Life is Strange (by Dontnod Entertainment) [PS3, X360, PS4, XO]

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Anybody played this?

I just finished it and, it's a blast. It's like telltale game with much more budget and better designed.

Beautiful interactive movie.

The way the game encourage player to rewind also ties nicely with gameplay and story elements.

Now..
What happened when you take photo of the security guard harassing a girl? It seems a major plot point and I did not took the photo...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find it on the PSN? Where is it?
Nvm, found it from PC. Funny it has a free trial for ps3 but not ps4 ! WTH !

Last edited:
After I finish the TTG Collection this is on my consideration list. I'm curious about the game-rewind mechanics. When that happens, is it like just restarting at that point or is it more like a time-jump mechanism so the entire story continues to move forward? Can you game-rewind a game-rewind?

It's like loading and older save point but you can use the new knowledge from that alternate future for the current conversation. Hence changing the story flow.

@RenegadeRocks
It seems the game did not have simultaneous worldwide release on PS4.

on PC it's available for my country, but on PS4 it's not available in my country. It's available on US PSN store but bloody expensive. Much cheaper buying directly from steam for my region.

It's available now in my store too, but cheaper on the US one. Will buy from the US store. Haven't checked steam but I prefer games on my ps4 over my PC anyways.

I haven't played it yet because I like to wait for full season. But this game is right in where I like games to be - Walking simulator, cinematic, choices and consequences based simple gameplay. I'm going to buy it for sure. Even their last game, "Remember Me" was better then I expected. It had flawed combat system but if you ignore that, it was a lot of fun. Rewind mechnaic should be similar in this game (just theme is different, it was memories last time, this time it's... time ;)

I'm the same, this game is on my Steam wishlist and I'll definitely buy it but I'll wait until the full season is out. Which is ok because I don't have time to play it right now anyways.

I played around 10 mins of the free trial on the X1. It seems interesting so far. I like how you can walk around in 3rd person in some spots. Do you get to walk around in Telltale games?

I played around 10 mins of the free trial on the X1. It seems interesting so far. I like how you can walk around in 3rd person in some spots. Do you get to walk around in Telltale games?

Yes. Some titles more than others, but they all tend to have sections with walking around the environments.

Played a bit in the trial. The game sure looks beautiful ! At first I got turned off by the painterly visuals, thinking another toon shaded game. But then I entered the classroom scene and boy are the colours beautiful :D ! Has a painting-like look to it all. Hair is still bad looking.

Will chk out more tonight. If the story grips me, I will be in.

I went in expecting something shallow, then when the demo would not let me passed the bathroom I just had to purchase it. Colorful, fun to explore although the controls feel a bit too weighted in that you can swing passed what you wanted to focus on. If that is my only gripe so far though, I guess not bad.

I've been thoroughly intoxicated by this over the weekend, spending 8+ hours noodling around. The stand out aspect of this for me is the visuals.

I was put off by the lo-fi hair when I saw a video clip a couple of weeks ago and again when I started playing the game. But soon I was sucked in by the painterly style and particularly taken with the rich quantity of photography throughout the world. I find the photographs quite compelling to look at. Partly that's just the photographer in me. I think the free form, dauby, de-rendering of the photographs, a semi-abstraction, has a powerful graphical attractiveness. It's another form of the kind of normalising aesthetic that's often seen in Instragram pix, a reduced palette, a softening coupled with a hyper-graphic reduction to key elements.

The overall effect is like a collection of album covers.

The music is a big part of the feel of the game, even if there isn't much variety. The musical interludes and the way Max's thoughts sometimes pop-up just from being there are reminiscent of My So-Called Life, capturing some of the languorous, reflective feel that series excelled in.

The lighting is quite subtle and skin shaders are nothing like as cartoonish as I was expecting, responding to the quality of light in the environment rather than being just flatly coloured by it.

Despite frequently wooden animations and bad lip-synch which never stop being jarring, facial expressions are really keen. At one point Kate gives Max a killer stare, which really cuts home. At the time I played, only 14% of all players stuck with the consequences of Kate's vitriol.

The registration plates are amusing.

I think people who play this in less than 3 hours are probably missing out on quite a bit of the game (e.g. the registration plates). There's some multi-character interaction in the conversation trees (i.e. some of the trees depend on what you've learnt by talking with other characters). And your engagement will be enhanced by reading all of the journal (back-story and as it unfolds). Taking all the pictures, chatting to everyone, reading all the little notes and posters...

Rewind itself is mostly about presenting you with an active choice in the consequences, even if those consequences only live in your imagination, since there's no cost (except your time) in exploring the choices. Warning: the game save system is ruthless, since there's only 3 slots and while you're in game play there's no way to know what's in each of the 3 slots. Pay attention if you want to go back and forth amongst the scenes. Saves are only done automatically and they're sparse.

The action sequences are genuinely exciting.

It's very much an interactive programme. There's no skill-based challenge as such. Instead it's very much about being there, letting your imagination roam, and weighing Max's choices and their consequences. Which I like, a lot.

2015-01-31_00001.jpg

Last edited:
I only played the demo. The parents-who're-trying-to-speak-like-they're-down-with-the-kids kinda writing really turned me off. Or do modern teenagers really talk like internet memes? Have they really become that insufferable? Also, Max is so indie it's almost painful. And when Max's hipster teacher dropped the John Lennon quote I really missed an option that let me blast him in the face.

Why the hell won't french developers pick a setting that's actually familiar to them? From the American setting of Heavy Rain to Beyond's idea of a CIA operative to this little high-school drama, none of it feels authentic.

Last edited:
Well I set up a tripod, set my camera to f5.6 and a 650th, set the self-timer to 10 seconds, pre-focussed and fired the shutter. Then I stared vaguely at the camera in that vacant way I like to do and waited for it to take the picture.

Oh, wait, I forget. I took that picture a few days ago, I remember now. I really should takes notes on these things. Maybe I should get a portable dictaphone with those cute little tape cassettes and make voice notes for my photographs. So, anyway, I got Brooke to stop playing with her drone for a bit and she came over and took my non-selfie using my polaroid. Maybe other people can see the hero in me?

@Jawed
omg i just relized that i CAN place the world-cam in front of Max. Thanks mouse :D

@Scott_Arm
im not native english but for me the writing and vocie is spot on. She's sounds like those teenagers in those "transition" time, complete with the wavering, inconfident tone. The wiriting support that voice tone.

This is one of the games I am most excited about as of currently so hopefully I can try the demo on my Xbox One over the weekend. I've read mixed to positive reviews about the game.

So far all I've read about it is that the writing and voice acting are horrible.

I wouldn't exactly call it horrible. I just don't think it's as good as it ought to be considering how important the narrative is. It's certainly nowhere near the telltale standards.

Back