Longhorn beta

mkillio

Regular
Is the Longhorn beta 1 still slated for a may/june release and will average consumers be able to get it and will you be able to download it from Microsoft directly?

Nope. MS has pushed back the release to late July.

It's been Feb then March 15 then at WinHEC - April then May then May 25th then June 30th and now late July.

Yup, late July for Beta 1, November for Beta 2.

Beta 1 will only be about 50-60 percent complete but is supposed to be very stable. Beta 2 will have most of the final features and UI included.

All this pushing back on the release date can be looked as a good or bad sign...or both.

Good): They want to realease a real stable BETA and show how much attention there giving to this OS. They reallly want to make an impression with this BETA release.

Bad): Things aren't going right, things are crashing and OH NOOOS!!! the return of the Blue Screen (Didn't really leave us...just reared its head less often). They should really change the color to Mauve....or Hot Pink....but I would probably feel insecure if I got a hot pink screen and my friend walked by... :?

BlueTsunami said:
All this pushing back on the release date can be looked as a good or bad sign...or both.

Good): They want to realease a real stable BETA and show how much attention there giving to this OS. They reallly want to make an impression with this BETA release.

Bad): Things aren't going right, things are crashing and OH NOOOS!!! the return of the Blue Screen (Didn't really leave us...just reared its head less often). They should really change the color to Mauve....or Hot Pink....but I would probably feel insecure if I got a hot pink screen and my friend walked by... :?

funny thing is they usually want A and make B..... ;)

AFAIK DXdiag states WGF 1.0.

K.I.L.E.R.: When you say DRM are you talking about the HD-display protecting MS is putting in?

I've read there is far more than that, although I don't know what they are I would like to know the experience of those who've tried the beta.

Mordenkainen said:

K.I.L.E.R.: When you say DRM are you talking about the HD-display protecting MS is putting in?

hope this helps....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25124

i know it INQ, but it was first thing i could find, there are many sites talking about this issue. i would really like to hear from people that tried beta about this one....

BTW :: i am almost 100% sure that i will either switch to Linux completlly or stay on XP, everything i read about Vista makes me think thats something i REALLY dont want on my comp.

Hm, when should DRM be active? While playing original DVDs or even when playing normal avi/mpegs? I didn't notice any quality difference when watching a movie in divx/xvid.

Mordenkainen said:

Without booting to Vista, my memory is 99.99% sure it states DX9.0c
it also misses several files btw (at least direct sound related)

Kaotik said:
Without booting to Vista, my memory is 99.99% sure it states DX9.0c

I just checked: "DDI Version: WGF 1.0". In comparison my XP system says "DDI Version: 9 (or higher)".

Mordenkainen said:
I just checked: "DDI Version: WGF 1.0". In comparison my XP system says "DDI Version: 9 (or higher)".

Mhm, if you checked it it's hard to say it's not like it, but the overall "DirectX version" still states DX9.0c, doesn't it? :p
at least that's how it's according to what my brains try to tell me, not sure if I should trust 'em though :-|

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw has anyone an idea why there's new default DPI in Longhorn? It's 104 now, while it used to be 90.
Not that it matters much to me, because i'm using 120 in 1280x1024 for quite long time, but i found it interesting.
Might it be because of the Aero theme? Or what other reason could be there for such change (to IMHO weird number).

I've tried it.
Video card acel for the desktop seems to be broken, well atleast with current drivers i.e drawing things is quite slow.
I got some nforce drivers that works for everything pretty much, but sound skips.
It starts up pretty fast, but once you're on the desktop it like will do nothing for a while and then start to load things for a few minutes.
Ram usage is pretty good, with 512 ram just messing around it doesnt page.
At this stage its just fun to mess around with because some things obivously dont work, being beta 1.
Beta 2 on windows xp was pretty much all working so I hope vista beta 2 gets to where msot thing works by beta 2 or 3.
shutdown and reboot doesn't work for me, it goes though the process but doesnt shut of my pc or reboot, it justs goes to a blank screen and I hear my hdds shut down.
I am looking forward to more mature versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back