LittleBigPlanet 3 [PS4]

fully 3d levels means? 3D as in third person go into the level 3D? But they showed the same old 2.5D platforming in all the events.

Can't decide on digital for discless play or Amazon for the better preorder bonus...

I imagine starting a level that I see in the activity feed as recommended by someone else, and then first having to dig out the disc. Yeah. ;)

fully 3d levels means? 3D as in third person go into the level 3D? But they showed the same old 2.5D platforming in all the events.

Apparently it's just more layers, 16 playable instead of the previous 3 now, but that does have the effect of being able to do a lot more apparently 3D stuff:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/12/littlebigplanet-3-new-create-tools-and-features-detailed/

Pre-ordered! Apart from being a big LPB fan myself, I think my kid is going to enjoy the creation tutorials, and that this will provide some nice general learning opportunities. :)

Played the game very briefly last night (unlocked at midnight). Seems really good - the extra layers are great even when only two of them are used - the ability to have a much bigger distance between them gives the image a lot more depth and makes the world easier to navigate. Sackboy definitely controls a bit better too, but if you weren't a fan before, it's not that likely you'll become a fan now.

The PS4 version looks clean. A completely next-gen version rather than cross-gen would have been nice though, as would 60fps. In general though this could well be the best game in the series by some distance, especially with so many more seemingly fun challenge modes and levels that combine crafting and playing. I'll soon give a more detailed impression, trying out if the PS4 works with the Vita as a second screen device, Move controller, etc. In my short playthrough the Camera was already picked up and used, and image quality difference while still not great, definitely stands out versus the old camera, so I can cross that one off the list.

And there's a rumor that someone basically remade Final Fantasy VII with it, that needs to be checked out. ;)

They needed to stick to 30fps to ensure backwards compatibility with the 9(!) million user created levels.

Still a shame though. Sometimes you really need to start from scratch to be able to progress.

They needed to stick to 30fps to ensure backwards compatibility with the 9(!) million user created levels.

Still a shame though. Sometimes you really need to start from scratch to be able to progress.

I don't see how that would be true unless the physics simulation is tied to framerate somehow, which would be weird.

I don't see how that would be true unless the physics simulation is tied to framerate somehow, which would be weird.

It could certainly be the case that they can't run the physics engine in worse-case scenarios in half the time (16ms vs 33ms) required for 60fps. While the engine could decouple physics from screen rendering that may result in the type of judder witnessed in Halo: Combat Evolved on Xbox One.

No it would not. Dark Souls on the PC was set to 30fps for a similar reason. If you forced it to 60fps you could have hit detection issues, clipping, falling through the world. They don't want to have to test their game twice for two different frame rates or potentially break large number of levels.

If Sumo would have aimed for 60 fps they would have only have to test it in that frame rate. They could also have gone the Halo MCC route and run the physics and animation at 30 fps. But I guess this is the same as most other Sony outsourced games (GOW Vita, Jak Collection etc) that you get a mediocre product.

Also, regarding DS2, doesn't that go down to really low frame rates sometimes? Why does the physics engine work at 15 fps but not at 60 (or 120 fps)?

I have had a quick look at create mode. You cab immediately unlock everything which is good. I tried out painting which you can do with touch and with the Move. Touch is more precise, but Move is pretty good too for using brushes that you can turn. I like that you can control pressure on both with the T/L2 button, configurable to size or opacity. Dumped a bit of it to YouTube before I went to bed:

Would have liked a fresh start myself. 8.950.000 of the 9.000.000 levels are utter shite anyway.
That said, I don't really buy the reasoning behind the framerate, especially since LBP2 doesn't feel quite like LBP1 either.

Well, I did play my attempts at levels and ideas from 2008! And they worked just as I remembered them. Including a picture of me from back then. Quite cool.

Just played a few levels using remote play, works quite well with LBP, and it looks really good.

The new layers and layer transition options really add to the game. Could also be fantastic in S3D btw, should they want to go for that.

All the new options, like stores, quest list, many more layers, power ups and the different base characters amount to quite a surprisingly big step forward. It's impressive. The tutorials are a bit more boring - just videos now, but I guess the pop-it challenges make up for this (haven't tried them yet). Voiced characters are nice too.

Back