Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Possibility (IMO, high) that MS won't retain Bobby Kotick depending on when the acquisition goes through.

Microsoft Confirms Bobby Kotick Isn't Leaving Activision (Yet) (screenrant.com)

UPDATE 01/19/22 07:52 am PST: Since the time of writing, Kotick declined to tell NYTimes that he will remain CEO after the Microsoft and Activision Blizzard deal closes, noting that he will "be available as needed" following the buyout. Original story as follows.

I'm guessing that if the deal goes through this year, he'll remain until the end of the year. If the deal completes next year, then he'll remain only as long as it takes for everything to transition to MS control.

Regards,
SB

I find it weird that people would expect him to be removed immediately. Replacing a ceo isn't easy, especially during an acquisition. I know he's a huge piece of shit and everything, but I wouldn't expect him to go right away. I do expect it to happen.

I just don't see how a game that's selling like 10+ million copies on Playstation could go xbox exclusive. It's just way too much money left on the table. You could do it with a smaller title, not COD. They're buying that revenue. I think it makes more sense to put it on gamepass on xbox, so it basically becomes the best deal to play on xbox, but still available on playstation for $70 for each title.
They will be doing it gradually. They want to phase out competition and immigrate everyone on the service they own

They will be doing it gradually. They want to phase out competition and immigrate everyone on the service they own

They have no real way of forcing anything, except for pricing. If they make the next cod exclusive there will just be outrage and they'll lose 1/2 - 2/3 of the cod revenue they bought. The only thing they can really do is make it a better deal with gamepass, or off exclusive dlc, but those won't entice anywhere near a majority to switch over.

I'm not sure it'll ever happen for COD. The backlash from COD being made exclusive will make the disagreements about MS making Bethesda titles exclusive seem like a tiny match next to a forest fire. :p

It could happen, but I think it's more likely that they'll keep COD multiplatform much like Minecraft. It's a way to not have most gamers turn sour on MS and keeps at least some goodwill in the face of MS potentially making other IPs exclusive.

Also, that's 100's of millions (possibly billions) of USD a year they'd be throwing away if they made it exclusive.

Regards,
SB

Wow just saw this on the news (oddly the showed a picture of candy crush as what activision makes :LOL: funny for 2 things, #1 I didnt even know they owned it, #2 unlike COD its not their marquee title, though I suppose as this was a normal non gaming newsite, candycrush is prolly what most ppl are familiar with)

Hopefully this causes a major shakeup in the industry with some new IPs

The article itself focuses on the Government looking into this WRT Apple, Google and Meta (Facebook). That makes sense as those platforms impact far more peoples lives. Mobile devices and mobile apps have significantly more consumer penetration than PCs and consoles. No doubt any new rules and regulations related to regulatory oversight of mergers would obviously apply to MS and any other digital tech company as well. But this is definitely not something that is being instigated due to anything MS do WRT to the video games market.

Regards,
SB

That may be the plan, but it paves the way for something to replace COD. That's going to incentivise a lot of publishers if COD leaves PlayStation because there is now a void to fill.

But microsofts "exclusive" means you can play their games on PC, on series s, series x, steam, windows store. On cloud, to every device made by man - phones, tablets, using any controller. Buy the games or subscribe a couple of months to gamepass for peanuts. MS's exclusivity means anyone can play in a million ways. If sony buys something absolutely nobody can play anything, anywhere, unless they buy their console.

Microsoft seems to want to slowly kill them over a long period of time plus have everyone feel as if subscribing to gamepass is mandatory.

But I didn't say anything about what happens with Sony or nintendo buying anything. I said I hope they allow software on other platforms. Surely at this point Sony and Nintendo can't be considered rivals.

Buying entire sections of the gaming industry it's entirety is not something I like. So I think it's fair to hope for atleast MS being charitable than yet another corpo defense of their strategy

Last edited:
Hum, something possibly about EA, Take-Two/Rockstar, Ubisoft, WB/NetherRealms, Square-Enix, or Capcom today or later this week. We shall see...

There's a huge difference between a 7.5 billion USD purchase and a 68.7 billion USD purchase. There's also a difference between an IP that reaches significantly more players every year compared to just about any Bethesda studio title. While TES reaches a lot of people it doesn't reach that number of people every year.

Assuming that MS will treat the COD IP in the same way as they plan to treat Bethesda IPs is foolish in the extreme, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Assuming that MS will treat the COD IP in the same way as they plan to treat Bethesda IPs is foolish in the extreme, IMO.
Regulators could approve the acquisition upon undertakings of keeping key IP multi-platform. Conditional approvals are not uncommon.

Personally I cannot see the issue. But I think the way regulators approach this will be more along the lines of are there other shooters available? Yes there are. Ok, so who cares. But I may not understand the nuances. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back