Lots of infighting in company, looks like Big Brother house

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
There has been several nasty messages, which have been circulating within the company's inbox.
I can post all the e-mails with modified names and so forth.

This is just between 2 people, however the problem is more wide spread.
Under such situations, what can I as the company secretary do?

Anyway here is a transcript:
Bold writing = quote from previous e-mail.

I normally don't like to stir the pot, However this has sparked my
> attention.

> Referring back to my notes from previous meetings and phone
> conversations with you I can confidently say that you were the
> person responsible for making the alternations for the product
> proposal. Below is a description of times and events that relate to the completion of the product proposal
> alterations that you
> were responsible for.
>
>
>
> >From MY memories of last weeks meeting I made sure to mention
> that J_AY
> is waiting for a final revision of the text required on the
> proposal and
> then as a final resort of going into word/powerpoint etc etc etc.
>
> I remember this as it was stemmed directly from the near 5 min
> discussion on what program edits .png files and what are
> alternatives to
> that format.
>
> Now forgive me if I was talking to myself however I remember
> reaching a
> general consensus(With at least the majority of the group) that the
> updates in text were to be given to J_AY were he can work his
> graphical magic and put the text in which was to be supplied by a
> group member, I
> forget specifically who however, I can confidently say that it was
> neither J_AY or myself who were to supply the text.
>
> So unless my ears need a good cleaning then there's something going
> drastically wrong.
>
> This issue has not been ignored as I
> have constantly tried to make contact with you to resolve this issue. Therefore in
> Monday's meeting the team decided to retype the
> contents from scratch in a format that most team members could work with and understand.
>
> I know too well that this issue hasn't been ignored, I was enjoying
> lunch with J_AY and my business partner (Tue, 11 Jul 2006), and
> every 5
> minutes I would hear the sound of J_AY's phone vibrating after he told you that he was busy for the next few hours(Great way to enjoy a lunch)
> The only thing wrong with you version was that you were the only
> person able to make the changes as most people were unfamiliar
> with the program you were using.
>
> Photoshop is the most widely used graphical editing suite in
business.
> Every professional graphics developer I know uses photoshop.

Make sure everyone has an agenda before meetings so that everyone is prepared, no one has excuses to not be able to have answers ready, and the meeting time is well spent. Make agreed decisions, don't let people leave thinking things were decided differently.

Minute your meetings properly (with actions) so you don't get into the above "everyone remembers it differently" situation and distribute them quickly. This way you don't spend time bickering instead of working. Ensure when tasks are not completed they are noted on the minutes.

Teach people time management and workflow skills. Make sure they know the difference between "urgent" and "important".

If people need training to do new tasks, train them.

Discipline staff who don't do their work (either because they are lazy or incompetent), up to and including sacking them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips BZB.
Unfortunately people don't read my minutes.

I use my own minutes as a reminder of work, that's how seriously I take my minutes but other people don't really look at it, minus a small few.
Personally I never want to run a business.
After our company becomes liquidated in October then I'm pretty much finished with business.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Thanks for the tips BZB.
Unfortunately people don't read my minutes.

I use my own minutes as a reminder of work, that's how seriously I take my minutes but other people don't really look at it, minus a small few.
Personally I never want to run a business.
After our company becomes liquidated in October then I'm pretty much finished with business.
Minutes are so that everyone has a note of what was agreed and are the basis for the next meeting. They are also the basis for what work/projects needs to be done by various teams, departments, etc.

If you take minutes and pass them out, then you can point to them and say "look, this is what everyone decided and what was agreed to, and you didn't do the work you were supposed to do". If people are not acting upon their agreed action points, then you start to discipline them because they are not doing their work.

Without some way of making decisions, and then tracking those decisions through to completion, there's no way any significantly sized group can accomplish anything. Everyone is pulling in different directions, and that is why you find youself in the position you are in. All the bickering you are doing is proving the point that you can spend more time managing the communications and relationships between team members than actually doing the work you are trying to accomplish. All this happens because you are not working together, but are off doing your own things.

You have to be aware than in most groups, there are basically two sorts of people - those that are there to do things and get things accomplished, and those that are there to take the paycheck and do as little as possible. You want to get as many of the former as possible and get rid of the latter as soon as you can.

Back