Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

This pretty much invalidates the FTCs case here. Even their competitors know they will be fine, ergo you don’t block a competitor from trying to compete, you block if you can prove that they are building a monopoly.

Their main competitor isn’t concerned.

that runs counter intuitive to competition is supposed to make things better for the consumer.

That’s like saying, everyone in the telecom market can survive with very high price points, so let’s block everything to ensure that doesn’t change. We do want things to change, consumers want more value or access for money.

So, it's OK to take Jim's email at face value, but not Phil's comments which is essentially echoing Jim's statement. Anyhow, I don't think it invalidates the FTC case, since the case doesn't exclusively revolve around Sony. IMHO, I think the evidence of Microsoft could/would hold games away from Sony as they did with ZeniMax/Bethesda is more compelling on stopping the merger, especially how it is playing out in the media.

So, it's OK to take Jim's email at face value, but not Phil's comments which is essentially echoing Jim's statement. Anyhow, I don't think it invalidates the FTC case, since the case doesn't exclusively revolve around Sony. IMHO, I think the evidence of Microsoft could/would hold games away from Sony as they did with ZeniMax/Bethesda is more compelling on stopping the merger, especially how it is playing out in the media.
I don’t think it’s about picking and choosing. It’s about whether fair competition is at play and whether this merger will result in a monopoly.

That is the basis the FTC is blocking from. Yes both can survive with the status quo, but the status quo doesn’t mean it’s good for consumers.

FTC should not be blocking on the grounds of competition, they should be blocking if that leads to a monopoly which results in a lessening of competition and the exploitation of that monopoly.

I don’t think it’s about picking and choosing. It’s about whether fair competition is at play and whether this merger will result in a monopoly.

That is the basis the FTC is blocking from. Yes both can survive with the status quo, but the status quo doesn’t mean it’s good for consumers.

FTC should not be blocking on the grounds of competition, they should be blocking if that leads to a monopoly which results in a lessening of competition and the exploitation of that monopoly.

So, Microsoft purchasing another large publisher, doesn't seem like a potential monopoly to you? All this talk of fair competition sounds hollow to me, especially from an organization that has proven time and time again, that this is never their aim.

So, Microsoft purchasing another large publisher, doesn't seem like a potential monopoly to you? All this talk of fair competition sounds hollow to me, especially from an organization that has proven time and time again, that this is never their aim.
No, because you cannot know the future.

I mean straight up Jim says it’s not a problem. And no one else has indicated it’s a problem except google who is no longer in the business.

It’s a publisher they are buying, not AMD which supplies Sony’s hardware.

It’s a lot of guess work to believe that you know the future of what gamers want to play over 10 years from now.

No, because you cannot know the future.

So, we're both in agreement here. As such, Microsoft can potentially become a monopoly in the gaming space, correct? And since no one can predict the future, it is up to regulatory bodies to make such decisions based on prior trends, behaviors, and data that company A or X has exhibited in the pass (i.e., monopolistic practices), correct?

I'm sure his video testimonial will be "I said that on Tuesday. On Wednesday we looked at **mumbles** and changed our position.

Or, we reevaluated the market... or, identified some incorrect data... or, Santa Claus misled us. :yep2:

Better yet, a thought experiment! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So, we're both in agreement here. As such, Microsoft can potentially become a monopoly in the gaming space, correct? And since no one can predict the future, it is up to regulatory bodies to make such decisions based on prior trends, behaviors, and data that company A or X has exhibited in the pass (i.e., monopolistic practices), correct?
And so could Sony.

past behaviour is not a stronger indicator than current behaviour.

They just moved all their games to GeForce Now and agreed to let anyone stream cod license free for 10 years. Nintendo will also be given CoD.

We can at least know the next 10 years. You cannot even know the state of the games for ATVI in the next 10 years, they may have no impact. Maybe the labour force leaves etc etc.

MS has provided a long term commitment for the next 10 years, anything beyond that is not knowable.

And so could Sony.
Natural monopolies sometimes happen without acquisitions.

If Sony become a monopoly in the console videogame market, are you advocating that monopoly is deconstructed?

And so could Sony.
Never stated otherwise.
past behaviour is not a stronger indicator than current behaviour.
Yes it is, especially when that company is currently in the midst of several inquiries/investigations on such practices.
They just moved all their games to GeForce
Sure, but why not prior to CMA's decision?

Now and agreed to let anyone stream cod license free for 10 years.
Sure, the EU accepted this particular remedy. CMA/UK and US/FTC don't have to.
Nintendo will also be given CoD.
They officially can't do anything contractual wise, since they haven't ok'd the merger. As such, it's nothing more than an IOU and spit handshake.

We can at least know the next 10 years.
Maybe, maybe not. You know, the future and all that jazz!?

