Metroid Prime

tmdorsey said:
BenSkywalker said:
Aiming isn't my big gripe currently with the controls, it's the jumping. One particular area I knew exactly where I had to go, simply making a comparitively(to Mario anyway) small series of jumps, and it took me over an hour to pull it off thanks to a combination of bad design and poor controls for the task. The controls still constitute almost all(really bad design in that one area is the only other grip) of my complaints.

Wow. I believe this is the first compliant I have read about the jumping. I think the jumping is excellent. I haven't had too much trouble so far, granted I'm only at 22%. Oh well goes to show that perceptions differ from person to person.

Anyway, I think the controls go along just fine based on the level design and gameplay. Some of the best level design I have seen in a game. This game has a secured a permanent spot in my favorite games of all time spot.

22% is far enough to have a feel for it, I just finally beat it, it took me all of 2 minutes to have the controls down, and I found it very comfortable, I dont need to aim, I jump a lot.

Wait until you are under water(where its dark) in a slanted and skewed shaft and have to land on platforms that are at off angles that you can't actually see while trying to attempt the jump. Enjoyable is certainly not something I would deem it

Did you have the gravity suit? When you get it you can see better and jumping is the same as it is on the ground.

BenSkywalker said:
tmdorsey-

I think the jumping is excellent. I haven't had too much trouble so far, granted I'm only at 22%. Oh well goes to show that perceptions differ from person to person.

Errr, wait a bit ;) The one area in particular with a gawd awful jumping series is a decent amount in to the game. The simple jumping around you do early on works pretty much flawlessly. Wait until you are under water(where its dark) in a slanted and skewed shaft and have to land on platforms that are at off angles that you can't actually see while trying to attempt the jump. Enjoyable is certainly not something I would deem it ;)

Ok. I'm at around 35% now and I have been through that area you just described and I didn't have that too much trouble with that part either.

I will say that difficulty is starting to increase though, which is a good thing. This game is so close to perfect it's scary.

What's scary is that MP is these guys' first game (together). For this to have been a collaboration through long distance and alot of turnover with employees and all it was a recipe for disaster but instead from now on in "Best Game Evar!!" threads Metroid Prime will be mentioned among a select few. I wanna make sweet love to the guys at Retro.

I'm not trolling, just bringing up a point that was oft-used when SFA was getting good reviews. Has anyone thought that maybe Nintendo "rescued" it from Retro and nurtured it back to health before publishing it?

Maybe I'm just a jaded gamer, but I find it tough to believe that a little dev house was able to pull off a "Best Game Evar" on their first try, despite internal troubles, without any outside assistance.

I'm not doubting the game's quality, but rather questioning the extent of Ns involvement in the project. Who knows? Maybe they've been playing the Microcode game to selected people again...?

FWIW Retro might have had their share of over publicized problems, but they certainly had the talent and they were given time to turn out a top notch title.
I still haven't played the game yet, but I know some of the team, and I have a great deal of respect for their ability.

BenSkywalker said:
Early in the game it sure does. The part I'm at right now, it really doesn't as there are too many things I can't lock on to. Even some of the lower level baddies, like the flying space pirates, locking on with the Ice Beam doesn't do a lot of good as they almost always dodge it.

Lock on, dodge for a few seconds (preferrably while charging up), and back off a little. The flyer will more than likely start moving toward you - nail it. They can't change direction very quickly.

BenSkywalker said:
Aiming isn't my big gripe currently with the controls, it's the jumping. One particular area I knew exactly where I had to go, simply making a comparitively(to Mario anyway) small series of jumps, and it took me over an hour to pull it off thanks to a combination of bad design and poor controls for the task. The controls still constitute almost all(really bad design in that one area is the only other grip) of my complaints.

My only problem is I can't turn fast enough much of the time :)

I just got the Plasma Beam, so I've been just about everywhere (except the impact crater and the lowest level of the Phazon Mine).

I have had only ONE problem with the jumping, that's judging where Samus's feet are BEFORE actually jumping. Now that I've learned to time my jumps to where her feet are at the ledge I'm jumping from, I only have trouble jumping when enemies are blasting me from above :) But that makes total sense anyway :)

BenSkywalker said:
Overall I think they work, but not having the, at least, option of switching to dual analog is a major pain.

