Learning to drive

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
I've not been around much for the last six months or so, mostly because of life and work not being terribly great. My desire to spend any time at a keyboard after spending 9 hours at work for work is close to zero, and when I do feel like it I don't do much 3D.

Anyway in an attempt to get something fun and enjoyable away from the keyboard into my life, I've started to learn to drive :D I figure it's about time really, given that I'm nearly 30, and in true Rys fashion I've done it all a bit backwards, buying a car first before I passed my test.

I've been driving around in my girlfriend's Fiesta for a little while, since getting my provisional, and I've recently started formal lessons with a proper instructor. Got my theory test in early July, so hopefully all going well I'll have passed come the end of September.

Being nearly 30 meant I didn't have to get something too cheap and slow, for fear of the insurance being a total nightmare. Years on the road count less than years on your body for some reason. To my benefit though....

clio.jpg

It's a 172 with 182 wheels and some other non-standard bits here and there. Hopefully, all going well, I pick it up later this afternoon! I bought it a few weeks ago, but I've been waiting for the private plate to get taken off and the car reregistered with the original number (or possibly a new one).

So if you live near Sheffield, watch out for me zooming around in with my L plates on :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8118341.stm

The number of people killed on UK roads has reached a record low, according to government statistics.

There were 2,538 people killed on Britain's roads in 2008, which is the lowest annual total since records began in 1926.

That is 14% down on the 2007 figure. The highest recorded post-war annual total was nearly 8,000 in 1966.

Keep in mind that its not a tank. ;)

Rys said:
Being nearly 30 meant I didn't have to get something too cheap and slow, for fear of the insurance being a total nightmare. Years on the road count less than years on your body for some reason. To my benefit though....

They think you're mature enough not to whizz around the streets of Sheffield. ;)

Enjoy. :)

Yeah, it's a Clio. I rented almost that exact Clio during my holiday in the South of Spain (twice now actually). Really enjoy driving that car - its very sprightly and nimble. Congrats on the car, Rys!

It's Europe, so it's almost certainly to be a stick - with 75% (or more in some countries) of cars being manual you'd be crazy to get a licence using auto. That said, I drive auto ;) (it's so crazy crowded on streets and highways here that auto makes your life a lot more comfortable and safer as well - I can focus all my attention on the traffic, no distractions from shifting)

I also got my licence at 30 by the way (which is now almost five years ago). Never really needed it before. It's expensive to get a licence and expensive to drive a car, and I've wisely spent all that money on more fun things like computers, which netted me a career in the end. ;) I got it on my first attempt, so hopefully you too! We don't have the learners permit thing here though, you have to get your proper permit before you can drive anything other than a training vehicle (the one which has all pedals doubled on the passenger seat). This is also why it's more expensive here.

I think if you can it's very wise to get a licence at a later age, because yes, young kids get way more traffic accidents (and pretty serious ones often too), and for some reason this really has to do with age rather than how long you've been driving. Maybe it's the combination of still learning to be responsible and (alcohol induced) over-confidence. ;)

For many years BMW drivers were seen as the arrogant drivers on the roads, and its now started to swing towards Audi drivers now that BMW have over saturated the market and become a bit too passe really. I drive an Audi A4 2.4SE so I fall squarely into this category.

To my mind though, the only other drivers I hate more on the roads after Astra drivers, are Clio drivers. Always arrogant, always inconsiderate, always pushing in front of you because they are small and "quick" and then setting off the line sooo slowly. In one day recently, I was cut up, or blocked by five different Clio drivers.

With great power comes great responsibility. With a Clio, comes the responsibility to not be a turd on the road. Please don't learn any nasty Clio habits Rys!

Yeah, I'm learning using a manual. I can't remember the last time I saw a car with an auto box that wasn't big and German :D It's definitely common for the smaller cars like the Clio to be a manual in the UK and Europe, as Arwin says.

I chose the Clio for a few reasons:

• It's pretty economical when not driven hard, and ~30-35mpg is pretty easy when not pushing on.
  • It's light (1100kg with fluids, so I'll be nearly 10% of the laden weight!) and front-wheel drive, so it's easy on the tyres and easier for me to learn in as a new driver.
  • Within my price range (prices of the 172 and 182 have fallen nicely recently as Renault bring out the 200)
  • Insurable (insurance is 25% of the price I paid!)
  • Popular here, so spares and advice are easy to come by
  • Not so slow that I can't have a bit of fun when conditions permit :smile:

I certainly don't intend to be a driver that others don't like to share the road with. One of the reasons I've not learned to drive until now is my mum died in a car accident, so I'm acutely aware of the need for road safety. Hopefully I won't be a nuisance to anyone on the road with my driving habits because of that.