You cannot even know the state of the games for ATVI in the next 10 years, they may have no impact. Maybe the labour force leaves etc etc.
Sure anything can happen, gotcha!

Natural monopolies sometimes happen without acquisitions.

If Sony become a monopoly in the console videogame market, are you advocating that monopoly is deconstructed?
I think I would advocate for there to be competition than for there to be a monopoly. As in, I wouldn’t see this as a reason to block their competitors from trying to compete through acquisitions.

If this is the cost to compete in this space against an entrenched market leader, let them compete.

The cost of the merger shouldn’t scare me as long as we know that this publisher is not a key input to owning the industry at large.

Yes it is, especially when that company is currently in the midst of several inquiries/investigations on such practices.
Sure, but why not prior to CMA's decision?
Because contracts are binding and much stronger than anything else. Because of that, they can take up to 12 months to negotiate and sign. These aren't just terms you throw out nilly willy. You still need to work out the P&L of every contract you sign. These take time to do. And so MS was organizing these during CMA's decision there's no doubt about that. You also can't ask a company to do something pre-emptively without knowing precisely what the regulators want to see. It doesn't work like that, you go work on B and the regulator asks for A to be completed. You just wasted time and money. Regulator says they want A resolved, you start working on A. You should only do as much as the regulators ask you to do, anything more than that is just plain guessing.

Sure, the EU accepted this particular remedy. CMA/UK and US/FTC don't have to.
The FTC has rejected everything upfront, I think we're well beyond that. It's already at court.
They officially can't do anything contractual wise, since they haven't ok'd the merger. As such, it's nothing more than an IOU and spit handshake.
Nintendo has signed contractually today that if MS comes to ownership of ABK they will receive COD. That's a contractual binding and very strong.
Maybe, maybe not. You know, the future and all that jazz!?
If MS acquires ABK, the next 10 years of ABK's properties are of known quantity, at least from a business perspective you know precisely what will happen with them.
Sure anything can happen, gotcha!
Unfortunately in the next 10 years, you don't know how _profitable_ these IPs are.

This isn't the same as distribution rights which are a known quantity to 2033.

I think I would advocate for there to be competition than for there to be a monopoly. As in, I wouldn’t see this as a reason to block their competitors from trying to compete through acquisitions.
There is competition now. In some markets, like desk operating systems and productivity software, Microsoft are on the top of those markets. In others, like consoles and videogames, they are not. There is never going to be an equal three-way split, markets simply don't develop like that.

Microsoft talk a lot about, and seem kind of fixated on, market share relative to Sony. You only see Sony talk about profits, that is their measure of success, to the numbers of PlayStation owners.

There is competition now. In some markets, like desk operating systems and productivity software, Microsoft are on the top of those markets. In others, like consoles and videogames, they are not. There is never going to be an equal three-way split, markets simply don't develop like that.

Microsoft talk a lot about, and seem kind of fixated on, market share relative to Sony. You only see Sony talk about profits, that is their measure of success, to the numbers of PlayStation owners.
You would be correct, I don't think there will ever be a three-way equal split, but clearly a more dominant position in the market you have, the less you would be afforded certain actions because that would result in complete domination of the market (I assume is the concern).

MS would have to downplay their market size (or giant size Sony's) to get this through. As long as ABK is not a critical input to doing business in the gaming market, then it just becomes a question of how badly this acquisition would harm the competition after the 10 years the acquisition is completed.

MS would have to downplay their market size (or giant size Sony's) to get this through.
That's not how the regulatory assessments work. One company's inability to compete in any given market is not evidence that the other dominant members need penalising but ceaseless eating of other independent parties (publishers) in the same market is obviously not good for a fair market and is why these regulators exists in the first place.

And again - and I can't stress this enough - if Microsoft try to bring about change to what regulatory powers apply to any company with a large market share, they will be shooting Windows and Office in the head. There are not separate monopoly rules for videogames versus everything else.

Here's the issue, at least in the US. It doesn't matter if at some point in the future it might possibly result in a corporation becoming a monopoly. US laws do not prohibit something like that.

What US laws do prohibit is anything that can be proven to be harmful to consumers. Again people need to understand that laws in the US aren't meant to protect companies (IE - competition), they are there to protect the consumer.

As such, unless it can be shown that this merger will result in harm to the consumer, then it is highly unlikely that the courts will move to block the merger.

Considering that even Sony believes that Microsoft have no intentions of removing COD from PlayStation, it's a huge uphill battle for the FTC to show that the merger is harmful to consumers.

