in the US as $40, roughly on par with the former Xbox Live Gold Family plan. At that price all you need is yourself and 2 others to go in to save money. You can have upto 5 in the plan, which breaks out to $8 per.

If you don't have any friends or less than 2 other friends, then you can still stick with your current GamePass Ultimate plan.

Edit: it could be possible the user had their region set to somewhere else to get access to games early (such as NewZealand) and forgot about it, and that region now has the Friends&Family program rolling out for testing.

Back