Here's hoping I pass first time, and my next lesson is on Tuesday. The Clio's owner just got in touch to say that he won't be home until late tonight, but I'm free to collect tomorrow. Can't wait!

It's a pretty quick little car with the 170 horses and I've heard it handles pretty well too. Try not to lose your license right away :)

I had the same logic. I'm around your age but only just recently got my first car because I couldn't justify the cost before, despite being able to afford it (though I did get my license many years ago). Insurance was too high at a young age, especially in Toronto.

When the recession hit, lower new car prices meant lower used car prices, so I got a 2003 330ci in great condition (albeit high mileage) for $9k+tax. Plenty quick in both the turns and the straights, but unfortunately I couldn't find a manual. I guess the steptronic is good enough given that much of my driving is in LA traffic.

Anyone else have a similar engine in traffic prone areas? I get almost 30mpg on the highway (if it's clear, of course) but only 12-15 in the city, and I'm wondering if that's symptomatic of something.

170hp on that little of a car will make it all full of quick and fun, and with a stick doubly so!

Is it left or right hand drive? (Dumb question I know, but I've been JONESING to try a right hand drive stick...I've never had the honor.)

Yeah, that's fairly symptomatic of traditional cars, I think. Especially regular fuel cars are optimised for different power bands, and they're very inefficient when they stop-start an idle a lot. The 330ci isn't extremely light either I think. This is where cars like the Prius (but also many other eco-cars) win the most over traditional cars.

BMWs that are released now already improved a lot. I think you should be able to find the tested values for highway vs city driving for your car on the web to see if that's typical of your car or if it might need something checked, but I think this is fairly normal. BMWs are great cars to drive though. And you can barely tell they're RWD.

EDIT: found a review of someone else with exactly your car, though in the UK (same year, same model)

The bad points of this car are:
Fuel consumption averages about 24 mpg. But admittedly I drive harder than most.
Tyres - I just bought a complete set and it cost £700…… but the rears last about 15k and the fronts about 30k before they HAVE to be changed.

That seems in line with your experience.

You know, if this was CSI (the "I" stands for *bullshit*) we'd be able to "unwarp" that photo of your car and not only get a photo ID of you, but also count how many hairs are on your head.

True story.

Anyone else have a similar engine in traffic prone areas? I get almost 30mpg on the highway (if it's clear, of course) but only 12-15 in the city, and I'm wondering if that's symptomatic of something.

Sounds about right for a 3.0 straight 6 bmw

(Btw, that generation bmw 3series coupe is awesome!! Nearly bought one a few years ago, but the vast amount of minorities that drive BMW's in norway turned me off from it, so got a merc coupe instead.)

(Btw, that generation bmw 3series coupe is awesome!! Nearly bought one a few years ago, but the vast amount of minorities that drive BMW's in norway turned me off from it, so got a merc coupe instead.)
Yeah, it drives well and looks as good as the E92, IMO. It's a bit overkill for a first car that probably won't do more than 4000 miles a year (which is why I don't car about gas cost), but it was too good to pass up. I always had a thing against BMW's for being expensive to maintain, overpriced due to brand/hype, and the snobbish attitude of BMW fans/owners, but used 330s are actually cheaper than G35s, despite costing more when they were new.

I think $9k for a car like this is a powerful statement about overcapacity in the auto industry. Let some other sucker pay for most of the depreciation and I'll get some serious value.

You know, if this was CSI (the "I" stands for *bullshit*) we'd be able to "unwarp" that photo of your car and not only get a photo ID of you, but also count how many hairs are on your head.

True story.

Isn't that what happens when you drive through London?

that's the price you pay for a powerful high end car that runs on gasoline, the only thing to do is to drive a lighter and less powerful car and/or a turbodiesel one.
Even that Clio might be quite gas guzzler in city driving. though I don't understand much the concept of getting fun in a car, it looks 20th century to me :p

I got a 2003 330ci in great condition (albeit high mileage) for $9k+tax. Plenty quick in both the turns and the straights, but unfortunately I couldn't find a manual. I guess the steptronic is good enough given that much of my driving is in LA traffic.

Is that an E46 M54?!? That's MY car! :D

I got the same thing with gas mileage. On the highway I can get in excess of 30mpg, but screwing around town I can get as little as 10mpg. (But I do drive like an idiot)

The steptronic annoys me as it's waaaay too slow, but it's nice to use to downshift for cops and such. ;)

EDITED BITS: Mine was $7,500 last year, a very good deal.

but also count how many hairs are on your head
Hair? Nah, you've got me confused for some other guy that doesn't take a razor to his head (although it's about 0.5mm right now, needs doing again!) :p

Picked her up this evening, I'm like a kid on Christmas day right now.

clio-rys.jpg

Back