Metroid Prime

mkillio

Regular
Metroid Prime is by far the coolest game I've ever played. It's got great graphics and sound and plays amazingly, although sometimes it would be nice for the duel analogs. I just thought that it deserved its own thread since we tend to talk about it so much in other threads.

Yeah, it's nice to have a thread to talk about it.

I'm loving it. But I feel the same way; that a dual analog would be much nicer. I'm not sure how the game benefits from the lack of one?

90-95% of the time I think the controls work great, it's just when I'm trying to sneek around corners and manually aim at the same time that I have trouble because you can't strafe and manually aim at the same time.
I also think that the transition from the ball back to normal takes to long.

Also I remember some where in this forum how we were talking about whether or not Metroid would sell consoles I believe. Well when I went to pick up my copy at Best Buy I saw this guy looking for it and I started talking to him and he told me he didn't even have a GC yet and that he was buying it for Metroid and he asked for a few suggestions on other titles to buy. He was a stereotypical average, I don't know a good game from a bad game, gamer. He was in his early twenties btw and I just remembered that I forgot to tell him to buy a memory card.

I'm not sure how the game benefits from the lack of one?

If you think about the first real boss fight(the flower guy) swapping between targetting him and the mirrors would be considerably more difficult without the lock on. That said, the inability to at least swap to dual analog has been irritating. Then again, if you switch to dual analog swapping between beam weapons becomes a lot more difficult. Overall my only gripe with the game is the controls, although the more I think about it the more I am at a loss as to how they would have managed it better without losing any finctionality(ignoring auto targetting) over the current setup.

Currently I'm just under 30% complete, the game keeps getting better and better.

dual analog would have killed the gameplay..
if you had never played a FPS before, youd be ok, then you
would not be treating it like one, pretend its mario..and youll be fine..
or better yet, treat it like Metroid.

I'm at 30-31% (just saved after getting the Ice Beam) and the game is great.

Best game on GCN to date, a worthy sequel to Metroid (and prequel to Metroid 2) a system selling game; all of that good stuff! It far eclipses Halo IMHO, albeit the games are only comparable in the sense that they're both first-person.

if you had never played a FPS before, youd be ok, then you
would not be treating it like one

It does impact your influence when you have seen it done better, no arguing that :)

It is from the first person perspective, you do shoot, and the control scheme has shortcomings.

pretend its mario..and youll be fine..
or better yet, treat it like Metroid.

OK, Retro totally destroyed the controls then. It is absolutely impossible to do a wall jump or a screw attack, this is Metroid so there is no excuse for those not to be in.... right? :)

GOTY for sure. Probably the greatest single piece of gaming software ever made. My only gripe so far is the slow morph transition and the save points are far apart. The level design and the overall game design is second to none..as is the atmosphere. And yeas I'd agree with it being the coolest game ever too.

I ran into a guy at BB who had Metroid and Turok E. in both hands, debating on which to get. He looked at me funny at first but I told him there was no contest.."Prime over anything in the store I told him." He looked at me funny..these casual people who dont know a pile of shit from a timeless classic just kill me haha. I'm betting MP hits a million quickly but after that it's up to Nintendo if they would keep running ads and commercials. Since it cam out two days ago i have'nt seen one single GCN game commercial..that's Nintendo for you.

EDIT: Best jumping in a Firstperson game also. Retro needs to get started on a sequal as soon as they get back from vacation.

At the risk of sounding like a troll:

This is no doubt a great game, but I'm absolutely dumbfounded by nearly everyone calling it one of the best games of all time.

The control actually really bothers me, for some weird reason it gives me motion sickness while no other game does, and there's too much backtracking for my tastes.

I'm 28% complete right now, hope to get some more done because it's due back Saturday night.

What's all this talk about fps? I've played some counterstrike pc, timesplitters1-2, redfaction1-2, halo, etc... and i don't have any problems with the metroid control scheme... heck if it weren't for my good memory, i'd think it's the same as those other games.

In other words, some of u guys need to adapt better to different control schemes, etc...

PS: I'd also like to see a 3rd person perspective metroid in the future... if i had the money i'd throw one out myself... don't care if the big N sues me...

I just remembered that I forgot to tell him to buy a memory card.

:eek: :LOL: :eek:

I've played some counterstrike pc, timesplitters1-2, redfaction1-2, halo, etc... and i don't have any problems with the metroid control scheme...

How good are you at FPSs on a normal basis? Out of all the games you list, Counterstrike is the only one I would say had very good controls. You get the hang of typical FPS mechanics down and some of the missing abilities in Metroid become very apparent. Walking in to a room with you gun aimed up when you know there is something on a roof as a general example(my wife is playing right now and just had to get hit a couple times due to the controls, prompting a justified complaint).

