Microsoft Edge *spin-off from Consoles*

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by DSoup, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DmitryKo

Regular

Chromium and Blink do come with a free, open-source license, but for all intents and purposes they are owned and developed by Google, with the help of the Chromium community.

Free/open/open-source licenses are copyright licenses and the source code is still copyright-protected - exclusive rights assumed by the creator are not waived or transferred, but rather licensed to anyone on permissive terms.

#61 DmitryKo, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Chrome is really starting to piss me off right now. After a day or two being open with multiple tabs and multiple windows, it'll just stop responding to user input. Task manager shows it as still running as normal (no, no responding tag), but you can't actually do anything with it. Can't move the windows, can't select other tabs, can't minimize or restore windows, etc. Can't close Chrome normally.

The only thing I can do is end task on it and start it up again. Thank goodness Chrome at least saves the status of the tabs, except for the last one opened before it goes unresponsive, otherwise I'd be really raging right now.

So much for my attempt to move away from Edge for mainline work and use Chrome instead. Piece of casual rubbish, just as bad as Edge but in different ways (for example, drains excessive battery on mobile devices, unless they FINALLY fixed that. It's been a problem for many years).

Regards,
    SB

Sxotty and AlBran like this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

still, there is something going on, whether Edge is the culprit or not, that's a different story.

But this video renders like at 15-20 frames per second or less if played at 4k on Edge, while it plays totally smooth on Chrome (i7 CPU + 1050Ti GPU, 16GB of RAM, so it should do fine). This didnt happen some time ago, when I played 4k videos on Edge just fine -autumn of 2017 after purchasing a 4k monitor-.

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It is kind of weird to have something like background / in window play hidden behind a paywall on iOS all of a sudden. And I was really looking forward to being able to pay to not see adds, but now it is here it is linked to YouTube Music and other stuff and I am totally not interested in that at all (I much prefer Spotify) and it costs 17 euros. That is way too much. Under 10 would have been much better and not having ads I am pretty sure their ad revenue is not even close to 10 per month. Plus it would be crazy to have to pay the same amount again for my son to skip ads under his account.

5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

well, I usually hear good things about Google. But a fellow forumer replied this to me in a thread I created -on another forum- and it got my attention.

I am only telling you that I work in a sector where a Google decision makes hundreds of companies disappear. They are tyrants, transparency is non-existent for them, it is impossible to receive feedback from them or contact them even if you are a relatively large company. The Internet is their fucking shooting range and they do whatever they want with it. If they enter the world of video games we have to do everything we can to make them leave soon.

6. tuna

Veteran

I do not think Yoshida and company are shitting their pants for Google. Look at Amazon and gaming, has that had any impact whatsoever?