LF: game engine recommendation (Unity etc)

Scott_Arm

Legend
I'm thinking of making a simple game (hockey) for myself. I figure an existing game with clearly defined rules would be a good way to start with hobby game development. I just need to start with a player that moves around, then add a puck, then a net, etc etc.

Unity seems to be a very popular package that people use. I've seen a few others like Torque3D. Because I'm not going to be selling anything, free for basic use would be nice, but I don't mind spending $100. I just don't want to buy a commercial type package. What I would like is something flexible enough that I can make something more advanced over time. For instance, if I want to start adding more sophisticated physics, I would like to be able to do that, even though where I'm starting will probably be like NES Ice Hockey. I know Unity keeps some features locked behind Unity Pro, and it would suck to get to a point in a year or two where I'm limited by the tools.

I don't think I'll ever be a great modeler or animator, so the look of the game would probably remain very primitive unless I brought another person in on my hobby.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on where I should start?

The free version of Unity lets you do a lot of stuff. You're not likely to be limited by it for a hobby project. You don't get stuff like the ability to compile for some platforms or dynamic shadows, but you can still program the latter yourself if you want to. And you still get the physics engine.

The most useful feature that is absent from the free version is the profiler, it's really helpful to identify performance issues.

The free version of Unity lets you do a lot of stuff. You're not likely to be limited by it for a hobby project. You don't get stuff like the ability to compile for some platforms or dynamic shadows, but you can still program the latter yourself if you want to. And you still get the physics engine.

The most useful feature that is absent from the free version is the profiler, it's really helpful to identify performance issues.

Unity is where I'm leaning, because it seems like they have good tools for a beginner (which is what I am and will be for a long time). Also, it is free, which is great for my budget.

I'm working with unity right now.

Pretty good so far. Everything can be learned from the tutorials and documentation.

Last time I worked with Unity was 3.0, but 4.0+ is quite nice.

Pretty good so far. Everything can be learned from the tutorials and documentation.

Cool. I'm going to download it tonight and poke around. I promise you, in 5 to 10 years, I'll have a barely passable hockey game to show for it.

if you want to try 2D. You can make working prototype very rapidly using Construct 2.

but i do think Unity is far better although more complicated. With Unity, you can expand more your knowledge for far more various game than in Construct.

I guess that outside unity, I'll need a basic modeling tool. I would like to get to the point where I can apply some physics to the player if they get hit. Learning to do some basically modeling is going to take a lot of time in itself. Is there a preferable tool to use if you're hobbying?

I see the Unity manual has this list:

Currently, skinned meshes can be imported from:

Maya
Cinema4D
3D Studio Max
Blender
Cheetah 3D
XSI
Any other tool that supports the FBX format

I guess that outside unity, I'll need a basic modeling tool. I would like to get to the point where I can apply some physics to the player if they get hit. Learning to do some basically modeling is going to take a lot of time in itself. Is there a preferable tool to use if you're hobbying?

I see the Unity manual has this list:

Currently, skinned meshes can be imported from:

Maya
Cinema4D
3D Studio Max
Blender
Cheetah 3D
XSI
Any other tool that supports the FBX format

You'll be faster than 5-10 years. Unity can make a game in a couple of hours, you could create pong fairly fast. I was able to make a mobile based pool game fairly quickly, it's sorta easy to have a physics model included into Unity since it's just matter of checking some boxes on the game object. There are semi pro modelling tools on Steam. Fuse comes to mind; it's on sale now. During each steam sale there are actually quite a few indie tools available for purchasing at extremely cheap prices.

You'll be faster than 5-10 years. Unity can make a game in a couple of hours, you could create pong fairly fast. I was able to make a mobile based pool game fairly quickly, it's sorta easy to have a physics model included into Unity since it's just matter of checking some boxes on the game object. There are semi pro modelling tools on Steam. Fuse comes to mind; it's on sale now. During each steam sale there are actually quite a few indie tools available for purchasing at extremely cheap prices.

This tool, Blender http://www.blender.org/, is free and supposedly imports FBX, which is what Unity needs. Wings3D seems like it would be suitable as a free tool as well. http://www.wings3d.com/

Yea it was not a problem importing blender into unity. I had someone else provide example models for me, I couldn't use blender, I actually find it pretty hard to model with.

Interesting. If I can't get a grasp on it, I'll find something else. For a while I'll probably just be messing around with very basic stuff to figure out how Unity works. Cubes and spheres level of stuff.

The good thing about hockey, is I only need a puck, a net, boards, an ice surface, a goalie model and a skater model. Only the two player models require real effort. I wouldn't go for realism. I'd go for stylized simplicity.

;)
Do your best! Don't give up. I think Unity has a great future in front of it. Not to mention easy bridge to X1 if you ever complete a game. Unity ports freely and well into MS. You're likely to be accepted into the ID@Xbox program with a completed unity free version of your game.

;)
Do your best! Don't give up. I think Unity has a great future in front of it. Not to mention easy bridge to X1 if you ever complete a game. Unity ports freely and well into MS. You're likely to be accepted into the ID@Xbox program with a completed unity free version of your game.

I appreciate that you're thinking big on my behalf.

for me blender have very steep learning curve, so ... maybe try ... agh i forgot the name.

It's japan-made 3d modeling tool that very easy to use. Although the the interface is very ugly...
Basically the workflow is almost the same as Google SketchUp 3D. So you start with basic blocks model, then refine it.

but what the program is called ....
ah, Brain. You disappointed me.

EDIT:
that software also have very limited file format support. So Blender is still needed to convert things.

I made a marble that rolls around on a flat surface with a camera following it. If you roll the marble off the edge, it falls forever.

How much do you think I can sell this for?

I made a marble that rolls around on a flat surface with a camera following it. If you roll the marble off the edge, it falls forever.

How much do you think I can sell this for?

Over $9000!

Or you could add some walls, map the arrow keys of the keyboard to rotations for the object, and you'd have a tilt maze game. It's very simple, but it's a real game.

Over $9000!

Or you could add some walls, map the arrow keys of the keyboard to rotations for the object, and you'd have a tilt maze game. It's very simple, but it's a real game.

Right now I've got a flat surface with some walls, a ramp and a puck. I can use the arrow keys to apply forces to the puck to steer it around and jump it into the wall. I'd have to do some research on friction to see if I can get it right. The puck doesn't fall flat often enough, and tends to land on its edge. Not sure what that's about.

Can you increase friction on the edge of the puck but not its bases? That should make it tip over.

Back