Microsoft Edge *spin-off from Consoles*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I like Edge and use it since release of Windows 10.

I made a distinct effort to use Edge when I upgraded everything to W10. I had no idea there were so many advertisements on the internet, including on Youtube.

Now, I don't know which of my numerous blockers prevent ads from showing on Youtube when running Firefox, but something sure does.

Edge has a number of interesting features, but all those ads result in either a loss of productivity or eat into my entertainment time, depending on what it is I'm trying to do.

Maybe if I bothered to block the ads at the router level, Edge would be a better experience. But that seems like a lot of effort to use a particular product when other products already exist that don't require that sort of maintenance.

Maybe if I bothered to block the ads at the router level, Edge would be a better experience. But that seems like a lot of effort to use a particular product when other products already exist that don't require that sort of maintenance.
thought edge supports ad blocker extension?
i know it didn't support extensions when it first launched, got added at some point

As I said sometime back in the Win10 thread (I think): Edge is a perfectly adequate browser

...for getting to the Firefox & Chrome download pages :yes:

Edge is improving every day. I use it to keep my bookmarks in the cloud most of all. It has some nice features they added as of recently. For a console it is a pretty solid browser I think, on PC there are quite a few alternatives and that's a totally different story. It has been an unstable browser for a while but it's getting better. Perhaps a bit too "w10 store" looking for my taste, interface wise, but it usually works ok...

the integration with the ecosystem and antivirus, cloud stuff and how your top sites are handled is the thing I like the most about it.

My main browser is firefox, but due to me disabling scripts etc some sites dont work and the gf uses chrome on this PC, so its easier to use a 3rd browser (edge in this case)
my main problem with Edge is I open it up, paste a URL in the titlebar and it often ignores it and just displays edge's title page. Either I have to start up edge and then wait some seconds, ~5 seconds, before I post the URL or just create a new tab and then paste URL into that tab, its not a biggy, sure its a bug you won't notice if you're only using edge, but for one like me who uses it sometimes its mildly annoying

So um, I ran into this
DXUGWoBXkAQMKZY.jpg:large

Confirmed it does that on my PC too, isn't that an antitrust type issue? :runaway:

Sidepoint: in upcoming Win10 update they seem to have found a way to get Edge/Bing usage up -by tagging it onto a bunch of windows whether you want it or not via the Sets feature :nope:

typical kiwi dickheads, edge is actually pretty good, except for when it ignores what I type. I like thats its usage is small, less likely to be targeted by hacks, so if I stream a film I always use edge.

Making another attempt at trying out Edge. It's a damn ugly duckling this one, that's for sure. It doesn't conform to standard windows desktop app appearance, it doesn't support custom icons for bookmarks (so you can't identify a site at a glance by its icon appearance), its autoscroll performance is not smooth (clicking middle mouse button), and I'm sure there's more things I could gripe about as well.

So why bother then?

Well, it's mainly that Gizmodo Media sites cause Chrome tabs to wonk out and stop working. Today the problems increased to the point pages won't even load at all into a freshly opened tab. Incredibly fragging annoying!

Initial testing seems to indicate whatever problem is causing Chrome's issues, does not affect Edge. So there's that, at least...

• "Save As" can't be made a default.
  • Side-bar can't be made on the left.
  • Can't adjust size of side-bar
  • copy image/video URL is not a thing
  • when I try to sort bookmarks for the Favourite bar by name, it just keeps looping until I right-click again
  • no bookmark separator line for the bookmark listing
  • not even a "highlight text -> search Bing" function

Last edited:
Indeed... I mean, I want to give it a chance, but... eh.

But hey, at least non-power users can "Inspect element". :rolleyes:

I'm wondering who actually uses the "Share with contact/people", but maybe I'm out of touch with using the share button, which is limited to whatever social media buttons exist on image sharing sites, but otherwise unusable for forums or even instant messaging.

I just find it funny that I can highlight text in Firefox and Search Bing (gotta get those rewards), but they have no such thing on Edge to make it easy.

I just find it funny that I can highlight text in Firefox and Search Bing (gotta get those rewards), but they have no such thing on Edge to make it easy.
Yeah, I used this piece of shit for roughly 23 seconds and noticed there was no way to right-click a word (or highlight a block) and search for it. Whattafrag. How can they make a browser A: without this feature, and B: let years pass without adding it in. How lazy you have to be? But it's standard MS treatment of browsers ever since IE6 first launched: always bare minimum of effort.

They were much more aggressive back when they were still trailing Netscape Navigator badly in usage, but that was like, decades ago by now pretty much.

Also, I noticed they have engineered edge to not show any additional search engines in the settings pane unless you manually surf to a search engine first. All you get as standard is friggin' bung! I have no doubt whatsoever this is purely a deliberate attempt to confuse users so they won't be able to switch default search engine.

Back