Little secret: I HATE OFF-ROADING!!!

And I just got back from picking my wife up from work since her bloody Wrangler wouldn't turn over. Everything seems fine, just it won't crank.

I didn't want to play with it tonight, I'll load up my car with some tools and play with it tomorrow during the daytime. <sigh>

When I got there to fix it I tried starting it and it fired up without any issue. Transferred my tools and stuff from my car to the Jeep and brought it home where I can trouble-shoot it a lot easier.

I'll have my wife take me with her to work tomorrow and I'll pick up my car, gods what a bother!

OMG. I asked her if she'd help me take my car in and she said sure and we'll go to the Badlands from there.
Sometimes I really don't think she gets how much I f-ing hate that. :(

Not only did we have to get winched out, but the Jeeps oil has water in it so I spent a few hours trying to get a tow 80 miles from home. Long/short the service department here that is opening in a few months agreed to try and fix our jeep tomorrow. They gave us a 50% deal on a cabin overnight and a golf cart to get around. They're really being super nice, but I'm now living my off-road nightmare.

Oh yeah, I was waste deep in water and mud hooking up the jeep to tow and yes I fell on my face doing so.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_192159.jpg
    IMG_20220910_192159.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
OK, gotta ask.

Why didn't you just go round the puddle?
Truthfully? I told my wife to drive through it and she did until we sank. Just woke up in this surprisingly nice cabin and Im debating on going to check on the jeep or go back to bed. They're going to call when they know something, but I don't think they would mind if I came by to ask about progress. If it ain't going well I gotta arrange transport home.
Oh yay, it just started storming again. Guess sleep it is until the rain is over. I'm living my jeeping nightmare. :)

Digi. You and your wife are true jeep owners.
Unlike those people using jeep for "mall crawling".

Missed opportunity jeep company didn't swoop in with full premium concierge service, and using your "adventures" as ads.

BAD NEWS EVERYBODY!

The engine is fine but the clutch wouldn't engage. They worked it for a while and got the Jeep to move, but she ain't doing more than 6mph.

Boss tech came by when I was trying it out and recommended the tech blast water up through the missing clutch drain plug because he thinks mud might be keeping it from engaging.

We can't rent a car, the new thing they're trying will take about an hour with no guarantee of success, and I am going slowly out of my mind. I gave up and called my little sister for a ride. She's 90 minutes away minimum but didn't hesitate for a second in agreeing. I don't deserve so much but right now I am damned grateful. (Also she reminded me that I changed the brakes and got her car running this summer after it had been "broken" for 3 years. Carma?)

Sorry I keep posting here, but my wife is snoring and I am so bored /tired/sick of all this. :(

So it was $650us for the initial work on the Jeep's engine changing the oil/filters 5 times to get the water out plus cabin rental and sweats and t-shirts to wear, about a grand out of pocket this weekend before we left. Just got a call from Badlands repair center and it looks like the Jeep is gonna need a new clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate that'll run about $1,775yus installed. A pretty good price and it's being installed by a guy who's owned 5 wranglers and works on 'em a lot so he's going to set it up right. They may have to change the oil/filters a couple more times which will add to the price, but it's worth it to save the engine. My wife was looking at hemi crate engines to drop in if this one is bad, $5,500 just for the bloody engine!
Glad to know it's salvageable and is being repaired, but damn this turned in to an expensive $35us off-road trip! ($35 is how much we pay to drive around the Badlands)

Oh and when it gets home I'm gonna be spending days pulling the seats and carpet out and cleaning them, SO MUCH FUNZ!!!

At least you're doing something you love... :runaway:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In a weird way I'm actually more in love with the Badlands now, they've just been bending over backwards to be helpful and kind which just isn't what I'm used to when I have car issues. I asked my kids if they thought that after this little adventure that maybe my wife would change her opinion of off-roading, but they both just laughed and said no way. At least hopefully the clutch will work right after this, we had it replaced less than 2 years ago but it never really felt right. The garage that fixed it closed a week later due to lack of staffing and business due to covid so we've just been dealing with it, that's why I'm excited an actual Jeeper type is working on it so hopefully it is an improvement instead of just a repair.
My wife just texted me back and she's incredibly happy, she thought it was going to be over $5k. :)

My wife just texted me back and she's incredibly happy, she thought it was going to be over $5k. :)

Did you just miss an opportunity to extract some funds for PC updates? One dollar for the Jeep, One dollar for the PC. ;)

Did you just miss an opportunity to extract some funds for PC updates? One dollar for the Jeep, One dollar for the PC. ;)
I was actively planning on a new mobo/cpu/memory for sure, there are some insane deals at MicroCenter right now and I have 2 near me, but I blew that by having my car repaired. $1,400 on that kills the upgrade plans for a bit, but it's worth it to have my Emmy back. :love:

EDITED BITS: I was gonna go a dime for every dollar on the jeep, I'd still be able to afford my upgrade! Not to fear though, once all the vehicles are home there's still the matter of cleaning her jeep which is just a ball busting bit of nasty for a few days. THAT'S the next opportunity. ;)

Home is good, I like being home. I have the bestest sister in the world and my puppies are going nuts from missing me. Next up, I get to start pricing snorkels for the Jeep! ;)
You know the electronics will still get ruined even with a snorkel. You need a much older vehicle to trash like this or to pay attention to the fording depth regardless.

Back