Medieval Move: Deadmund's Quest

patsu

Legend
Disappointed that Sorcery is no show in E3. Good thing Engadget has a writeup on Zindagi's next game (They made Sports Champions):

Deadmund does it right: PlayStation Move and 1:1 swordplay, hands-on (video):
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/deadmund-does-it-right-playstation-move-and-1-1-swordplay-hand/

We hit up Sony at E3 2011 to see if Deadmund could out-fence the Jedi in a duel of 1:1 swordplay and on-rails battle. What we found was surprisingly responsive. Deadmund himself runs on a pre-set path, plodding his way through a skeleton-filled barracks automatically. Deadmund's on-screen sword matched our wand-equipped wrist's every move, accurately slicing skeletor wannabes any way we saw fit. Reaching behind our back with the Move controller let us pull a virtual arrow from a quiver, or we could choose to dispatch baddies by flinging throwing stars.

If the on-screen slashfest lagged behind our physical slicing in any significant way, we didn't notice -- we were too busy loving the Move's speedy response time. Faster swings produced "stronger" in-game sword attacks, or farther flying shurikens. Last year at E3, we accused the PlayStation Move of just skirting outside of gimmick-land, but it's hard to argue with 1:1 motion control this responsive. Will Deadmund move Sony's motion lollypop to the front of the gesture control race? Probably not on his own, but it's still great to see this tech at its best.

(Gameplay video in the link)

Would be interesting to compare Move and Wiimote+ use in this game and Skyward Sword. Noticed that the Wii U demo'ed shuriken throwing with the screen controller. Deadmund throws them like Sports Champions' disc golf. Wiimote+ has frisbee throwing too. I wonder if Move require less calibration because of the light ball tracking.

For movement controls, Wiimote and Move need a nunchuck/navcon, which feels awkward IMHO. This game is on-rail. I wonder if Wii U can tracking movement with the new CPU and camera on the pad.

This game is Gladiator+Archery+A more fun Frisbee game. I think I saw dual move so I am pretty sure it will support that mode which is awesome.

Too bad for Sorcery. I am abit dissapointed that they didn't reveal SC2. But this will do. Did they tell us about the ETA for this game ?

Where did you see dual Move footage ? As far as I know, they didn't announce any date. On-rail is ok I guess. Curious to see how Sorcery make combat movement more interesting. Nintendo's nunchuck is more ergonomic and versatile, it's ok to rely on it. The navcon is a lesser invention.

Where did you see dual Move footage ? As far as I know, they didn't announce any date. On-rail is ok I guess. Curious to see how Sorcery make combat movement more interesting. Nintendo's nunchuck is more ergonomic and versatile, it's ok to rely on it. The navcon is a lesser invention.

Maybe I am mistaken, but it was for the bow and arrow part, but even if I am mistaken, I am sure they'll include the option. They have to.

Yeah, I agree with you Navcon is not so good. It sort of work with sharpshooter, but that limit the games. I think free movement can be achieved with dual move better than nav con + move. Maybe games can add some sort of assists like how FPS and dual analog work with assist.

Yeah, noticed the dual wield also. I applaud anything with the Sports Champions mechanic in it, but am worried that not having the choice of events so to speak may hold back the experience if you don't like some parts.

Sorcery wasn't on-rails ! This has those kiddish visuals which aren't cute either. Wish they would have made this with a serious theme, I would have loved it.

Oh ! Damnit all ! Just bring back Sorcery :mad:! I hope it isn't cancelled or anything. Who was making that super duper game? Sony first party?

The last Harry Potter film would be out soon right ? It would be perfect time to cash in somewhat with Sorcery.

For Medieval Move, I don't see anything wrong with it being on rail. Locomotion in games is pretty darn boring unless you're a platformer or racer of somesort. I mean if you look at some of modern games map design, it might as well be on rail.

The last Harry Potter film would be out soon right ? It would be perfect time to cash in somewhat with Sorcery.

For Medieval Move, I don't see anything wrong with it being on rail. Locomotion in games is pretty darn boring unless you're a platformer or racer of somesort. I mean if you look at some of modern games map design, it might as well be on rail.

That , my friend, is truth spoken without any fear :yep2: !

Yeah I am not mistaken check this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXO0QeR0r0

29 seconds into it.

Ok, I see it now. On-rails is more suitable for me to play with my kid. Happy that dual Move gameplay is in. Both are right decisions for this game I believe.

I supposed there are leap-attack moves I can use to change my position (e.g., if I'm cornered). That should alleviate the movement issue partly.

Sorcery wasn't on-rails ! This has those kiddish visuals which aren't cute either. Wish they would have made this with a serious theme, I would have loved it.

Oh ! Damnit all ! Just bring back Sorcery :mad:! I hope it isn't cancelled or anything. Who was making that super duper game? Sony first party?

