Linux

mkillio

Regular
I'm thinking of trying out Linux and I was just wondering what your guys's opinion on it was and which one to try and where to get it.

mkillio said:
I'm thinking of trying out Linux and I was just wondering what your guys's opinion on it was and which one to try and where to get it.

It's a good solid version of Unix for the most part. Purists tend to like BSD, but I think RedHat is a little easier for the beginner. You can either buy the CD's in the shops (you can pay more for support), or you can download the distribution from various sites. www.redhat.com would be a starting point.

I was also hoping not to buy it.

Well, I am currently downloading Mandrake 9.2 along wit the extras. I'll let you know tomorrow night what I think about it. I have to get a HD from work to put it on and then I'll install it after class.

mkillio said:
If you just want to try it out, i cannot recommend KNOPPIX enough. It is a live Linux (debian based) filesystem on a bootable CD.
It autodetects even the latest hardware (my Dell D600 laptop, for instance, works great - even the wireless). Its a no hassle "setup" - just boot to the CD. Take it out when you tire of it. It has Staroffice, etc - fully featured.

Add to that, you can do a proper install of Linux from it, and what you get is a full featured Debian install, but all your hardware works without having to dick with it. DEbian is regarded as one of the most stable and reliable linux distros, and knoppix is no exception - its just alot easier to use.
Try it out, its totally worth it.

Also, check here: DistroWatch
Good info.

I found SuSE substantially easier to work with than Red Hat.

Linux itself is a great kernel, but I've never quite been convinced by the design philosophies underlying Unix, which are aimed at power for experts not ease of use.

although i dont run linux currently (gave the comp to wife, and had to go windows with it). I would suggest going with gentoo. Its a big pain in the ass to learn exactly how everything is put together. But god, you learn alot. I had to install/reinstall at least 30 times, but the end i didnt even need to look at the directions to get to have it running properly.

So if you really want to learn how to get it up and running, and how/why things go in a certain order, then go gentoo.

later,
epic

mkillio said:
I was also hoping not to buy it.

Well, I am currently downloading Mandrake 9.2 along wit the extras. I'll let you know tomorrow night what I think about it. I have to get a HD from work to put it on and then I'll install it after class.

Mandrake is a good distro to start with Linux; very easy install and runs quite flawlessly.
If you're using a NVidia card, the first problem is enabling 3d support. But'll find plently howtos on the net.
If you're having problems with Mandrake, just pm I'll try to help you as much as I can...

I've tried, Knoppix, Mandrake, SuSe, Redhat, Debian, Lycrois and a few others. Knoppix is a great way to get an idea of what you'll encounter very fast. SuSe is the slickest and is slightly better with drivers, though installing things is a bit more of a pain since you have to do things the SuSe way. The Redhat way is very popular so either that or Mandrake would be your best for ease of use and documentation.

I'm starting to lean more towards BSD these days, but I doubt our needs our simillar.

The Baron said:
how DO you install Debian from Knoppix, anyway?
knx-hdinstall
or
knoppix-install
two different scripts, they do the same thing, slightly differently.
knx-hdinstall is easier, imo.
must run them as root, so sudo.

Knoppix Info

Personally, i lean towards Solaris (being a sun se), so whatever :)

Ok, so I installed Mandrake 9.2 along with the extras. I st it all p including root user and password and all the other user and password stuff. Then it rebooted and started to load everything and it went to a screen that asked for my login, I entered, then it asked for the password, I put it in. Then it went to a line that said

[mike@pcp01088454pcs mike]$

mike was my login name, I was keeping it simple. what the hell do I do from here? I tried reinstalling it without putting in any usernames or passwords and it still went to it. I then tried a third time, my current state, but I did not install the extras, mainly to save time. I did not enter a root user name/password but I did put in a name/password for the regular user. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

BTW, Trillian is one of the coolest programs ever.

mkillio said:
Ok, so I installed Mandrake 9.2 along with the extras. I st it all p including root user and password and all the other user and password stuff. Then it rebooted and started to load everything and it went to a screen that asked for my login, I entered, then it asked for the password, I put it in. Then it went to a line that said

[mike@pcp01088454pcs mike]$

mike was my login name, I was keeping it simple. what the hell do I do from here? I tried reinstalling it without putting in any usernames or passwords and it still went to it. I then tried a third time, my current state, but I did not install the extras, mainly to save time. I did not enter a root user name/password but I did put in a name/password for the regular user. Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

BTW, Trillian is one of the coolest programs ever.

Well, cool be a lot of things:

A) First of all do use the X-environment as default? if not type "startx" at the prompt. If this is not the case, than the XServer (the graphical environment can't start, which is probably due to problems of the display driver of the graphics card -> fetch drivers from Internet -> see B).

B) Do you have an ATI graphics card? If yes, you'll need to fetch ATI's latest linux drivers and install them as mentioned in the help file. (a friend of mine had the same problem)

I was just wondering what programs you guys recommend for Linux, such as office programs, web browsers, anti-virus, media players etc.

Firebird, OpenOffice, and Emacs.

Ohhhh... Emacs. My one true love.

Firebird is a web browser from the Mozilla folks--Mozilla core, no email, no nothing except a web browser. Unbelievably fast, no popups, tabbed browsing, etc. Best browser out there right now, bar none.

OpenOffice is an office suite that is the open-source core of StarOffice. I use it instead of Office now (although that's primarily because I have no clue where my Office CD is). To be honest, I haven't missed Office at all since I installed OO.

Emacs--the ultimate text editor. (I've reached the point where I don't type stuff in a word processing app, I type it in emacs and then dump the output. macros are fun when you're writing an annoyingly long paper.)

Saem said:
vi ownz j00z!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!111

=)
you know, the original version of that post said, "Please, for the love of God, don't start emacs versus vi." ;)

I'm having alot of trouble installing these programs. i.e. firebird and xine. I extracted them to the folder I wanted them in. But i can't find the install files. Also anyone know where to get an ATI driver for the 9800 that supports the latest (system x, or start x. I think that's what it's called in the terminal you would type startx to show a graphical ver. of linux) it's like ver. 4.3.2 I think. ATI's website only supports ver. 4.3.0.

This 1024x768 is killing me with my 21" monitor.

Back