Actually, yeah, an option for DA would be nifty, but I don't see what's so wrong about Prime's controls. The only problem with them AT ALL is that they aren't dual-analog. For the game's style, they're PERFECT (IMO).

(edit: quotes fixed)

Shigeru Miyamoto has been involved from the start, supervising on some level. I think that this is why Metroid Prime has that "Miyamoto" feel that Zelda has and that Super Metroid didn't have. (not that it made SM any less of a masterpiece)

IGN has also said that Nintendo EAD was brought in well over a year ago to work on the gameplay aspects (as well as music/sounds) while Retro kept working on the engine, graphics and environments among other things.

It's basically just as much a Nintendo game as it is Retro's. I don't see how Retro could be 90% responsible for Metroid Prime considering how uncannily similar it is to Super Metroid and Zelda 64 among other Nintendo classics..

Retro is Nintendo.

It's like wondering how much input Nintendo had on the latest Zelda game. Retro:Nintendo :: EAD:Nintendo.

The only difference is location so maybe Retro:Nintendo :: NST:Nintendo

The fact is it doesn't matter anymore. :)

Well, I'd say Metroid Prime gets a 99/100 in my view.

There could've been some kind of indicator (like Metroid 3 and 4) whether there was a missile/pbomb expansion in a room or not... and the lock-on is a bit finicky at times when multiple enemies are too close together.

The Fusion Suit looks pretty darn cool in 3D, unfortunately the 'Phazon' Fusion Suit looks like crap :(

Oh and Hard mode is pretty hard. :eek:

I'm at the boss of the game now.. (or what I would assume to be the boss.. this is after Ridley..)

He/she/it seems easy on a strategic level, but I keep running out of missiles. I have 150 maximum now.. oh, and somehow, some way I don't have the Ice Beam Combo. I'm going to try and beat it again.. maybe I should just try getting hit less.. :)

It seems like I wasted a ton of missiles too, when the boss's energy stops decreasing when I use combos.

BTW, this is my score for MP. (and all of my other "legal" games that I still have)

You have to pay attention to the colours on its body. Also when it rears back and turns black, STOP SHOOTING.

Yes, the Ice mode is INCREDIBLY frustrating without the Ice Spreader... it's in Magmoor, one of the glass tunnels which you can walk through, the sides are cracked. Power bomb. :)

I did it with 160 missiles, though I did run out toward the last phase.

And I beat the second form wtih 28 energy left! Yay! :LOL:

Tagrineth said:
Well, I'd say Metroid Prime gets a 99/100 in my view.

There could've been some kind of indicator (like Metroid 3 and 4) whether there was a missile/pbomb expansion in a room or not... and the lock-on is a bit finicky at times when multiple enemies are too close together.

The Fusion Suit looks pretty darn cool in 3D, unfortunately the 'Phazon' Fusion Suit looks like crap :(

Oh and Hard mode is pretty hard. :eek:

there is an indicator, in super metroid, you would see what is needed by using your morph bombs, and an icon would come up, now you scan the surface, and judge what to use by what it tells you the surface is made of.

Second form? I got th' boss down to around 15/100 health last time I tried beating it..

I hope that there isn't another form after I "murderize" this boss.

it's in Magmoor, one of the glass tunnels which you can walk through, the sides are cracked. Power bomb.

Glass tunnel? Is there any way that you could find out the name of the room that its in on the map? I'd really appreciate it.

Mkillio: Now that I have the combo, I can't believe that I missed it.

It's in the glass tunnel right next to the "security" room in Magmoor. Y'know how you got to Phendrana the first time?

Yeah, it's on that path or above/below that path.

Blade said:
Second form? I got th' boss down to around 15/100 health last time I tried beating it..

I hope that there isn't another form after I "murderize" this boss.

if your talking about the final boss, yea, there is a second form, its easy to beat if you know how, but its not easy to figure out right away... none of your weapons will hurt it, but you have one that will work at a certain time(and you probally dont know about it)

Back