Linux

mkillio said:
I'm having alot of trouble installing these programs. i.e. firebird and xine. I extracted them to the folder I wanted them in. But i can't find the install files. Also anyone know where to get an ATI driver for the 9800 that supports the latest (system x, or start x. I think that's what it's called in the terminal you would type startx to show a graphical ver. of linux) it's like ver. 4.3.2 I think. ATI's website only supports ver. 4.3.0.

This 1024x768 is killing me with my 21" monitor.

Xine should be already installed on your linux (multimedia folder in the start menu), if not you can install it via the "install software option" of your mandrake control centre. Xine doesn't change that much so it should probably a pretty new version. If not, try this site with daily built Mandrake rpms. It also includes DVD support for encrypted DVDs. http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
Just follow its intructions and you should be fine.

The graphical environment is called X server. So your X server is 4.3.2 and the ATI driver only supports 4.3.0? Are there some issues? Have you already checked that the resolution isn't limited by the configuration of the monitor?
If it's not the monitor, there're some things you could do but they 're rather lengthy and complicated so check that first.

Now to http://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/; apparently no Mandrake rpm is avaiable which leaves you with ./configure; make; make install Here's a FAQ about this http://www.faqs.org/contrib/yal/page7faq.htm and then here's the detailled stuff http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Building-HOWTO-3.html

EDIT: for clarification

The Baron said:
Saem said:
vi ownz j00z!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!111

=)
you know, the original version of that post said, "Please, for the love of God, don't start emacs versus vi." ;)

"Ed is the standard text editor." :LOL: (probably funny only for those who have actually had the misfortune of accidentily firing up ed at some point in their unix careers - but sooner or later, it'll happen to you too..)

ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair. Just look:

Code:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root          24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t  4 root     1310720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Florin said:
"Ed is the standard text editor." :LOL: (probably funny only for those who have actually had the misfortune of accidentily firing up ed at some point in their unix careers - but sooner or later, it'll happen to you too..)

I have actually on one or two occasions found a need to use ed. IIRC, it was some multi-hundreds of gig flat-file database that needed a little bit of fiddling. Vi simply couldn't get the swap/mem to load the file, where ed could simply jump to the bits I needed to change without loading the whole file.

Sure, I could have written something to scan through the file sequentially and make the changes I needed, but it was a lot quicker just to do a few edits in ed.

the ATI 9800 defenitley is not supported. I go straight to the command prompt with it. And I can't install ATI's driver because it creates a "conflict error".

mkillio said:
the ATI 9800 defenitley is not supported. I go straight to the command prompt with it. And I can't install ATI's driver because it creates a "conflict error".

Did you force it? Because you have to force Mandrake Linux...

rpm -i --force blabla.rpm

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/readme0370.txt

Note for RedHat 8.0 users:
RedHat 8.0 installations often include a specific version of the
libGL component. (For example, provided by the rpm package
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72). Installing the ATI Linux driver package
causes a conflict because the ATI Linux drivers include a custom-built
libGL version providing extra pbuffer support. The ATI libGL is backward
compatible to the respective XFree86 libGL version.

Install the ATI Linux driver package and replace the existing libGL
installation as follows:

- Force RPM to use the replacement file of the ATI driver package:
rpm -i --force <ati_package_name>.rpm
NOTE: This includes overriding the rpm warning

or

- Remove the existing libGL installation and then install the new libGL
with the ATI driver installation.
For example:

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72
rpm -Uhv <ati_package_name>.rpm

NOTES:
(1) Ensure that no OpenGL program is running during installation
(2) You need the "--nodeps" option because some screen savers, qt-3,
and some parts of XFree86 might depend on the libGL presence.
Installing the new libgl from the ATI package will restore the
required libGL presence.

Perform the following steps after you have installed the driver files:
- Run fglrxconfig to configure your XFree86 installation.
- Respond to the questions of the fglrxconfig program
- Save the settings to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

That applies for Mandrake as well...

mkillio said:
the RPM program only lets me istall software off of teh installation cd's.

I am sorry but I am pretty busy at the moment, so I can only drop in once in a while...
You've to run a console (shell) and use the rpm command exactly as described above.

Back