In other words, some of u guys need to adapt better to different control schemes, etc...

Tell me how to walk into a room with the gun already aimed up, down or to the side. Adapting and accepting are two different things. I think everyone here is pretty much griping because we can't do what we can in a typical FPS.

PS: I'd also like to see a 3rd person perspective metroid in the future...

Which would solve pretty much all of the compaints ;)

quit simple really, strafe facing into the room and the hit L, and your enemy will be auto targeted, if he is higher, jump and then hit L...

I had it flawless the second I picked it up, had to start over yesterday(because I just wanted to do better), I am currently 60% complete.. any other control scheme would ruin this game, because shooting enemies is only 10% of the gameplay, when you get to some of those crazy puzzles that you hit around 40-50% in, you will appreciate this scheme.

Tell me how to walk into a room with the gun already aimed up, down or to the side.

Actually there is a way to do this. First manually up and then hold down L while still manually aiming and let go of R and it will stay there.

I think everyone here is pretty much griping because we can't do what we can in a typical FPS.

It's also not your typical FPS, and I don't think the controls should be typical either.

mkillio said:
Tell me how to walk into a room with the gun already aimed up, down or to the side.

Actually there is a way to do this. First manually up and then hold down L while still manually aiming and let go of R and it will stay there.

I think everyone here is pretty much griping because we can't do what we can in a typical FPS.

It's also not your typical FPS, and I don't think the controls should be typical either.

Also while aiming up like that, if you un-click L then click it again once you see the enemy, you'll just lock on to it :)

Metroid Prime's controls are VERY geared toward careful use of the lockon function. Even playing through the demo told me that.

I should be getting this game mid-afternoon-ish tomorrow ^_^ YAY!

Thanks for the tip how to aim and walk through a door, it has come in handy quite a few times.

Yeah i just L,A,L,A,L,A when there are several enemies..it works fine.

Early in the game it sure does. The part I'm at right now, it really doesn't as there are too many things I can't lock on to. Even some of the lower level baddies, like the flying space pirates, locking on with the Ice Beam doesn't do a lot of good as they almost always dodge it.

Aiming isn't my big gripe currently with the controls, it's the jumping. One particular area I knew exactly where I had to go, simply making a comparitively(to Mario anyway) small series of jumps, and it took me over an hour to pull it off thanks to a combination of bad design and poor controls for the task. The controls still constitute almost all(really bad design in that one area is the only other grip) of my complaints. The reviewers who commented on the game lacking story must have rushed like hell and skipped out on the story line, I am rather shocked how in depth it is.

when you get to some of those crazy puzzles that you hit around 40-50% in, you will appreciate this scheme.

Percentage complete isn't a good guideline to use, you can beat the game with ~50%. Besides that though, I must have missed the puzzles you are talking about(unless you almost had the game beat without getting much) as none of them have made me appreciate the controls anymore. I've gotten quite used to dealing with them at this point. Overall I think they work, but not having the, at least, option of switching to dual analog is a major pain.

I can honestly say that this game has the best 3d level design of any game I've played. The Master Chief would have killed for environments like these ;)

BenSkywalker said:
Aiming isn't my big gripe currently with the controls, it's the jumping. One particular area I knew exactly where I had to go, simply making a comparitively(to Mario anyway) small series of jumps, and it took me over an hour to pull it off thanks to a combination of bad design and poor controls for the task. The controls still constitute almost all(really bad design in that one area is the only other grip) of my complaints.

Wow. I believe this is the first compliant I have read about the jumping. I think the jumping is excellent. I haven't had too much trouble so far, granted I'm only at 22%. Oh well goes to show that perceptions differ from person to person.

Anyway, I think the controls go along just fine based on the level design and gameplay. Some of the best level design I have seen in a game. This game has a secured a permanent spot in my favorite games of all time spot.

Ozy-

I can honestly say that this game has the best 3d level design of any game I've played.

Overall I'd agree. The one area I had a gripe with was in the ship ruins on Tallon's Overworld(the one you have to jump to the top of a large shaft underwater).

tmdorsey-

I think the jumping is excellent. I haven't had too much trouble so far, granted I'm only at 22%. Oh well goes to show that perceptions differ from person to person.

Errr, wait a bit ;) The one area in particular with a gawd awful jumping series is a decent amount in to the game. The simple jumping around you do early on works pretty much flawlessly. Wait until you are under water(where its dark) in a slanted and skewed shaft and have to land on platforms that are at off angles that you can't actually see while trying to attempt the jump. Enjoyable is certainly not something I would deem it ;)

Back