Learning to drive

Pfff, I've lived through more car accidents already than I care to think about....and those were back before wearing your seatbelt was all fashionable!

I've gotten facial reconstruction from pushing a rearview mirror through a windshield with my glasses/eyes learning why not to drive drunk, and rolled a car 4 times another time learning that same lesson. (Although that time I landed on all 4 wheels so I just drove home, the car was pretty much dented all over though and a couple of windows broke)

I think I've learned where my limit is, and I try and avoid getting any where near it when driving. I got kids now, I can't afford to get hurt. :p

I think I've learned where my limit is, and I try and avoid getting any where near it when driving. I got kids now, I can't afford to get hurt. :p
It's not about you, though. If nature or somebody else puts you in unexpected danger, winter tires decrease you breaking distance and help your handling, and in the end just increase the options you have.

EDIT: Here are some tests I googled. The handling and breaking difference is more than that between a Ferrari and a Lincoln Navigator.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough that, but I try and compensate by giving myself plenty of braking room all around in the winter and avoid putting myself in situations I can't get out of.

True enough that, but I try and compensate by giving myself plenty of braking room all around in the winter and avoid putting myself in situations I can't get out of.
Almost everybody does - even the dickhead drivers are less of a dickhead in winter conditions. Nonetheless, you still get more accidents in the winter.

Almost everybody does - even the dickhead drivers are less of a dickhead in winter conditions.
Oh man, I beg to disagree! The first snow of the season here is like a re-education for people every single year, it's amazing at the level of stupidity you'll see. I actually avoid the roads if possible for the first few snows, just 'til people remember how to drive in the winter. :???:

Hair? Nah, you've got me confused for some other guy that doesn't take a razor to his head (although it's about 0.5mm right now, needs doing again!) :p

Picked her up this evening, I'm like a kid on Christmas day right now.

clio-rys.jpg
hey I know that guy

(I'm still liking my year-old Mazda 3. starting to think about what to replace it with, though--good lord...)

Oh man, I beg to disagree! The first snow of the season here is like a re-education for people every single year, it's amazing at the level of stupidity you'll see. I actually avoid the roads if possible for the first few snows, just 'til people remember how to drive in the winter. :???:

Heh, yeah, sometimes I wonder if snow contains some narcotics or such :LOL:

ive been getting lessons from my daddy. didnt wanna pay for lessons to learn some manouvres...

and then, i was practising hill start, about 10th time i smelled white rubber smoke.
...clutch burnout! it ran about 75k km and i think it will cost around 120-150GBP to change to a new one!

I hate clutch control when doing hill starts... i just cant let go the brake even i am thinking it is in biting point.

What really helps is wearing the right kind of shoes (or even none). There are some really firm shoes that prevent you from feeling the clutch properly, making exactly stuff like hill starts really tough. Normally they shouldn't be too hard, just as long as you apply a little bit of throttle. Then when you feel the car pulling forward even with the brakes on, you're set to go. And of course you should try to learn to do that with the handbrake, not the regular brake, as on most cars they work on different tires.

ive been getting lessons from my daddy. didnt wanna pay for lessons to learn some manouvres...

and then, i was practising hill start, about 10th time i smelled white rubber smoke.
...clutch burnout! it ran about 75k km and i think it will cost around 120-150GBP to change to a new one!

I hate clutch control when doing hill starts... i just cant let go the brake even i am thinking it is in biting point.

Here's a tip for learning hill starts.

Don't use the clutch or the gas or anything other than the brake for a bit. Just get used to how quickly (slowly) the car will start to move back down the hill. Obviously make sure you have the road to yourself and there's nothing you'll run into. :) Stop, ease off brake, wait a couple seconds and rebrake. Again make sure you don't run into anything. :)

Then practice on a flat (over and over and over) doing smooth starts from standstill. Practice not even using gas but the clutch only to get the car moving.

While not a good idea for extended use on the clutch. Find a very slight incline. practice keeping the car stationary with no brake. Just using a combination of the clutch and gas.

Before you know it, it'll be second nature and you won't even think about it...Unless you're on a hill, covered in ice, with a @#$#ing tailgater behind you. :)

Regards,
SB

Well, I had my test this morning and.......I passed! Woohoo! Going to have a cup of tea, calm down, and then go out for a little drive, sans learner plates. Such a good feeling to finally get there!

Hooray!

Back