MAG

Argh... you're right. I haven't played with the skill tree. Gaffers are complaining about point wastage on low end capabilities, but IMHO, the gap disadvantage you mention is a bigger killer.

Have you posted your feedback on the official forum ?

Either remove them or may be make them useful for teamwork !

I haven't yet posted anything on the beta on the MAG forums. The PS3 webbrowser and the MAG forums don't get along too well. But I'm seeing similar complains. Although I'm not sure if they would agree with something as drastic as removing the skilltree's completely.

Been away from the scene...so can anyone tell me wth is this MAG beta ?

It's a beta for the new gamemode Escalation, (which we'll have to pay for when it's released) and a new economy system and skilltree's, which replace the old skilltree when it's released. (For free of course.)

If you want to try out the beta, it's available to everyone that has a copy of MAG. And you can download it from the PSN store.

I didn't see anyone playing Escalation when I joined the queue. I see Gaffers talking about the new mode. Can you get in ?

The more I think about it, the more I believe the skill tree should be revamped/removed. The weapon store is nice. May be the skills should open up new store areas, and that's it. This should keep the old structure, but make it more open.

Everything else should rely on the player's skills, wit, and/or team play. [size=-2]I think.[/size]

I've played Escalation once now. The times it's available don't seem to line up with my free time too well. The map I played was very open, good for snipers. It's a very simple gamemode, just hold to a few objectives until the time runs out. There are no secondary objectives, not much sense for any of the leaders to call out specific orders to make a somewhat organised attack. I would say it's very unlike MAG, but then again we are getting more and more of these modes. Acquisition and Domination are more like the original concept of MAG. Meanwhile Suppression, Sabotage, Interdiction and now Escalation, are more like gamemodes you find in other games with just bigger numbers. On one side you could say this is for the better because the whole command structure and secondary objectives were lost on most players. But on the other hand you lose what made MAG special. I wonder which direction Zipper is heading in. I know I would prefer more gamemodes like Acquisition and Domination.

Acquisition and Sabotage for me. Domination is too big/overwhelming. I go there only when GAF clan is playing.

Sabotage is more manageable than Acquisition and Domination for first timers. The major missing elements are the interactive military field assets (e.g., Sensor Array, Depot, AA, Arti, etc.).

I still can't get into Escalation yet, due to my schedule.

(Bad) gameplay video:
(Start @ 6:58)

I think it uses a similar control scheme as Socom 4. It will take time to get used to.

It's bad for throwing grenade since the view will shift up when I aim high.

Will still give it a try since MAG is my fave shooter at the moment.

I think the implementation is better than SOCOM4 here. It seems to blend well with MAG. Socom demo looked like the Wii remote reticle jumping around on the screen, but this seems a much smoother implementation.

Is the best WII shooter jumpy ? It may be a game issue, rather than a Wii problem.

From what I gather, we have 3 samples now ?

KZ3 - The cursor can move all over the screen (Super large bounding box)

Socom 4 - Medium sized bounding box

MAG - Small bounding box

How about one with no bounding box ? What does the light gun game use ?

Actually MAG has customisation options for the bounding box size and turning speeds I think. There's some youtubes out there with guys talking about having changed their settings etc.

Is the best WII shooter jumpy ? It may be a game issue, rather than a Wii problem.
Well I'll consider Metroid Prime to be the best Wii shooter & its borderline perfect. The Conduit is the Wii game with most customizable controls & the shooting due to this very thing works like a charm but I find it hard to control due to the nature of game requiring a lot of movements at the same time. Also my hands start to fatigue if I play most Wii shooters for more than an hour with motion controls.

How about one with no bounding box ? What does the light gun game use ?
Believe me...you won't want to try out a shooter with "fixed" aim, it will give you nausea/headache & make it ultra hard for you to play the game cause while using a motion controller your hands are never steady, so if you have a "Fixed" aim then your character will keep changing his view angle every micro second.

Last edited by a moderator:
... make it ultra hard for you to play the game cause while using a motion controller your hands are never steady, so if you have a "Fixed" aim then your character will keep changing his view angle every micro second.
You'd filter that high frequency noise out.

But then won't negating that make it harder for you to do fine/precise movements & thereby making the game feel laggy ?

Yes, to a degree. You'd have to balance it out. But TBH I'm not a fan of the idea of full-aim anyway, prefering move targeting and not Move looking. Another reason why a nub would've been great on Move - you could dual-thumb move and look just like DualShock, and then stop and aim with Move. i dare say some amazing gamers would be able to move, look, and aim simultaneously.

Believe me...you won't want to try out a shooter with "fixed" aim, it will give you nausea/headache & make it ultra hard for you to play the game cause while using a motion controller your hands are never steady, so if you have a "Fixed" aim then your character will keep changing his view angle every micro second.

Yes, to a degree. You'd have to balance it out. But TBH I'm not a fan of the idea of full-aim anyway, prefering move targeting and not Move looking. Another reason why a nub would've been great on Move - you could dual-thumb move and look just like DualShock, and then stop and aim with Move. i dare say some amazing gamers would be able to move, look, and aim simultaneously.

Yeah, on hind sight, I prefer a stick on the motion controller. I can use it like a DS3 or a Wiimote+. I won't use the stick together with the swing. When I am tired, I can switch to lazy mode instantly. The stick design should help to stabilize fine movement. I may get a 3rd. party controller if they can fit in a stick/nub with a pressure sensor somehow.

The light ball can replace rumble if I don't want the latter to ruin my aim. It's really SIXAXIS, DS3, Move in one.

I just played the RUSE demo, and the first thing I though of was this is how MAG should play, only zooming in to a shooter rather than staying out in tactical view. If anyone again attempts what MAG attempted, they need to have this high-level view with zoom, and to have players be a part of the larger tactical war. They could see objectives on the map, the surrounding scenery, could wait for other players before spawning and choose which spawn-point, so new players could form more structured pushes. "Ahh, there's a fair few people waiting at spawn-point 3. I'll join them." you'd then add tactical points to capture en route to the main objectives to secure other respawn points. You could also add things like the main commanding specifying the types of troops he wants in a squad and having players joining that squad (switchable in game on respawn) choosing who they'll be, which would ensure the right balance ot meet the objective if the leader picks intelligently.

Overall, this would solve a lot of MAG's issues I think, and actually make it the game it was trying to be. Anyhow, just grab a copy of the RUSE demo off PSN and play it imagining you could spawn into combat as a soldier and fight in first-person, and see if what I'm suggesting makes sense.

Yes ! This is what I meant when we talked about adding tools to help coordinate battle. Use the spawn screen and map. Use Move to enhance communication (deploy troops, fire smoke signal, in-game gesture to direct teammates, etc). The intelligence, command, and control are as important as the combat.

Socom 4 seems to have the right idea in that respect (point out the route with the move for your squad mates to take by drawing it into the scenery), so who knows where they'll take this if they can get enough players in and don't give up on it.

Yes, yes. :yes: I was also wondering about turning MAG into the LBP of shooters. They have all the interactive props/assets. If they add user direction, they might as well add user defined objectives and even layout changes.

Back