Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

How do you figure that the series s/x is sold less than the 360? Any data points I can find the series s/X are ahead significantly.
Estimations are ~12,5 million consoles end of 2022. The xbox360 sold 10,9 millions after two years. Series has no real appeal outside of america, so sales will be very limited for the future.

I am totally onboard with that perspective. But I could easily say the same thing about Fortnite, or Apex Legends. You can't just knock one of those out either.
And these are multiplatform. If Sony bought Epic and made Fortnite PS exclusive, there'd be potential XB owners who'll buy PS just to play Fortnite, and there's nothing MS could create to bring them back to XB. A new Halo or Fable or brand new IP won't win Fortnite fans away from Fortnite to play this new game on XBox. (Sony would of course lose insane revenues and this'd be a really dumb move!).
CoD Warzone is the most important IP that ABK has today, its not the most important IP in gaming. Warzone 2 just flopped to shit, their numbers are terrible and it could very well be on its way out.
I'm not at any point arguing about the realism of COD going exclusive nor the damage done or not by this proposed acquisition, nor even if Sony is right about COD's importance to PS. Only eastmen's idea that Sony can just knock up a replacement - "10 years puts us a few years into the ps6 likely. Plenty of time for that company Sony just bought to come up with a competitor...". Sony feel that COD is worth 10+ million players or something to them and they can't afford to lose the franchise. Creating a replacement isn't a valid option. That's my only point on COD. ;)

Creating a replacement isn't a valid option. That's my only point on COD. ;)
absolutely.
I'm totally in agreement with the perspective, but a 10 year contract is extremely generous from this point of view, with the expectation that after expiry that COD will continue to stay multiplatform.

These titles can only gain real revenues from spreading to as many users as possible. There's not going to be real value here for MS taking the title exclusive. If Sony is really going to Seattle to meet with MS, I would say it's not about access, but instead about payment. They would be willing to drop their case in exchange for more favourable profits for the next 10 years. I'm fairly positive they are sure they will have access 10 years an beyond.

Estimations are ~12,5 million consoles end of 2022. The xbox360 sold 10,9 millions after two years. Series has no real appeal outside of america, so sales will be very limited for the future.
Whose estimates? Thurrott had over 12m in January 2022. That's 14months. They are way ahead of 360 pace.

Are you serious?

Sony is stating this is the most important IP in all of gaming.

And we can’t look at other fps and esport titles that aren’t milsim? Should we corner the most important IP if all time to just fps cinematic single player with low skill ceiling multiplayer. The absolute best milsim battle royale is therefore the most important battle royale of all battle royale games and nothing else should count ?

Really ?

The FPS category is the most competitive market of games there are and there are many new entrants arriving all the time, with a great deal of innovation coming from games not named call of duty.

I didnt notice Sony stating it is the most importat IP in gaming. But they made a point that it is very important. No natter the case, I am not Sony and I didnt make such a point, so why bring it? Thats not what you and me were discussing

Sure you can look, but whats the point? They are not direct competitors. The numbers speak for themselves. The examples you mention and COD are games that are not one offs (finish once and put it o a shelf). They are different games that last through constant huge online engagement, and all enjoy massive audience, without one cannibalizing the other for playtime, they exist in their own separate ecosystems and have their separate audiences, because they are different games. Therefore they are not relevant to the subject we were discussing regarding how easy it is to create a substitute for COD in case one platform loses it.

The same goes for any popular title. If any super popular multiplatform title that millions of players are investing huge amounts of playtime, suddenly become an exclusive to one platform, it will affect the purchasing decision of many, and it will be experienced as a significant loss to those that are stack on the platform that lost it. It is not like millions who play Fortnite will start playing Counterstrike, or millions who play COD will go to Overwatch.
Popular franchises with massive audiences affect purchasing decisions because thats what people want to play, and studios cant just pop out substitutes that are equally popular because they said so.

Last edited:
Re the CMA third party calls on the MSFT-ATVI merger:

In an industry of thousands of competitors, only three oppose the acquisition. The vast majority of gamers already recognize it as a win-win for both consumers and competition in the UK. The marketplace wants this deal.

I'm not sure who you quoted, but they've not understood how phase 2 of the CMA investigation relates to phase 1.

Let me put it another way. Further to the many parties consulted in phase one of the CMA's investigation, the second phase sought further evidence from six third parties who are competing in the same markets as Microsoft. Three of the six had concerns, two parties did not have concerns in the context that they didn't feel it would impact them (that is not an assessment on the industry at large), and one party said it was too early to tell.

The CMA only got to phase 2 because of all of the concerns received in phase 1. Phase 2 exists to seek clarification on aspects they feel they need to collect more evidence on.

Oh, Twitter must be down. It was the Activision representative.
Shocking but it's in their interest to present the situation as best they can, including how the CMA (and EU) process got to phase 2.

Exactly like it's in Sony's interest to present it as the absolute worst that they can. It's corporations being corporations.
Absolutely, but I have not seen Sony comment on the process for weeks. I presume their legal team told them to STFU.

At least one-third party in China has expressed its worries about Microsoft's planned $69 billion acquisition of videogame giant Activision.

The third party expressed its concerns to China's antitrust regulator, the State Administration for Market Regulation, according to a Dealreporter item on Friday. The publication previously reported that two Chinese game operators, including Tencent, were supportive of the transaction.

And now China regulator will scrutinize the deal too.

And now China regulator will scrutinize the deal too.

And "The publication previously reported that two Chinese game operators, including Tencent (OTCPK:TCEHY), were supportive of the transaction.".

And "The publication previously reported that two Chinese game operators, including Tencent (OTCPK:TCEHY), were supportive of the transaction.".

This is logic, Tencent is in a run for acquire game company overseas. Funny but netease seems to have buy Quantic Dreams.

This is logic, Tencent is in a run for acquire game company overseas. Funny but netease seems to have buy Quantic Dreams.

It's logical only if you expect big companies to adhere to their own narratives, which I generally don't! ;) I mean, Microsoft supported Epic in court to lobby Apple to drop their 30% AppStore cut but refused to drop their 30% cut on Xbox. This is what I expect of Apple, Google, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony and Tencent.

I don't know why folks have been chattering about NetEase and Quantic Dreams today.
It's definitely been discussed in forums here. I mean it was very unusual in that something happened regarding a French company and there were not riots in Paris. Weird. :yep2:

Back