Memory question

Wildstyle

Newcomer
I have been wondering for awhile now what is the differance between 4T-SRAM and 6T-SRAM memory maybe one of you guys could please tell me thanks for your time 8) .

Whats better out of the 2 memorys what has more bandwidth and stuff like that besides the fact that one is 4T and the other 6T.

Their differences are not about bandwidth. To my understanding, generally 6T-SRAM designs are faster in clocks and tend to have better electrical characteristics. However, it has larger cell size than 4T-SRAM.

4T-SRAM uses 4 transistors and 2 load resistors per SRAM cell. 6T-SRAM uses 6 transistors and no resistors. This gives rise to two major differences:
  • 4T-SRAM cell size is much smaller
  • 4T-SRAM burns a lot of power per cell even when standing idle. This often makes 4T-SRAM practically unusable in actual chip designs.
For some figures that show the difference between 4T-SRAM and 6T-SRAM at the circuit diagram/cell layout level, take a look at page 2 of this PDF. As for clock speed, I would expect 6T-SRAM to be a bit faster due to the PMOS load transistors being able to drive the bitlines better than the load resistors of 4T-SRAM.

Back