Lost Planet - Interview

TheChefO said:
Quite a statement considering the experience this game is presenting so far.
I don't know about the experience, but the engine is not a prowess of engineering, therefore it's not hard to expect a lot more from X360 games than what Lost Planet showed thus far.

OT but I wonder, the 360 presents such massive amount of framebuffer bandwidth even compared to PC cards, that I wonder if anybody knows what to expect of it in the future?

If you code right it could be like unlimited framebuffer bandwidth (as ERP says it's such that it's never the bottleneck).

If you consider the FB bandwidth at 256 GB/s versus current top PC cards at ~50GB/s..

I'm not saying this WILL result in great improvement down the line, just wondering if anybody knows what to expect with such unfettered bandwidth..

Yes I know the PS2 had a crapload for the time too before anybody brings that up in the next comment..

I agree Lost Planet's graphics are slightly overrated. I think the first wave of 360 games save for a few just left a lot to improve on.

I'd say the leap from a generic first wave 360 title to Lost Planet is only about as big as the leap from Lost Planet to games like Gears of War..

Eurogamer: What kind of multiplayer modes will Lost Planet have?

Keiji Inafune: Currently we're working on multiplayer modes so there are a lot of areas we haven't quite determined yet. That being said, our current goal is 32 people online at the same time. Well, that's my goal. The team keeps saying 16's more realistic, but I keep telling them to do 32. A lot of it'll be determined in the next few months, but we know we'll do the standard set of modes, and we'd like things like different factions of snow pirates fighting each other, with a kill-all mode, a territorial mode - and that'll obviously be slightly different to other similar games because colder, windier territories are going to be tougher to keep hold of because of the way they use up fuel. There'll be strategy to it. And of course you'll be fighting over the robots. We'll have people leaping into robots, and the guys outside reacting by ripping the weapons off the side of it and using them against it. There's a lot of potential and obviously we're going to try and exploit it all.

Multiplayer sounds new and interesting, hopefully they can pull it off.

Hardknock said:
Multiplayer sounds new and interesting, hopefully they can pull it off.

wow

between this and Gears of War multiplayer, I may be permanently attached to Xbox Live. :cool:

scooby_dooby said:
I think he just looked at GOW and said.."Damn, that's about 40% better than our game!"

To me it is quite the oppsite, Gow is all about the faked normal mapping detail, while lost planet use real hi poligonal models, very hi res textures, and a lot better animations.

It also have a lot more complex and interesting art desing, story and gameplay element.

I'm intrigued by this game. The demo was pretty good and although I haven't liked much from Capcom in years aside from RE4, this one has me keeping an eye on it.

supervegeta said:
To me it is quite the oppsite, Gow is all about the faked normal mapping detail, while lost planet use real hi poligonal models, very hi res textures, and a lot better animations.

It also have a lot more complex and interesting art desing, story and gameplay element.

That Infuane guy said it himself, when talking about GOW he said it's amazing, and his team wants to know what they're doing and how they're doing it. He was obviously extremely impressed. The textures in LP are not that great, and neither are the models all that hi-poly not sure what you're talking about really and the animation is average at best, like a poor man's GRAW.

scooby_dooby said:
That Infuane guy said it himself, when talking about GOW he said it's amazing, and his team wants to know what they're doing and how they're doing it. He was obviously extremely impressed. The textures in LP are not that great, and neither are the models all that hi-poly not sure what you're talking about really and the animation is average at best, like a poor man's GRAW.

Sorry but the screenshots tell another story.

The texture in lost planet are one of the best ever seen on a game on the xbox360 , same goes for the model and the animation, the animation are one of the worst thing in gear of wars.

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1369/full-res/1140223372.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1369/full-res/1145036145.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1369/full-res/1140223227.jpg

Oh and i perfectly know what he said , but i am glad that they don't have used the normal mapped way to fake detail instead of using real hi poligonal detail .

Last edited by a moderator:
supervegeta said:
This is the only one that is not 720p but despite the resolution looks exactly what the demo looks.
There was a second image at uber-Res too, which you've swapped out. But yeah, checking other sources it does look like the game has got this high IQ, which is really nice. And I liked the anims of the trailer too, so it must be an impressive game in the flesh.

Shifty Geezer said:
There was a second image at uber-Res too, which you've swapped out. But yeah, checking other sources it does look like the game has got this high IQ, which is really nice. And I liked the anims of the trailer too, so it must be an impressive game in the flesh.

it really is

with as much hyperbole that we toss around in these threads, it's hard to know what's what but having seen it first hand in HD, it really lives up to some of our expectations.

At least compared to existing next gen games, this one looks very nice in person.

I have actually played the Lost Planet Demo, probably the best demo on XBL, a lot of nice gameplay mechanics and it looks very nice but while I can't say I have pored over side by side shots the screenshots appear to me to be slightly spruced up Game-Engine shots rather than gameplay. I get the same impression when I look at MotoGP Screenshots on the web then jump into it's demo. That might not be a completely fair comparison though as I think the Lost Planet Demo was a good bit off a final build.

those screeens show nothing that impressive as far as texture quality goes, and i'm mostly judging by the demo whic his nice, but sick explosions and great motion blur mask what are otherwise fairly average GFX imo.

sonyps35 said:
OT but I wonder, the 360 presents such massive amount of framebuffer bandwidth even compared to PC cards, that I wonder if anybody knows what to expect of it in the future?

If you code right it could be like unlimited framebuffer bandwidth (as ERP says it's such that it's never the bottleneck).

If you consider the FB bandwidth at 256 GB/s versus current top PC cards at ~50GB/s..

I'm not saying this WILL result in great improvement down the line, just wondering if anybody knows what to expect with such unfettered bandwidth..
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done with this bandwidth compared to high end PC cards. Once you throw in Z-compression and, with AA, add in colour compression, 50GB/s on the top PC cards is enough that even the most contrived examples would probably only run 30% faster on 360 at best. So don't expect anything new enabled by the eDRAM that we haven't seen on the PC before.

That's still impressive, though. I would expect blending effects like smoke and fire to run quite well on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
those screeens show nothing that impressive as far as texture quality goes, and i'm mostly judging by the demo whic his nice, but sick explosions and great motion blur mask what are otherwise fairly average GFX imo.

Agreed - not the best I've seen on 360. But certainly isn't ugly. I consider it one of the most polished full fledged games that I've played on 360, especially considering it's demo state.

yes, every game on X360 should look at least that good. It's not like the best of X360 but still is what i expect to see.

Back