Yes, would love to see Lights Out version of Sorcery with freedom to roam.

I read on GAF that the game is done by someone else, not Sony. Name escapes me at the moment.

Medieval Moves preview: Sporty skeleton:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/30/medieval-moves-preview/

One of my biggest surprises during PAX Prime 2011 was a game I almost decided not to play.

Time is limited at these events, so when I was presented with a swath of choices at Sony's corner of the show at the nearby Grand Hyatt, I had to be shrewd. Starhawk? Sure! Journey! You bet. Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest? Ehh ...

Boy, am I glad I took a chance on this one, because slashing, guarding and shooting as the diminutive skeleton was some of the most fun I had all weekend.

Looks great but will probably end up, and initially bomb, at 64 Euros.
They need to make these games 29 Euros, plan this from the beginning so they don't exceed development costs and then market multiple of these games at a time.
It could have a lot of success because this game (and others also) looks like an amazing experience.

Cheaper is always good for us !

For Deadmund's Quest, I have some more ideas beside the SP action adventure game.

I'd love to play co-op with my son so he can:

* Beat a war drum using 2 Moves when I fight. The better he performs, the more powerful I'll become.

* When Daddy or him gets locked up in enemy's dungeon, let him rescue me. Use Move to solve simple puzzles by writing the answer down (e.g., a simple math/logic/language/science problem). If Sony wants to, they can reuse the Playstation Home Buzz! game so that I can create my own custom quiz for my son to solve.

* Make them hold a Move controller like a torch so that I can see where he points to. We can either hold hands, or well... he'll probably want me to piggyback him as he holds the torch high. ^_^

* Let him create potions using the Move controller in a cauldron. Schools teach 6 year olds how to make sandwich, pancake mix, etc. themselves anyway.

etc. etc.

So more education-oriented ? Seems like a good idea, also it gives it extra appeal to parents when they have to choose a game for their little ones.

Eh... it's more like learning oriented. What kids learn may not be education related. Ha ha. Parents always want to teach their kids stuff that are not academic. They have much to learn. Sony has the user generated quiz framework up and running anyway (You create the quiz from PC/Mac over the web).

Although Move is a little too bulky for their little hands, I think getting small kids to play with Move to exercise their motor skill is fun too.

Besides, what I mentioned above is not necessarily only for small kids. ^_^
An older girl friend would work too. And we can also play online co-op.

EDIT:
There is much untapped potential in Move. And Sony hasn't really integrated their game services together. They need to deliver on the benefits of "Whole > Sum of its parts" consistently.

EDIT 2: Oh yes, daddy also needs more exercise. But I won't play Zumba (Over my dead body~)

;-)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/21/medieval-moves-deadmunds-quest-strikes-gold/

I am excited to announce that Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest has indeed “gone gold” and is ready to ship to stores on November 15th!

Soon after completing Sports Champions for the PS3, our team was hard at work on this exciting new project. Taking what we had learned from creating a “best in breed” motion control game, we further refined the controls for this fun action-adventure game specifically designed for the PlayStation Move.

Story Mode – The evil Sorcerer Morgrimm has invaded Prince Edmund’s Castle and plots to take over the kingdom, raising an army of skeletons from beyond. Now, let the adventure begin as you battle Morgrimm, and his minions, to restore order to the kingdom!

Battle Mode – Play solo, split-screen, or online in three distinct game types. Survive for as long as you can in Invasion, defend the symbol of your kingdom against Morgrimm’s army in Royal Guard, or conjure up minions to attack your opponent in Cauldron Chaos.

Game Features:
Seamless PlayStation Move gameplay, full 3D support, optional dual controller combat, fantastic musical score as well as plenty of fun character unlockables and weapon upgrades to aid you in your epic battles!

Will there be online co-op or multi play with this one ?

I hope they offer a demo, so I don't buy blind. I tried Ape Escape demo, didn't like that one unfortunately.

Battle Mode sounds interesting, more so to me than the campaign which seems a little to kiddy (but the PS3 does need that) ButI almost have to have this just for the gameplay, after Sports Champions being one of my games of the year last year. May try to play it on a hard difficulty if it has that, and otherwise hope Battle Mode is cool. And will definitely dual wield. ;)

Will there be online co-op or multi play with this one ?

I hope they offer a demo, so I don't buy blind. I tried Ape Escape demo, didn't like that one unfortunately.

This line here

Battle Mode – Play solo, split-screen, or online in three distinct game types. Survive for as long as you can in Invasion, defend the symbol of your kingdom against Morgrimm’s army in Royal Guard, or conjure up minions to attack your opponent in Cauldron Chaos.

should imply online co-op.

It's a must buy for me. Will post my impression.

Back