Microsoft Edge *spin-off from Consoles*

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by DSoup, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

When opening a bookmark folder from the bookmark bar, the contents of the folder scrolls slightly before coming to a stop.

...WHY.

It's been doing this since launch version of this shitty browser (verified occurring on two completely separate PCs) and it's friggin' annoying. Also, when middle mouse button-clicking a bookmark, the menu doesn't close automatically. Instead the open menu eats the next mouse click, forcing you to click AGAIN to perform the task you actually desired in the first place. This is completely at odds with how windows has worked since forever basically. Same thing happens when you click on one folder in the bookmarks bar to open it, then try to click on a different folder; the open folder eats the mouse click.

WHY!!!!!

*explodes into a cloud of vapor*

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Ok, I quit trying to use Edge, because it's a genuine piece of shit browser. Seriously, it is SO SO BAD. Easily worst I have ever used, in modern times (not counting the attempts at browsing I ran on my ancient Amiga in the mid-90s before getting my first PC.)

I suppose IE11 is behind Edge these days, because it's a deprecated piece of software, so like I said: worst modern browser.

Seriously, what a genuine piece of crap this is. Truly an embarrassment for Microsoft, and a blight on the internet as a whole.

3. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

On a workstation in my office I have for personal browsing and music and such, it was using Edge to read PDFs. A simple 2Mb PDF with an image background it would literally take 10+ seconds to show the 2nd page after scrolling down. Opening the same PDF in Chrome, <1s for the same page.

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

What finally tipped the scales for me was browser tabs crashing from pressing enter to create an empty line in a text input box like this one, on a site comments page. (!!!)
    <<<---Like this one right here (ignore this text :p)​
    Fuggin CRASHED. From pressing enter!!! Repeatably, consistently. Also, could not use arrow keys to navigate cursor between paragraphs of text either. Unbelievable! How hard is it to just get a text input box to work properly?!

5. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

One minor thing in Edge's favor. When using browsers for viewing PDFs, if the PDF has fields, checkboxes etc, you can't save it in Chrome. Edge allows you to save it once you've filled in information.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

the browser that's saving my ass now is Internet Explorer. I wonder why other browsers don't have the option to disable multimedia content, such as video or images. I am on a Vodafone 80GBs metered connection and IE is the only browser where I can disable multimedia, afaik. With only 9.8GB left and 14 days to go until the 80GBs are renewed, it's the browser I am using to write this message.

The new Brave web browser sounds interesting btw.

#26 Cyan, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  7. Rikimaru

Regular Newcomer

Opera 12 had option to not load images or show only cached and load any by a click. Vivaldi browser (successor to Opera 12) seems to have it, but it does not work same way. Also there is an extension for Firefox.

Cyan likes this.
  8. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Brave is a bellow avereage browser to put it mildly.

But its ideea of rewarding sites you visit more often is really cool. Which is why I'm kinda stuck with it

Cyan likes this.
  9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

hmmmm thanks, I use opera several hours a day, just to open "normal" pages, haha, and I didn't know about that feature. Might keep Opera as it is and use Firefox with that extension instead... What's the name of the extension?

10. zed

zed
    Veteran

surely that’s possible with Firefox and prolly chrome as well

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

another point for Edge. It's probably one of the best free ePUB readers out there. When reading EPUB files, Edge has a very cool and easy to use interface, with a comfortable on the eyes background color and fonts. Compared to plain PDFs, the text adjusts automatically based on the width and height of the window where you are reading a book.

Also, blocks of code in programming books are wrapped in a box so you can scroll them up and down freely -although this system still needs work, some blocks of code appear in a box, others don't-. Gotta add that EPUB files are better to read than PDF, imho

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

newest windows insider build has a big fat beta strapped across the edge icon.

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I still don't like Edge any more than I did before, but, I do like the new subtle graphical touch that they added to it which you only notice in certain cases.. There's a subtle grey shading circle that follows your mouse cursor which highlights the edges of boxes (like the address field) and buttons (which are invisible until the mouse gets near). It doesn't shade any non-interactive UI elements, however, which enhances its visual appeal and makes it easy to tell at a glance what you can interact with even if your mouse cursor isn't hovering directly over the interactive zone.

It's a subtle but very satisfying effect. I'd like to see it incorporated into standard windows (explorer, for instance, doesn't have it but Calculator does). Maybe this is something limited to UWP apps?

Regards,
    SB

Kyyla likes this.