Mesh cases

Anyone had experiences of mesh cases? By that I mean cases like the Aerocool Baydream/Mastige or the XCase Imesh 1. My main question is "what happens to the noise?"

Obviously the amount of ventilation means you should be able to get away with not much active cooling, and that should be able to be extremely quiet, but do you hear more noise from hard drives or graphics card fans and anything else that still generates small amounts of noise? I wouldn't think the mesh would do a very good job of baffling the noise, but I wondered if anyone has any experiences? Are the case temperatures insanely low?

I've got a Baydream and it's got the prerequisites for very good cooling (the included 12cm fans are abit noisy for my taste though). I'm a bit sceptic about hd noise though, if you use the 3.5" placements you need to use some plastic rails and it didn't seem that stable so it may produce some noise.

I haven't started using it yet though. I'm in the middle of cutting two holes in the top so I can fit my second blackice pro (2x12cm radiator) there. I don't like noise in my computers so the noisiest fan will be papst 4412 F/2GLL on a fancontroller. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks or so when I have it all mounted.

I've run a Lian-Li PC-777B, I know it isn't ALL mesh, but the sides are pretty much mesh, the 12cm fans are nearly inadudible (please consider that my normal operating environment is 3 computers on @ once, each with average of 5 fans) but the two things I notice A LOT more are the CPU fan (granted, it's an Intel stock fan, it can get going to 5000 RPM at which point it's loud, one of those big 90MM~ Zalman's should end that (or water cooling, as was mentioned earlier)

The other thing I notice a lot more is the hard drive, I guess if the system sat under a desk or somewhere where it isn't at eye level and 2' away, you might not hear those two as much, otherwise it's nice and quiet.

Back