LittleBigPlanet 3 [PS4]

People are allowed to talk about the beta, and so we're getting a lot more information. And ... wow. It's a much bigger update than I expected!

http://www.gamesradar.com/littlebigplanet-3-beta-shows-9-small-significant-changes/

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/14/little-big-planet-3-content-creator-preview-beta

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/14/6974425/littlebigplanet-3-lbp-preview-gameplay-video

Small summary of the gamesradar piece: biggest thing is being able to create fully 3D levels. Not just more planes, no it actually supports full 3D levels. People are recreating all manner of game-types with this. Lighting has also been improved considerably. Lots of moves have been added - Sackboy can actually climb certain material, there's support for climbing ladders and cargo-nets, etc. Joining levels, bonus missions and narrative have become much easier, environments can be much nicer, you can edit while playing, pause and rewind in play mode, the tutorials are a lot more extensive and fun apparently, etc.

People are allowed to talk about the beta, and so we're getting a lot more information. And ... wow. It's a much bigger update than I expected!

http://www.gamesradar.com/littlebigplanet-3-beta-shows-9-small-significant-changes/

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/14/little-big-planet-3-content-creator-preview-beta

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/14/6974425/littlebigplanet-3-lbp-preview-gameplay-video

Small summary of the gamesradar piece: biggest thing is being able to create fully 3D levels. Not just more planes, no it actually supports full 3D levels. People are recreating all manner of game-types with this. Lighting has also been improved considerably. Lots of moves have been added - Sackboy can actually climb certain material, there's support for climbing ladders and cargo-nets, etc. Joining levels, bonus missions and narrative have become much easier, environments can be much nicer, you can edit while playing, pause and rewind in play mode, the tutorials are a lot more extensive and fun apparently, etc.

Interesting, it's back on my radar (initially I was disapointed there was no 3D) - it looked pretty standard LBP at EGX from what I saw - I plat'd LBP1 but gave up on LBP2 - Vita version is awsome so happy to get a PS4 version

I assumed it will not be 60 fps due to XDEV's and Sumo's history. But if I am wrong, insta-buy for tuna!

I thought it was on the table because it is a PS3 release as well. As Shifty said though the floatiness is part of the physics engine, so the only way that will change is through modifiers on the game world (more gravity, heavier sack boy etc)

I thought it was on the table because it is a PS3 release as well. As Shifty said though the floatiness is part of the physics engine, so the only way that will change is through modifiers on the game world (more gravity, heavier sack boy etc)
Actually, having a mechanic where you can alter the filling of sack boy and his buddies could be quite interesting :yep2:

These games are understated masterpieces. I never particularly look forward to them, nor crave to play then like i do games like GTA, but I always thoroughly enjoy playing them. :yes:

Playstation Blog mentions that everything from LBP1 and 2 will carry over to LBP3. Also, from Neogaf:

Originally Posted by TomShoe
Q: Wait, are you a part of MM or Sumo Digital?
A: I am from Sumo, good sir. ^^ Same with hodgy100 and McBradders who've posted here as well. :)

Q: Any word on improved physics? I love the LBP series, but man, the platforming is straight up garbage.
A: No, we've changed the controls to be loads tighter than LBP1 and LBP2. Lots more air steering, slightly higher jumps, doesn't carry momentum when landing or changing directions. And we've added more options to edit those controls in user created levels.
Last edited by donkey show
----------------------

Mind you, the videos haven't convinced me that this has changed much, but we'll see and good that there are more options in the custom levels.

I've played LBP2 with a kid a bit the past couple of weeks and I had forgotten just how bad the platforming aspect was! When you get used to it, you can adjust reasonably well, but having not played it for a couple of years, it really smacks you between the eyes how awkward movement is. I'd need that to be addressed before being tempted into another game.

Yes, there is no question that for playing with (younger) kids, Rayman Legends is the way to go. Some of the later levels have been designed around these weakness though. And I still think it has its charms- the physics can be really funny and keep things interesting as well. But the main draw is the interactivity and creation stuff, so it will be interesting if they can improve on both ends. I'll definitely get it, have loved all LBP games so far. I think the Vita version had some of the best levels. And while I am a little disappointed there isn't a version coming that takes full advantage of the PS4, I am still looking forward to seeing this in full HD and what the improvements and new features bring to the table. Apparently they managed to take the lighting much further.

Yes, there is no question that for playing with (younger) kids, Rayman Legends is the way to go. Some of the later levels have been designed around these weakness though. And I still think it has its charms- the physics can be really funny and keep things interesting as well. But the main draw is the interactivity and creation stuff, so it will be interesting if they can improve on both ends. I'll definitely get it, have loved all LBP games so far. I think the Vita version had some of the best levels. And while I am a little disappointed there isn't a version coming that takes full advantage of the PS4, I am still looking forward to seeing this in full HD and what the improvements and new features bring to the table. Apparently they managed to take the lighting much further.

Fully agree! But I do wonder how a LBP game would feel if it had Rayman type platforming?!?

But I am really looking forward to this one as our new platformer. I am currently playing Rayman Legends with my GF and it is super fun, but also quite challenging now in the later levels...which makes it quite satisfying when we manage to succeed.

Back