Linux is in trouble

The US Patent and Trademark Office ruled that the file system is "novel and non-obvious" and, therefore, deserving of a patent.

Yes, non-obvious indeed, it's a hideous abomination that even the most incompetent CS student would have a hard time to conceive.

I don't see how this spells doom for Linux distributors, they can just ditch FAT from the list of available file systems.

Cheers
Gubbi

Agreed. Just use ext3, and when you want to share stuff use Samba. Who needs FAT32 for Linux anyway? For sharing stuff off-line, you can always use a DVD (RW).

DiGuru said:
Agreed. Just use ext3, and when you want to share stuff use Samba. Who needs FAT32 for Linux anyway? For sharing stuff off-line, you can always use a DVD (RW).

Well the SMB protocol is probably next on MS' patent litigation list.

The only use for FAT I can see is for USB devices.

Cheers
Gubbi

AFAIK Linux uses FAT for Floppies.. oh and just about any USB-Stick uses it, together with other Media used by Cameras, Mp3-Players, etc. Some might want to move data back and forth between those and Linux.

Yes, non-obvious indeed, it's a hideous abomination that even the most incompetent CS student would have a hard time to conceive.
Dont throw around logic, that has nothing to do with it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
FAT itself is non-obvious. However, it's so old that any patent should already expire. I think the patents are about FAT32 and long file names. FAT32 is a quite obvious extension to FAT, but the long file name mechanism is probably not so obvious.

Whenever I've set my PC up for dual booting in the past, I'd have one partition for NTFS, one for ext3, one swap for Linux and a FAT32 partition for common storage between linux and Windows. I'd put all my music and videos in there, so I could watch them in either OS. I didn't want to mess with NTFS in linux, or use FAT32 for my Windows partition. If I couldn't do that anymore, it would really suck. I'm not workin' for big bucks yet, so two computers isn't really something I'd want to invest in.

Scott_Arm said:
Whenever I've set my PC up for dual booting in the past, I'd have one partition for NTFS, one for ext3, one swap for Linux and a FAT32 partition for common storage between linux and Windows. I'd put all my music and videos in there, so I could watch them in either OS. I didn't want to mess with NTFS in linux, or use FAT32 for my Windows partition. If I couldn't do that anymore, it would really suck. I'm not workin' for big bucks yet, so two computers isn't really something I'd want to invest in.

Set up a VMware Windows to access your NTFS partitions, use SMB to connect to that instance.

I know, cumbersome :(

Cheers

Gubbi said:
Well the SMB protocol is probably next on MS' patent litigation list.

Cheers
Gubbi
They already did that, to prevent the release of the next version of Samba. But the EU government threw them out, and wants a few hundred millions each day unless they cooperate on that.

Gubbi said:
Set up a VMware Windows to access your NTFS partitions, use SMB to connect to that instance.

I know, cumbersome :(

Cheers
Yes, or use your router as a server.

Back