LCD darkened pixels problem

Bagel seed

Veteran
Recently I've noticed some kind of darkening on the left side of my LCD, like it was dirty. But it isn't dirt.. it's most noticeable on a white background. I drew a pic to illustrate:

screenjt7.jpg

It's only visible when I have my screen brightness set low. When I turn it up to full brightness it isn't visible at all. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

LCD's operate off of backlights, part of your screen might be out of position. What you can do is get a towel and very very lightly apply pressure around the boarder of the screen itself then gently apply pressure to the outside of the frame. Some of the Dell monitors actually audibly pop when this is done because they ship with the frame out of position. I wouldnt try this unless its really bothersome.

The light itself may be failing as well.

Agreed.

More than likely, your screen is surrounded behind by four or more cold cathodes, and the left one is beginning to fail or is less bright at the lower voltage (at the lower "screen brightness" setting) than the others.

You can do it!

It's fun!

Getting a cold cathode of the right length/voltage/color temperature is the fun part.

I was actually amazed at how little there is to a backlight when I first pried an LCD open.

Some diffuse material, to spread the light evenly, and the backlights. That's it!

Back