Again, it does not matter if it's potentially harmful to Sony or any other competitor. In a case such as this, it can't be stressed enough that it must be shown that consumers will be harmed. You can potentially make a case for a consumer being harmed if a company becomes a monopoly or supplants the dominant market player (in this case Sony) and thus becomes the dominant market player if you can show that the company's actions after becoming the dominant market player will harm the consumer. IE - a history of actions deemed harmful to consumers.

Exclusivity in and of itself is rarely deemed evidence of harm to the consumer as it's common market practice. It would have to be shown that this exclusivity has led to practices that are harmful to consumers. Did that position lead to pricing levels that were exceptionally higher than the competition (especially if it happens after attaining a position of market dominance). Did the position lead to the company exerting leveraging it's power over other players in the market such that it lead to price fixing? Did they leverage their position to prevent other companies from making deals with companies that the dominant player did not approve of (in other words, did they use their market power to assume defacto control over another company that they do not own)? Etc.

It's going to be hard to show harm to the consumer when Microsoft's current actions and actions in the recent past have all been consumer focused. IE - they attempted to keep pricing levels lower even when their competition raised prices (games at 70 on PS but 60 on Xbox, holding off on increasing the price of their console for as long as possible, being the first console maker to bring their games to a non-console audience, allowing some of their games to remain multiplatform, etc.).

Sure, the FTC can show that MS has a history of making some IP exclusive after they were multiplatform. But that happens in the console industry regardless of whether or not X company owns Y IP. For example, Street Fighter V still hasn't appeared on Xbox consoles. Was it an exclusivity deal with Sony or was it done with no involvement from Sony (one reason why MS sought any Sony documents relating to deals with other companies).

Just like people need to keep in mind the basis of the rules, regulations and laws in the UK when looking at the CMA ruling, people really should try to understand rules, regulations and laws in the US WRT mergers and acquisitions.

To repeat, they are not there for the government to enforce a certain level of competition between businesses or corporations. They aren't there to protect smaller companies from larger companies. The laws regulation these things are very specifically meant to address potential harm to consumers.

As such, WRT the courts, it is all about the FTC needing to show that Microsoft's acquisition of ABK would lead to demonstrable harm to the consumers in the US. Again, the key being the US as the laws and the courts have no jurisdiction outside of the US.

So, yes, showing that MS could become a monopoly even though they are the minority competitor in the console market could be used as a strategy to show harm to the consumer, if they can show that with a dominant market position, MS would in turn leverage that in a way that can be shown to be harmful to consumers. That's the hard part as MS has been careful for many years now to not do things that would be deemed harmful to consumers in the US.

Regards,
SB

As such, WRT the courts, it is all about the FTC needing to show that Microsoft's acquisition of ABK would lead to demonstrable harm to the consumers in the US. Again, the key being the US as the laws and the courts have no jurisdiction outside of the US.
Your post is great but on this one point, it's worth remembering that extra-territorial laws are fairly commonplace and whilst US courts do not have jurisdiction over the actions of those outside their authority - which is nuanced as US courts ruling apply to those with US citizenship anywhere in the world - in practice, mutual legal assistance and extradition treaties mean that disregarding other countries laws can still carry penalties.

When it comes to legislation impacting international organisations and trade, which includes mergers and acquisitions, the WTO play a role here and they absolutely do have the power to dish out massively harsh penalties to any country whose courts disregard treaty-binding international trade laws and decisions by other WTO members. This is how any of this works and why so many regulators can sometimes need to to be consulted.

Your post is great but on this one point, it's worth remembering that extra-territorial laws are fairly commonplace and whilst US courts do not have jurisdiction over the actions of those outside their authority - which is nuanced as US courts ruling apply to those with US citizenship anywhere in the world - in practice, mutual legal assistance and extradition treaties mean that disregarding other countries laws can still carry penalties.

When it comes to legislation impacting international organisations and trade, which includes mergers and acquisitions, the WTO play a role here and they absolutely do have the power to dish out massively harsh penalties to any country whose courts disregard treaty-binding international trade laws and decisions by other WTO members. This is how any of this works and why so many regulators can sometimes need to to be consulted.

Sure but that is outside the scope of this particular court case of FTC versus Microsoft WRT the acquisition of ABK. The court cannot take into consideration anything an outside party or country would or would not do WRT how it applies to the laws of the US.

It is part of the separation of powers and limitation of powers of the Federal Government of the US.

Regards,
SB

Sure but that is outside the scope of this particular court case of FTC versus Microsoft WRT the acquisition of ABK. The court cannot take into consideration anything an outside party or country would or would not do WRT how it applies to the laws of the US.
Really? That is very surprising given the European, Middle Eastern, Asian and many African judicial processes can acknowledge decisions made by other regulators where they are relevant to their the impact assessments to their own territories.

What fundamental of US law prohibits acklowedgement of courts outside of the US jurisdiction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back