Lost Odysee Screens

Nope, watch the trailer at XBoxyde, in the final 5 seconds it transitions to realtime, that shot of Kaim is realtime right before it enter battle mode, the facial shot looks like CG.

As for the fighting engine, it's been described as very similar to FF12.
Yep, I already admitted being wrong.. like several posts ago.
Yep, the gameplay is hard to judge from a video, but as it is in the demo, it does look boring. That doesn't tell much of the finished product though. AS the demo and video is all we have now I still stand behind what I said of it (the gameplay).

It could as well be "like FFXII", still I doubt it is just like FFXII.
Just having a similar menu structure to select battle commands doesn't automatically make the battles exciting.

Yep, I already admitted being wrong.. like several posts ago.
Yep, the gameplay is hard to judge from a video, but as it is in the demo, it does look boring. That doesn't tell much of the finished product though. AS the demo and video is all we have now I still stand behind what I said of it (the gameplay).

It could as well be "like FFXII", still I doubt it is just like FFXII.
Just having a similar menu structure to select battle commands doesn't automatically make the battles exciting.

Boy, you sure are negative when it comes to 360 stuff. Che played it, he desribed it very much like FF12's new battle system plus some cool features like absorbing the skills of your fallen party members when they die...permanently.

I've never played FF12, but apparently it's a pretty cool system no? I've heard it described as semi-realtime, is it anything like KOTOR?

Edit - Just watch the first half of the gameplay trailer, is indeed very basic but that's what I expected when Sakaguchi said it would be extremely basic last week, the finishing move on the giant machine is just awesome though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you honestly believe Sakaguchi the creator of FF is going to create a game with boring and unexciting battles? Come on now.

Not to mention that Blue Dragon's battles are awesome, I would expect atleast the same from this one aswell.

Boy, you sure are negative when it comes to 360 stuff. Che played it, he desribed it very much like FF12's new battle system plus some cool features like absorbing the skills of your fallen party members when they die...permanently.

I've never played FF12, but apparently it's a pretty cool system no? I've heard it described as semi-realtime, is it anything like KOTOR?

Edit - Just watch the first half of the gameplay trailer, is indeed very basic but that's what I expected when Sakaguchi said it would be extremely basic last week, the finishing move on the giant machine is just awesome though.

I've played FF12 and the battle systems are nothing a like at least from what i can see from the footage we have so far.

FF12 is semi real time , but LO looks to be plain old school turn based. (which i don't consider to be a bad thing at all)

Turn based JRPG's are nuturious for starting off slow and boring, they don't get intresting until you start to rack up party members, spells, skills and abilities.

Look at FF10 at the beginning of the game that was very similar to the kind of battle LO has shown us so far.

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the demo plays out as there is another 50 mins or so after this.

Well, the demo is lacking two important battle features. 'Growth' (Which I can imagine to be like leveling) and 'Control-able'..Which I'm not sure what it is. The final game wil also have proper physics.

...and the game is like 8 months away...

I'm not sure wheather to be happy or saddened:cry:

I think this game looks absolutely wonderful. Some people have been complaining about how dull it is which I can see where they're coming from since the showcase of the game was essentially CG vid and in game battle but with the person just hitting attack over and over (also the dull grey colors didn't help).

I think everyone will be surprised when we see more bright areas and the full battle system in place.

Also, when he says "Growing" maybe he means, instead of leveling up after every battle (or growing) that you actually gain some sort of experience on the fly (meaning within fights). Certain actions or enemies give you experience points but you don't have to wait till after the battle to reap the benefits?

It would definitely go with the transitional angle that Mistwalker is trying to go with (in terms of transitioning to and from Battles). Instead of getting conformation at the end of the battle of the things you've gotten (items and experience), it just transitions back to exploring (and vice versa)...

Do you honestly believe Sakaguchi the creator of FF is going to create a game with boring and unexciting battles? Come on now.

Not to mention that Blue Dragon's battles are awesome, I would expect atleast the same from this one aswell.

Is it on PS3? No? Then it is obviously going to suck.

edit: for anyone that doubted the seriousness of this post :D

I hope to god the battles are more exciting then what they showed and Blue Dragon's battles weren't that impressive to me.

The engine movie where the hero fights and stabs that war machine is simply amazing. Graphically this game is on par with anything we've seen from FFXIII or any other nextgen title...

Did anyone see this?

Apparently Sagakuchi is waiting for Epic to send software libraries of UE3 for Lost Odyssey and the game in its current form including the demo is only running on one core as a result. This is also the reason that most of the physics has not been implemented in the game. According to him the situation is similiar to 10Tacle studios who are developing Elveon as they are also running on just one core on the 360 and waiting for UE3 libraries so they can shift it to the other 2 cores and run physics."

LO running on one core at the moment and it already looks like that... scary...

(Thanks to our good old jvd)

My analysis of the 10-minute video:

The introduction is pre-rendered all the way up to the last camera spin before the hud comes up. A drop in lighting quality and model detail is visible. The next part is in-game and varies in visual quality depending on the scene. An high-quality LOD system is implemented, so the game looks very close to the CGI during some of the combat. In fact I suspect that the game models at their highest LOD are being used in the pre-rendered sections to make the look more consistent. The game goes into CGI again when the volcano falls from the sky (how odd).

In fact I suspect that the game models at their highest LOD are being used in the pre-rendered sections to make the look more consistent. The game goes into CGI again when the volcano falls from the sky (how odd).

I thought the 'stab' sequence was CGI until I realized the difference between the real-time models shoulder armor and the CGI ones.
(EDIT: also the fact that anything real-time runs in 30 fps instead of the CGI's 60)

Sakaguchi is very successfully blurring the line between CGI and real time visuals.

I can't wait to see how the exploration and the environments look..that glimpse at the end (when the textures popped in lol) looked fantastic.

Back