Metroid Prime

Thanks I found it. It is in glass tunnel right near the elevator to the over world there's one part in the tunnel where the glass isn't lit that's where you need to use a power bomb.

I dunno, I slightly prefer Halo and definitely Tribes1. Metroid is the third best FPS i've ever played.

Something about the excessive colors irrates me, and the control systems leaves me wishing for a keyboard an mouse.

Its not a graphic masterpiece that changes the way things are done (like Doom, Doom3, etc), however the plot and indoor lvl design rival Halflife as the best ever done on a system.

Great care was put into details, and it shows.

It has my vote as GOTY

Well, I finally got around to playing Metroid Prime for about 3 hours and I have to say that it's pretty sweet. With better controls it would have exceeded the Halo single-player experience, but it's still very good. I'll be back with more impressions later if anyone cares. :)

I've been splitting my time equally (every other night) between Splinter Cell and Metroid Prime. Both games have GOTY written all over them, but right now I think I would give the edge to Metroid Prime, which seems less linear.

My current scores: SC - 9.2 MP - 9.3

CaptainHowdy said:
Tagrineth said:
Well, I'd say Metroid Prime gets a 99/100 in my view.

There could've been some kind of indicator (like Metroid 3 and 4) whether there was a missile/pbomb expansion in a room or not... and the lock-on is a bit finicky at times when multiple enemies are too close together.

The Fusion Suit looks pretty darn cool in 3D, unfortunately the 'Phazon' Fusion Suit looks like crap :(

Oh and Hard mode is pretty hard. :eek:

there is an indicator, in super metroid, you would see what is needed by using your morph bombs, and an icon would come up, now you scan the surface, and judge what to use by what it tells you the surface is made of.

Some surfaces don't have scan data but can still be blown up.

I'm talking about on the automap in 3 and 4, any room with an item will have a dot in it on the map (in 4, an open circle which closes when you get the item).

Tagrineth said:
CaptainHowdy said:
Tagrineth said:
Well, I'd say Metroid Prime gets a 99/100 in my view.

There could've been some kind of indicator (like Metroid 3 and 4) whether there was a missile/pbomb expansion in a room or not... and the lock-on is a bit finicky at times when multiple enemies are too close together.

The Fusion Suit looks pretty darn cool in 3D, unfortunately the 'Phazon' Fusion Suit looks like crap :(

Oh and Hard mode is pretty hard. :eek:

there is an indicator, in super metroid, you would see what is needed by using your morph bombs, and an icon would come up, now you scan the surface, and judge what to use by what it tells you the surface is made of.

Some surfaces don't have scan data but can still be blown up.

I'm talking about on the automap in 3 and 4, any room with an item will have a dot in it on the map (in 4, an open circle which closes when you get the item).

then they would not be secrets, that would totally kill the challenge and need for exploration, and thats half the fun

CaptainHowdy said:
then they would not be secrets, that would totally kill the challenge and need for exploration, and thats half the fun

You MUST be joking. Kill the challenge and need for exploration?

Go buy Metroid 3 or 4... and try and get 100%. :p

Well, I beat MP with 160 missiles and most of th' Energy Tanks. 77%, I believe. Decent ending, I'd say.

I'm going back and getting the rest of the stuff I missed, but there is quite a bit it seems. I'm at 87% right now..

Tagrineth said:
CaptainHowdy said:

You MUST be joking. Kill the challenge and need for exploration?

Go buy Metroid 3 or 4... and try and get 100%. :p

beat them both, but MP is a whole new ball game, alerting you to thier presense would ruin it, if it tells you its there, its not really a secret is it, I am glad it did not alert me to them, finding them was thrilling.

Blade said:
Well, I beat MP with 160 missiles and most of th' Energy Tanks. 77%, I believe. Decent ending, I'd say.

I'm going back and getting the rest of the stuff I missed, but there is quite a bit it seems. I'm at 87% right now..

I'm at 49% and I just entered the Phazon mines. Hmmm. I need to beat the game this weekend, or else :p

Ozy: You're on a good pace, I'd say. Just listen for that "item" sound (every item makes a sort of humming sound, as you probably know) if you want a leg-up on th' competition. I went back to Chozo Ruins after beating the game and found no less than 4 Missile Upgrades that I missed! Some of them were ultra-obvious, too.. I just didn't have the proper item (Spider Ball, for example) to access them with. On another note, this is probably the longest 20-hour game I've ever played.. :D

It's so chock full of stuff that I barely remember the first parts of the game now..

Blade said:
Ozy: You're on a good pace, I'd say. Just listen for that "item" sound (every item makes a sort of humming sound, as you probably know) if you want a leg-up on th' competition. I went back to Chozo Ruins after beating the game and found no less than 4 Missile Upgrades that I missed! Some of them were ultra-obvious, too.. I just didn't have the proper item (Spider Ball, for example) to access them with. On another note, this is probably the longest 20-hour game I've ever played.. :D

It's so chock full of stuff that I barely remember the first parts of the game now..

yea, my first time around was finished at 15 hours clocked(more like 20 actual gameplay with dieing and retrying bosses over and over).
I am on my second time through(going for 100% this time), I can go beat the game now If I choose clocked at 9:46, but I am going to explore and find some more secrets first.

Fred said:
Metroid is the third best FPS i've ever played.

Is MP really a fps? I played the demo a little in EB, and noticed there is no strafing and no looking up and down. Seemed like a waste of the right analog stick, imo, although I'm sure that control scheme is very interwoven into the level design.

fbg1 said:
Fred said:
Metroid is the third best FPS i've ever played.

Is MP really a fps? I played the demo a little in EB, and noticed there is no strafing and no looking up and down. Seemed like a waste of the right analog stick, imo, although I'm sure that control scheme is very interwoven into the level design.

no, its not really a fps, its a Platformer from a first person perspective, mainly it is running jumping and shooting, but there is aiming and strafing.

holding the L button lets you strafe, and an enemy is locked on it does a circle strafe around that enemy, aiming is done by holding right button, but I rarely use that, being, its Metroid, you want to shoot a high flying enemy..jump..

IMO, Metroid Prime is not a straight FPS and the controls are near-perfect unless you want the game to be Halo.

BTW, I've got around 25 hours with 94% now. This game is really awesome, even long after I beat it..

Must-buy? Yes. 9.8/10 on IGN? Yes.

97.6% average score out of 22 reviews on GameRankings.com?.. YES! :)

Can I wait any longer for this game?.. NO! :(

How many missiles, power bombs, and Energy tanks are there? I durrently have 160 missiles, 6 bombs, and 13 tanks.

Back