Metroid Prime 2...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Is anything known about this title so far? If so, what? :)

How hot is it gonna look on the Cube now that Retro really has experience with the hardware? VERY, I bet. :)

(No 'hope they insert teh bUmpm4pp0rz on every surface', replies thank you chap.)

*G*

I don't think it's gonna look that much different from the first one. Obviously they're gonna upgrade the engine but I don't think it's a complete rewrite. But yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see what Retro pulls off. Retro artists rock.

As I've said before, I expect it to look at least roghly comparable to Half Life 2.

All that has been released is some 10 second stopgap footage, so not much is known about it at all.

From the short video the lighting seems to be much improved and there is some cell-outlining going on, similar to what the first one did with the Phazon suit.

I expect it will look great, but if you expect it to look like HL2 your in for a letdown, HL2 is using Pixel Shaders 2.0, when you really pay attention to the movies, the small details on surfaces, you can really begin to appreciate what that brings to the table.

Sorry, I meant to say roughly comparable.

I don't expect PS2.0, but the overall geometry etc should be of similar quality.

i almost finished MP

eventually i stopped at the last boss, firstly i because don't like to retry tens of time and secondly because the path b/w the last savepoint and the boss is very annoying, it should have been closer) and if there is something i don't like in this game, this is the scanning...

i mean it is somewhat fastidious and tedious.

and annoying when you realize you didn't scan something that you can only scan at one particular time :(

i like nintendo for the innovating gameplay they use to bring, but this gimmick (which is also a way to artificially boost the game length) wasn't necessary.

and for MP2 i have nothing to say except that there isn't much to say about it as we only have few seconds of video.
(that maybe were not in-game, maybe even not generated by the GC)

but i expect the better from it !

Bohdy said:
As I've said before, I expect it to look at least roghly comparable to Half Life 2.

huh huh.... ok.... now, maybe it would benefit the game itself if people didn't start hyping it like this ^ ^
sorry guys, but HL2 as a whole will not be reached on this generation of consoles. the game will look amazing, but in a different way.
just like Killzone will look great but in a different way, or Halo2 will look great but in a different way.

Magnum: You do know that you don't have to scan very much? As such, I don't understand how your complaint can be taken seriously...

Its like someone complaining about all the fasinating tidbits of info in in a Looking Glass/Ion Storm game. You don't have to read them, but they are great if you like to know everything.

I don't expect Metroid Prime 2 to look as good as HL2.

Flipper is a very very nice GPU but its no R300/R350/R360.

Flipper is inbetween R100 (Radeon64) and R200 (Radeon 8500)

and GameCube only has 43.12 of memory total
(24 MB main, 3.12 embedded, 16 MB A-RAM)

It's not going to do what PCs with 512 MB to 1 GB of memory do.

with that said, I expect Nintendo's next console and Metroid Prime 3 to blow HL2 out of the water :)

Megadrive1988 said:
with that said, I expect Nintendo's next console and Metroid Prime 3 to blow HL2 out of the water :)

who ever said it will be an FPS??

for all we know they could change "genre" once again, i mean they've done it once, what's stopping them from doing it again?

pretty cool once u put yourself into the perspective really... i mean imagine the beauty of this game put into another "genre".

i put "genre" in quotes because i think the overall "genre" is the same (action-adventure to action-adventure-FPS), however the game dynamics were changed from the SNES to the GC games... see my point?

london-boy said:
Megadrive1988 said:

who ever said it will be an FPS??

for all we know they could change "genre" once again, i mean they've done it once, what's stopping them from doing it again?

pretty cool once u put yourself into the perspective really... i mean imagine the beauty of this game put into another "genre".

i put "genre" in quotes because i think the overall "genre" is the same (action-adventure to action-adventure-FPS), however the game dynamics were changed from the SNES to the GC games... see my point?

I am thinking the same thing as you here, I think personally even with MP2 they are going to bend the gameplay even more.. because lets just think about it, they HAVE to add more abilities.. if that spin attack isnt there a lot of us are going to be let down.

I would hope MP2 would have even more crazy details all over the place, definitely more multitexturing, because most of the stuff we have now is like a shadow or environmental map.

If they can't fit more geometry into the game (because it has to hold two rooms in memory and GC don't have that much RAM), I hope they do more dynamic stuff like particles, volumetric fog, such special effects.

*G*

and GameCube only has 43.12 of memory total
(24 MB main, 3.12 embedded, 16 MB A-RAM)

It's not going to do what PCs with 512 MB to 1 GB of memory do.

PC games in general are huge memory hogs though. Also there's the PC's OS to be taken into account as well, which can often use up a good 60-80MB+ on its own. Basically what I'm saying is games built for consoles generally make FAR better use of memory then PC games.

Not that I expect Metroid Prime 2 to look as good as Half Life 2. I'm just saying that you cannot directly compare ram (or bandwidth, CPU, GPU ect IMO) between consoles and PC's. Console game devs just tend to make much better use of the whole hardware then PC devs. Mostly because they have to make better use of it. After all if their game runs like crap on a console then the game won't sell no matter how good it is. Where as in the PC market if the game runs like crap on some systems, but is great, a lot of those users will just upgrade there PC's. So PC devs don't need to be anywhere near as stringent as they're console based counterparts.

I wouldn't expect to see very many more effects in MP2 than in the first one. I've heard that Retro's engineers have been split, some are working to pretty up MP2 a little and the rest are working on another project. All of the artists and level designes are completely focused on MP2, though.

I would expect the graphical improvements to be similar to the difference between Zelda's Ocarina and Majora's Mask. I wouldn't expect any huge leaps in texture resolution, geometry, or lighting.

I am more concerned about the overall design of the game. I've heard some people say that Retro doesn't want to just re-make MP, in other words they don't want you to start with no real weapons and re-collect them all again. So MP2 may end up being a bit more action-oriented than exploration. This may help address some of the complaints expressed from Western FPS fans, but may disappoint fans of the original game.

I disagree with the complaints about MP1 (you dont have to scan very much for example). But I do agree with the Metroid name being more free from genre than other franchises (well, besides Mario or Megaman who do EVERYTHING).

I know Im about to be beheaded.. but I think it would actually be kinda neat to have a real time Metroid RPG in the same vein as KOTOR. And this from somebody that has been a core fan of Metroid since the beginning.

.. a bit OT, but I'd also like to see Mario as a FPS. Think about jumping around and off wals in a cartoony bump mapped world shooting Goomba's with cartoony mario-ish weapons.

anyway, neither will probably happen.. so I'll settle for MP2 and Mario Tennis. :p

Johnny Awesome said:
I agree completely with Magnum. I didn't bother with killing Metroid Prime either.

Laaaaaaaa-zy. Prime is really easy, once you learn its patterns well enough.

Tag, have you kicked Prime's butt in the Euro version? She's a real bitch there I tell ya grrl. (Then again, so is Ridley, OMFG.)

You have any good tactics that may apply to that bug-ugly ol' spider mama?

*G*

Grall said:
Tag, have you kicked Prime's butt in the Euro version? She's a real bitch there I tell ya grrl. (Then again, so is Ridley, OMFG.)

You have any good tactics that may apply to that bug-ugly ol' spider mama?

*G*

I haven't played the Euro version.

But I'll say this much -

I lost almost exactly two Energy Tanks on the US Hard mode fighting Ridley and Prime. No more than that.

Just learn to dodge quickly, I guess =)

Back