Microsoft Blog Entry:Sales number, usage stats and hints at new XBL-capable devices

Depends on how you define "doing well"...

If you compared Zune to iPod then no it didn't do as well. When you compare it to other branded players it did quite well.

Do you seriously believe buying into Nokia will suddenly give them a leg up on iOS and Android phones? There are already WP7 by a handful of manufacturers, what makes you think Nokia will somehow magically improve the situation?

What part of my post even mentions Nokia, let alone supporting the idea of buying them out :?: Looks like you need to slow down or CTFO...

Well, technically Xbox as a foray into hardware has been pretty damn successful...

Just consider it up against the skype acquisition, 8.5b for skype, whereas they've probably lost 4-5 billion on Xbox over ten years, if even that much by now (360 is likely profitable for it's lifetime already, all the losses on Xbox 1)...seems like a good deal to me, in exchange for a major brand name and tens of millions of boxes sitting on top of peoples TV's, even if they havent completely leveraged them yet.

I'm surprised MS would even need to buy into the cellphone market. I mean just look at Apple, they came out from nowhere and created the most popular phone in the world.
One rather logical thing is that they simply can't compete without making the phones themselves. Just remember the sales numbers for the first WP7 devices that went on sale late last year, they weren't even anywhere near 10% vs android or iphones.

How's about "exists anywhere other than just North America"?

I expect a big reason for the Nokia partnership is to try to rectify this.

I'm not believing the buyout rumors until I see it happen. It doesn't seem to make sense based on their current arrangements with other manufacturers. It's not their partners' fault that the hardware isn't that compelling. MS are the ones who have chosen to have such a rigid hardware spec (meaning that they have been consistently behind the latest and greatest of the Android devices).

I saw a lot to like. I want to see how navigation works with KB+M and Kinect.
Maybe I'm missing something, but can't this be recreated on Windows 7 with an HTML5 application interface, similar to Media Centre? And call me paranoid, but the "easy access to all the files on your computer for web applications" strikes me as asking for trouble! I'll wait a good long while before giving Windows 8 a look.

On the upside though, computing dose need some radical shift away from its current complexity, and this move makes sense if MS is to capture the market that tablets are steamrolling. extending Live will help, effectively MS playing the opposite partner to Sony. Sony are a hardware company with the devices but not the software services, who are trying to change that. MS are a software company without the hardware capabilities to compete with rival devices, and they may be trying to change that. Interestingly though there's a rumour that Sony are looking to buy Netflix. Would make sense to help scupper MS's moves, but I wouldn't have thought Sony would have the means to.

$8.3 billion isn't half of what it would take to acquire netflix, and I don't doubt it would have regulatory issues.

I was told MS has a lot of $$$ overseas. Instead of getting them back to US and incur huge tax charges, they might as well invest in overseas entities.

The rewards page now has "MyStats" in it:
MS PR said:
Get the lowdown on how you compare with your fellow Global Xbox LIVE Community members with MyStats, only available to Xbox LIVE Rewards Gold members.*

For those of us who like charts and graphs it is excellent. It certainly shows that I am an outlier with regards to Marketplace:

Xbox LIVE Marketplace - 6 Month View
my paid marketplace downloads:120
average per LIVE community: 8

Other sections so far are:
My Top Games Past 6 Months
Check out your most played games over the last 6 months and see how your time spent gaming compares to the rest of the worldwide Xbox LIVE Community.

My Achievements
Take a look at how your achievements from the last 6 months match up to the rest of the worldwide Xbox LIVE Rewards Community.

My Gameplay - Time Spent
Recap the time you've spent over the last 6 months playing single and multiplayer games.

My Entertainment Use
Look over your entertainment usage from the past 6 months to see how you've been getting the most out of your Xbox LIVE membership.

$8.3 billion isn't half of what it would take to acquire netflix, and I don't doubt it would have regulatory issues.

Sony have $12billion in cash reserves. But as far as i know there's ALOTof extra money within Sony corp. Hoarding i think it's called.

Sony have $12billion in cash reserves. But as far as i know there's ALOTof extra money within Sony corp. Hoarding i think it's called.

According to the link I quoted (shifty's), they have $8.3 billion, but I really don't care, $12 billion still wouldn't be near enough to acquire netflix (which has a current market cap over $15 billion and would go up with an attempted buy) which was my only point. Once the bidding starts on a property like netflix I wouldn't be surprised to see other much richer (MS, Apple, Google or others) suitors which would drive the price well beyond Sony's means.

MSFT EDD is going to have a really good shipment number for the quarter given the June NPD numbers. 507,000 360's sold-through...

Back