Loco Roco PSP...pure awesomeness in your hand

Well Nintendo decided to not include a tilt sensor in the DS too for cost reasons but it doesn't seem to affect DS's popularity. I think not including the tilt in PSP was a smart move from an economic perspective. Not many PSP games would benefit from a tilt sensor.
I wasn't talking about including it as standard, but not releasing it as a peripheral. According the Archer MacClean, the tilt sensor was finished and working, and made the 'true' experience of Mercury, yet Sony haven't released it. If they had, PSP would have had a more compelling alternative game experience available and a useful extra for other software.

I wasn't talking about including it as standard, but not releasing it as a peripheral. According the Archer MacClean, the tilt sensor was finished and working, and made the 'true' experience of Mercury, yet Sony haven't released it. If they had, PSP would have had a more compelling alternative game experience available and a useful extra for other software.

Ah..then I would agree they should've released the peripheral by bundling it with the game.

While I was talking about add-on, not built in functionality - I think it's worth discussing it anyway.

Capeta said:
Well Nintendo decided to not include a tilt sensor in the DS too for cost reasons but it doesn't seem to affect DS's popularity.
Nintendo already tacked on a buttload of gimmicky hardware that most definately doesn't make DS cheaper. And by accounts of some people, most of it is the very reason for DSs popularity.

I think not including the tilt in PSP was a smart move from an economic perspective. Not many PSP games would benefit from a tilt sensor.
Not many games benefit from DS built in microphone - but it gives it another competitive differentiation regardless.

Arwin said:
You also have the problem that the screen itself moves with your 'motion control', which could be annoying.
Obviously motion control would have to be implemented a bit differently - if you played Locoroco with tilt, the screen wouldn't need to rotate.

That said, for 'on the go' gaming, I don't think it would be quite such a big succes in, say, a bus or a train.
I could say the same about stylus usage and look at what happened there. And frankly I still think that 90% of stylus usage in NDS games is purely gimmicky - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't miss to have the touch screen for the 10% that isn't.

Shifty Geezer said:
One of the stupidest mistakes by Sony regards the PSP was to fail to release that.
I agree - it was one of the things they could try to separate PSP from "portable PS2" stigma, and they didn't bother.

Nintendo already tacked on a buttload of gimmicky hardware that most definately doesn't make DS cheaper. And by accounts of some people, most of it is the very reason for DSs popularity.

That logic doesn't compute. The DS is popular because of its use of those "gimmicky" features. Just about every DS game uses the stylus/touchscreen and a lot of those games use it fairly well. A tilt feature isn't even in the same functional realm as a touchscreen to think so is pure delusion.

Not many games benefit from DS built in microphone - but it gives it another competitive differentiation regardless.

Again a microphone is in a totally different league than a tilt sensor. Voice recognition and VoIP alone makes it an order of magnitude better than any gimmicky tilt sensor.

Capeta said:
A tilt feature isn't even in the same functional realm as a touchscreen to think so is pure delusion.
One would hope so considering how much more expensive a touch screen is. Though I don't know why we're comparing their function again, all I said was that it would be kind of redundant to DS.

Again a microphone is in a totally different league than a tilt sensor.
I said few games benefit from in meaningful ways - whether those benefits are comparable to tilt doesn't change that.
At any rate, DS cpu is far and away from being useful for voice recognition on interesting level(it can do gimmicky stuff well enough - but I suppose for games there's not much point for more anyway), and voice chat would be relevant if you have compelling online games, which lets face it, neither portable delivers on the level it should (ie. XBox live level). This is another major aspect where Sony dropped the ball to move PSP away from PS2.
But anyway we're way off topic by now.

Back