MAG

[river dance in room]

There is no way in hell I will miss this beta.

EDIT:
That’s not all, of course, as we have plenty of other surprises in store for the new MAG Beta program that we haven’t mentioned yet — like the beta’s ability to support multiple character slots so that players can check out each PMC — but some things are best left for you to discover on your own.

I just realized that if they give us multiple character slots, we can balance out the matchmaking in different game modes. If there are too many Ravens, I don't mind going over to Valor or SVER to accelerate match making.

Wow, the mode requires people from all 3 factions.

I think the multiple-character slot feature will be very useful since people can self-balance the player count across the factions any time.

The new Escalation mode will defeat the mechanism though.

I wouldn't mind if the game allows Sabotage players to join other game modes from time to time ("Call for support/backup !").

http://blog.mag.com/blog/

More on character customization this time.

Especially important is the fact that weapons and gear are no longer unlocked via the skill tree, because they are now unlocked via your character?s level and Currency Points. Once characters have achieved the level necessary to unlock a weapon or gear item, that item is then made available for purchase in the ?Supply Depot.?

This sounds like a potentiality horrible idea. At least with the current skilltree I can decide where I want to spend my skillpoints first. Letting me plan ahead to get the equipment I value the most as soon as possible. I don't want feel like I'm dragging down the team any longer then I have to.

Hmm.. the skill trees will still be there right ?

Now that I have adjusted to US time zone, I stayed up playing MAG again. XD

So this has quietly become the first big shooter to support the Move controller right? Interesting ... ! This may draw me into the fight ...

Yeah, but Zipper should apply it to Move's overall gameplay, not only moving, aiming and shooting.

If I get to touch my PS3, I usually play this game between PST 10:00pm and 2:00am or so with the Yuropeans and Asians.

One bad thing I heard is the beta next week may have limited space.

According to GAF, MAG beta is up. You need to search the PSN explicitly. It may not be on the "New Releases" page yet.

EDIT: It's up on the "New Releases" page now.

The beta has 2 sessions everyday. You can play it anytime. The schedule is in the beta MoTD screen.

MAG beta + PS Move tests:

Calibration:

How *NOT* to do Move UI:

It's a lot easier to press the down button on DS3. The hand motion is completely unnecessary.

(Bad) gameplay video:
(Start @ 6:58)

I think it uses a similar control scheme as Socom 4. It will take time to get used to.

It's bad for throwing grenade since the view will shift up when I aim high.

Will still give it a try since MAG is my fave shooter at the moment.

LOL @ that second video. The beta even comes with instructions on how to use the Move controller. Apparently your not supposed to slam your furniture or other people's faces with it. :rolleyes:

The old beta bug is back. The download from the server is stuck at 99% again. Last time it would sometimes download the last 1% by restarting the download a bunch of times. I've been trying that for now.

The old beta bug is back. The download from the server is stuck at 99% again. Last time it would sometimes download the last 1% by restarting the download a bunch of times. I've been trying that for now.

Me 2, still stuck at 907.12 and 907.62 :/

And I just dont get why playing FPS with move is a good idea :) Still I'll probably give it a go when I get a controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/expand-your-mag-army-on-august-31/

From August 31 forward, two additional slots will appear on the character log-in screen with links to the PlayStation Store. For $0.99 (US) per additional slot, you can click the space of your choice and unlock the extra character. Your new subscription will last for 30 days from the day you purchased it, giving you a full month to try out your extra warrior. And don’t worry if you don’t renew one month, and decide to come back later – even if you don’t use your additional characters from month to month, he is never actually deleted – just asleep until you come back to claim him again in a future subscription.

Note: Though the two additional character slots will appear in North America on August 31, the characters themselves may not be immediately available for purchase until later in the day following the normal PlayStation Store update.

EDIT: Hmm... there seems to be more Valor than Raven and SVER in the beta.

I played one round before getting on with life.

The new credits, skill tree, and weapon shopping systems are more open ended and flexible. I think the old skill tree limits growth. So this is probably a good change.

They should update the weapon attachment descriptions in the store. Right now, I have no idea what attachments are available for a weapon. Will end up buying the wrong items.

It seems that the gunplay changed a little. I have not developed my loadout yet. Played with the default equipments. The assault rifle feels like a toy gun, after playing with the light machine gun for so long.

I heard a teammate commented that he likes the new handling.

Everyone was playing Acquisition or Domination. I didn't see anyone in the new game modes.

Thank god this is just as beta. IMO it's currently a big step backwards.

The difference between level 1 and level 70 is bigger then ever. All the weapons and equipment are unlocked by level and seem to be randomly spread out over them. The ATAC I could previously have at 6 skillpoints is now only available at level 34. The more powerful battle rifle on the other hand is already available to me. The level requirements should be massively reduced if you ask me.

The new skilltree's add loads of new skills to buy, and often do it by taking away something you previously had by default. Running for example is slower now then it was before. But you can upgrade in 3 steps, with the last one letting you run at ridiculous speeds. Removing the skilltree's altogether would be the best thing to ever happen to MAG IMO. No huge gap in ability between levels. No more spending point just to get your weapons and equipment to work properly. The loadout will balance what players can carry, there is no need for these skilltree's. The game is about teamwork after all, not one-man-army's that have to everything themselves because their teams upgrade's, weapons, equipment, still need to be unlocked.

The rocketlauncher now fires rockets upwards before they start to drop again. So you can't accurate aim by using the horizontal lines as distance.

Argh... you're right. I haven't played with the skill tree. Gaffers are complaining about point wastage on low end capabilities, but IMHO, the gap disadvantage you mention is a bigger killer.

Have you posted your feedback on the official forum ?

Either remove them or may be make them useful for teamwork !

Back