UBIsoft in potential financial trouble

This right here is correct. Look at the best selling game of last year, Hogwart's Legacy. It had pushback from the both sides of the culture war, with the content of the game being criticized for having historically inaccurate diversity, LGBTQ+ characters, and gender inclusive character creation. There's also always some pushback to anything Harry Potter from some religious groups because it promotes witchcraft or something. The opposite side opposed the game because of Rowlings public comments on trans people. Honestly I don't think there has been a game released recently that has such a wide range of people it could offend, but it still outsold every game last year. Also, as I posted earlier, basically every game in the top selling games so far this year has some sort of "woke" content. I'm sure if I could find a a list of games the pro-woke crowd dislikes a lot of those games would be on that list as well.

Naoe fits this description.

Regarding Yasuke, I think it's important to remember that Assassin's Creed is a science fiction series that revolves around a device that uses the genetic memories of a person in the future to build a simulation of the past. The feudal Japan in the game is not real feudal Japan. It's a simulation. And to unlock that simulation, they would need someone who's ancestors lived in that place at that time, not necessarily someone who's genetic heritage existed at that place before that time. This isn't an accurate historical drama, it's a sci-fi stealth action game where characters use their DNA to enter the matrix that manifests as time travel constrained by quantum leap, or better yet, Trancers rules. Trancers might be the best analogy, because it includes things like the long second and the bodies remaining in the present while consciousness is sent back. Plus it features a villain who wants to remove free will from the population as a means of control, and a protagonist who champions free will and causes chaos wherever he goes. No one was complaining that Trancers didn't features a historically accurate 1984, and it was released in 1984! This whole thing is silly.

Sure there is are sci fi elements in AC, but that doesnt change the fact that AC is about in large part visiting historical settings. Ubisoft talked alot how they hired historical experts, their respect for japanse history and culture etc. They didnt claim this was some kind of alternative simulated version av Japan.

Sure there is are sci fi elements in AC, but that doesnt change the fact that AC is about in large part visiting historical settings. Ubisoft talked alot how they hired historical experts, their respect for japanse history and culture etc. They didnt claim this was some kind of alternative simulated version av Japan.

In the article I linked, one of the development issues with Shadows was that the historic bods were bought on later than usual. That why they've had to redesign building etc.

Well, the developers have stated they wanted players to experience Japan through the eyes of a foreigner. Should they modeled the player character after Tom Cruise so he could be the last samurai? Or is it more appropriate to include a famously foreign samurai?

At least one. He's been in at least 2 video games before you proclaimed that it would make no sense to include him in one. And those 2 games were made by Japanese developers. It might be 3 or more games. I think he appears in a non-playable state in some of the Nobunaga's Ambition titles. There are 16 mainline Nobunaga titles, and about as many more titles for handhelds that are usually mash ups and remixes, plus an MMO in that series. If Yasuke appears in only 2 of those 30+ games (and I think he's in more), he will be in more games than Solid Snake is as the main character in any of the Kojima directed Metal Gear titles. He might be in more games than Tony Hawk.

So yeah, I can't tell you how many Black Samurai there were. But there was at least one, and he's appeared in a bunch of games, books.... There was a Netflix Anime about him a couple of years ago. There wasn't even a culture war about him getting his own show on Netflix, though people probably didn't know he was in it because it's called "Yasuke". Oh, I guess they would. He's pretty famous.

They have never felt the need to let the player experience any other country as a forerigner in an AC game. (Didnt they use the term "non-japanese eyes" somewhere, which one could argue is a hilarious blunder when seen in the context of this controversy). Its blatantly obvious they choose him because he´s black. Even if Yasuke was a samurai he isnt representative of japanese or samurai culture. When people think of samurai they dont think of a 2 meter long african man, you think of a japanese man because that was what 99,999% of samurai were.

One thing that makes AC games fun is visiting historical places. The people you play effect historical events, so the fact that they went with a non-japanese person as the key person, someone who change the course of japanese history, who rids japan of corruption and who represent the samaruai etc is a very odd choice, and it isnt strange that people take issue with that.

Imagine a AC game set in Africa and the trailer said "become a legendary maasai warrior" and the trailer featured a pale, blond european man dressed in maasai clothing, slaughtering a bunch of maasai warriors. Also imagine him being twice their size. And the trailer also implied he is there to save them from them selves, "I must rid this bloody land of all its corruption". Its basicaly the same thing.

Of course one can try to rationalize this choice with all sorts of after the fact arguments. That is probably what Ubisoft did, and thats why they are in this mess. AC in Japan should be a slam dunk. They should have just gave gamers what they want, like Astrobot and Space Marine did.

So are we to believe that previous Assassin's Creed games are now the historical record of the world? The bulk of the game takes place in a simulation!
They should have just gave gamers what they want, like Astrobot and Space Marine did.
This is advocating for pandering to a base as opposed to making the game they want to make. I'm sorry, I can't get behind that. Let them make the game they want, and it can fail if it's not what "people want". Because that's how we determine what people want. They vote with their dollars.

So are we to believe that previous Assassin's Creed games are now the historical record of the world? The bulk of the game takes place in a simulation!

This is advocating for pandering to a base as opposed to making the game they want to make. I'm sorry, I can't get behind that. Let them make the game they want, and it can fail if it's not what "people want". Because that's how we determine what people want. They vote with their dollars.

They can make any game they want. If they want to make money having such a controversial main character wasnt the smartest choice.

Back